Notices

Signing a contract with Therapist?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Signing a contract with Therapist?

I have recently been seeing a Therapist to get at some of the core issues of my alcohol abuse. She is drawing up a contract for me to sign stipulating a certain number of AA meetings a week I should attend and giving me 6 weeks to find a Sponsor. I was a little shocked I guess about the whole contract thing. Is this commpn practice? I am new to Therapy.

Thanks!
Malti
Old 01-16-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I signed a contract like that when I was discharged from rehab. I don't think it's too unusual at all. The psychiatric community knows how successful AA is, I read somewhere that one of their most important treatment goals is to get recovering A's into AA or NA. They are right to do so IMHO.

I am in an outpatient program that meets once a week. It is obligatory. I much prefer the AA meetings, especially my home group meetings.

They just want you to take it seriously, which, of course, you should....

Good luck... don't let it bug you too much. They are on your side. If you have any problems with the higher power thing, maybe you can modify the contract to include secular meetings, should be some around Atlanta (?)

Mark
Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What plan! Your Therapist gets the credit and the payday for the better life you'll find through AA.
Why didn't I think of that?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You'll find that many psychologists, therapists and rehabs use the AA 12 step approach to treatment, this is not at all uncommon. Unless your against the AA approach to treatment I don't see a problem with this.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When my psychiatrist diagnosed me with situational depression
and told me to quit drinking ...he suggested AA.
I don't remember signing a contract in "89.

I did go...still do and have not been back to a psychiatrist

Hope you will find your way to sobriety ...
Old 01-16-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I signed a 6 month outpatient contract saying I would go to at least 3 AA meetings a week, 1 morning meditation a week, and two group sessions a week.

Saved my life.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Contract? Really?

Is this some kind of therapeutic exercise?

What happens if you default on the contract?.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

My therapist would never force AA on me...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

The grim truth of recovery is that in the end...it's just like being born - you're alone and expected to make it with the help of others.

Help is all you get in recovery...but there can be no force of recovery or it would be slavery.

A contract for recovery is a valiant attempt at walking from here to Australia. If you don't want it - the help, the books, the sighs, and the tears will mean nothing.

If we can legally make contracts that are court supported I'd like to make one that commands my gf to make love to me 3 times a day if we marry. Yeah...pretty rediculous huh?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

just 2 things..

1. I would likely not sign a contract that demanded AA participation, because of my feelings about AA.

2. I am in the counseling field, contracts are often used as motivation, of course they're not "binding" in a legal sense, but sometimes they're a helpful tool to give someone more reason than themselves to do what might be best for them. I've never contracted someone in regards to addiction, but it's commonly used with people that are suicidal, puts their goals and promises outside of themselves and on paper.

Interesting..
Old 01-17-2009, 12:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would just sign and do whatever they say, I imagine you have already tried to deal with this problem by yourself unsuccessfully? I didn't have to sign a contract but was told that therapy is pointless if i continue drinking so i guess they are trying to help people who want to be helped. Is this a state funded therapist or private, i am guessing the former as if you are fronting all the money yourself they may just say what they said to me, stop or your wasting your money!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'll just wait and see what the contract looks like and I'm sure I will sign it. I'm not so much an advocate of AA (for ME although I know it has helped many) which is why I'm seeing a Therapist to begin with. My idea is it couldn't hurt so I'll "take what I can from it and leave the rest" as they say. I am also exploring SMART Recovery and they have face to face meetings in my area although not nearly as many as AA.

Oh, and this is a private Therapist to whom I write a check every week. I did attend an outpatient program where the meetings were required and was not at all surprised by that. Just seemed a little odd with my current Therapist.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you are serious about staying clean/sober.... why not sign the 'contract'.

I like it when therapists and counselors come up with unique ideas to aid a person's recovery.

It was a therpist's suggestion that I study the 12 steps - and it changed my life. The therapist explained that he couldn't be there to 'hold my hand' all of the time, forever. He said I need to learn how to cope on my own.

My ES&H says: give it a try, sign the 'contract'.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think it is more of a motivator and a commitment to at least work some sort of recovery program. It just means that if you don't follow through, the therapist can dump you without feeling guilty.

Mine wasn't legal or anything. Although I have heard of some therapists trying to force legal billing contracts. That's a scam for them to guarantee a bigger paycheck.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If I understand you...you are seeing a private therapist...one you are paying....I am assuming this is not a condition of some legal problem...and you are required to go to aa in order to continue therapy?

I would be looking for a new therapist.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give it a try, if you do'nt like AA then ask the therapist to recommend another recovery program. It can't hurt.:ghug3
Old 01-17-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dismember

My therapist has done the same. I wouldn't worry about it. They are asking you to meet their expectations for a course of treatment. Essentially they're asking you to co-operate with this "AA prescription" with a contract so they can act if you don't.

Therapists are in a tough position. A lot of clients are unwilling to participate fully, and so contracts like this are a way of giving therapists better means to dismiss you, confront you for noncooperation, etc.

The only thing that you shouldn't sign to is something with ludicrous terms. Like if you violate you must pay them $500. It should all seem like common sense, or ask them to explain it to you in more detail.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gold Member

When I was willing to do as the therapist asked, that is when I got better.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
When I was willing to do as the therapist asked, that is when I got better.

Amen. That says it all, good post.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You know, I have to add in a reply along Bugsworth's lines- I've been in therapy since I was 15- therapy should be about mutual respect, not coercion and demands- there are probably many good therapists in Atlanta- do you feel that this therapist treats you respectfully for the most part?