Notices

I am hating the nights.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am hating the nights.

Cant sleep only if I drink but I have cut down my drinking loads so it dont knock me out no more. Hating the nights. Dont know what to do dont wanna drink so much Im kncok out or I will lose my rehab place.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hang in there, Tripp. It will pass. You could always try some relaxation techniques. Or, read something good. Herbal tea? Mindless tv?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

after I quit drinking, I never had a sleeping problem again, once it was all out of my system.

Weird... Try it!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sleep is good

I am not yet sober. I know I can quit, I've done it 1000 times. Har.
But you are right about the sleep. Every time I have quit I sleep like a baby. I quit for four days before the holidays......and then I jumped off the wagon. Head first. I will get back on, if, for nothing else, the sleep. Right now, I don't sleep at all. Granted, even if I drink only 4-5 beers a night, I cannot sleep. Those four days last month contained the best sleep I've had since the last time I quit.

Thanks for listening, I don't know what I'm trying to say, but sleep is good.
and i need it.

I'll let you know when I quit again. Hopefully soon, I'm tired.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link that might help

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

There is also a new thread in our Insomnia Forum

Stay in focus....drinking is not an answer...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I sleep better sober than I ever slept drunk.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

I know exactly how you feel - like many it's the reason I started drinking "non-socially", but it progressed to drinking earlier and for other reasons (boredom, anger, most anything to alleviate my desire to change my circumstances).

Since drinking to sleep I've developed somewhat of a phobia regarding sleep and the evening hours. As the day turns to night I get antsy and depressed knowing I have to battle sleep.

I've researched my sleep problems quite a bit and it turns out the only thing I have to fear regarding not sleeping, is the fear of not sleeping!!! Everyone is different and I'm not an insomniac - a good test is to ask your parents if you had trouble sleeping as a baby (apparently that is good indicator for biologically induced sleep disorders).

Another thing I learned was that sleep has waves - think ocean waves in slow motion (I'm not talking about the sleep pattern waves - delta, etc.) As you are trying to sleep and if you can't just know that you haven't hit the "crest" of your sleep wave and it will soon be coming. If you miss a crest don't worry it will come back and come back more frequently. (Think of the crest as the window of opportunity for the best chance you have at feeling tired, relaxed, and most likely to fall asleep - I'm not sure exactly how this works or if it involves melatonin secretion, etc.)

Another little tip I use is to drink a bladder-buster's worth of water before bed - it's good for you and it really helps to relax you. You may have to get up in the middle of the night to void the liquid but I don't have problems staying asleep just getting to sleep. If you have a "small bladder" or have trouble with staying asleep drink a glass of water (8 oz.)

I hope the info helps someone. I really just wanted to say how much I can relate to the binge-insomniac-alcoholic.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I sleep loads wid no drink, but at the minute Im am drinking so sleep is bad.
I wet the bed with sleepers
Im getting help tho so things are getting better, getting residential detox

Thanks for all the help everyone helps, me so much
Bless : )
Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I can really relate to the night time/sleep dilemma. My first 4 nights of abstinence I slept 1-3 hours a night and walked around in a daze. I'm on day 15 now, and have been able to get about 6 good hours of sleep a night by going to the gym each day and taking 500mg of Valerian Root an hour before trying to sleep (you can take 800-1000mg, but it's best to try a lower dose first). What's difficult now is trying to change my pattern of thinking after I get off work at nite (I usually work 2nd shift). I'm conditioned to think of "rewarding" myself after work with a snack and several glasses of wine while I space out in front of t-v. Now I have to be content with a snack, herbal tea, and herbal supplement. Although it feels as though I'm depriving myself and have nothing to look forward to at the end of the day, it sure feels great to wake up in the morning clear-headed!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I definitely relate to the "phobia about nights" comment. Looking back in hindsight, one of the reasons I kept on drinking is because I had a phobia that if I did NOT drink then I would not be able to sleep. This thinking was confirmed by the fact that, if you are an alcoholic who drinks all the time, the first night without drinking is pretty hellish.

However, after a while, the insomnia does go away, and the sleep quality is better than ever. It might take weeks or even months, but it will get better. Hang in there.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sleep is important.
I sometimes take Tylenol PM, and i sleep pretty good with that.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
Sleep is important.
I sometimes take Tylenol PM, and i sleep pretty good with that.
Tylenol PM works for me too.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by Trippstar View Post
Cant sleep only if I drink but I have cut down my drinking loads so it dont knock me out no more. Hating the nights. Dont know what to do dont wanna drink so much
Code:
Im kncok out or I will lose my rehab place.
Hi Trippstar! I just came off of a 4 day detox from hell. I didn't sleep but maybe 4-5 hours in total for all of those days. Drinking didn't knock me out anymore either as I was a 24/7 around the clock drinker -- on every binge that I go out on -- I stayed in my "drinking chair" to drink, sleep, eat etc...for days.

Good sleep will come in time! I'm finally getting there and you will too! I'm not understanding your last sentence too well... When are you attending rehab?? I sure want to see you make it in! Do you have outside support???

Be good to you!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nickishine View Post
[/CODE]
Hi Trippstar! I just came off of a 4 day detox from hell. I didn't sleep but maybe 4-5 hours in total for all of those days. Drinking didn't knock me out anymore either as I was a 24/7 around the clock drinker -- on every binge that I go out on -- I stayed in my "drinking chair" to drink, sleep, eat etc...for days.

Good sleep will come in time! I'm finally getting there and you will too! I'm not understanding your last sentence too well... When are you attending rehab?? I sure want to see you make it in! Do you have outside support???

Be good to you!
Wow nickishine your story sounds similar, on my last vodka and valium binge I was in the same chair for 3 days. I could hardly get up without falling over. I ended up doing a 2 day hospital detox. The first month sober was hell with insomnia, anxiety and depression. I don't think I was really back to normal until I hit the 2 month mark. The insomnia and anxiety can be very bad when comming off a major drinking binge.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

tylenol & alcohol don't mix

Please do not take any tylenol if you are still drinking.

"Can I drink alcohol and take Tylenol PM?
Labeling for all OTC pain relievers, including Tylenol, contains an alcohol warning. Labeling for all Tylenol products reads as follows:
"If you consume 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day, ask your doctor whether you should take acetaminophen or other pain relievers/fever reducers. Acetaminophen may cause liver damage."

Additionally, the labeling for all products containing an antihistamine (Tylenol PM) advises to avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this product."
Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have the exact same issuses! I know what you are feeling. I have heard it gets better.
I slept for 1 1/2 hours last night. But not all together. Like 30 mins each time.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

For anyone that wants to save money that takes Tylenol PM just buy Benadryl. It's the same active ingredient for the sleep factor Diphenhydramine. I personally use Melatonin and it works great. My first w/d I didn't sleep for more than a few hours for about a week. This last time I literally slept like a baby for a week. Strange.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sara9009 View Post
For anyone that wants to save money that takes Tylenol PM just buy Benadryl. It's the same active ingredient for the sleep factor Diphenhydramine. I personally use Melatonin and it works great. My first w/d I didn't sleep for more than a few hours for about a week. This last time I literally slept like a baby for a week. Strange.
Thanks for the tip! Not sure why I didn't think of this because my daughter has a sleeping disorder & her Dr said to give her double the normal dose. It does work for her!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The rehab place is coming, just a bit of wait. Im still attending 1 to 1's and some groups that I benefit from. I dont want the sleeping pills though if you know what I mean they make me ill. I would rather stay awake and feel my feelings rather than being knocked out.
Bless
Old 01-25-2009, 01:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am 2.5 months sober now, and sleeping fairly normally again. For the first 2-3 weeks I slept 2-3 hours per night. That said, I felt much more well-rested than I did when I passed out for half the day (or more) when I was drinking. But even if you don't feel more well-rested now, be patient, and the sleep will eventually return. Recovery is different for everyone, though, so it may take considerable time to regain normal sleeping patterns. For me, my mind was so active after being sedated by alcohol for years that I just couldn't sleep. But that eventually went away and I learned to sleep again. Funny (in a way, but not at all funny at the same time) how in recovery most of us have to relearn stuff we first learned as babies - such as how to sleep and eat.