Notices

ODAT and/or looking forward

Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ODAT and/or looking forward

I am looking for advice from people with recovery on the "one day at a time" (ODAT)perspective and also the vision of what it can be like with sobriety. I am on day 2 after having had 45 days during Nov/Dec then a few weeks of on again and off again.

For me I really have to stay in the moment to get through the day and the tempting times, but I find that it is helping me a lot to think about what 20 or 30 days felt like - it was good and I want it! I also love reading about people with long term recovery - what it get to be after months and years. It gives me hope.

So I guess my question is how important is ODAT in your recovery and what part does having the vision of what it will be like have in your recovery.

thanks... I need all the advice and support I can get and SR is huge for me.
kindbird
Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm sort of a day to dayer....I do live in the moment as much as I can. No past, no future, only right now. It's not easy to do all of the time.......I'm not sure how I'm doing it now. Making tons of jokes and finding ways to laugh certainly makes it easier. I find that if I dwell on my problems I do not progress.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kindbird,

One day at a time is the only saving for my sanity. Really it is one moment at a time. I have 2 weeks tomorrow after weaning myself for the last 7 months and I can get carried away pretty easily if I project into the future.

If I stay in the moment and reduce time down to just a moment, everything becomes easier, acceptable.

I meditate and do yoga and that helps IMMENSELY. Highly recommend at least meditation. ODAT is the only way!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Every bit of peace and/or serenity comes from living one day at a time. I can NOT express this enough. I have only 8 months of sobriety but I do have times now that just for the moment, I have peace and serenity. When I find myself feeling this way it always comes down to me living in the moment. I stay so very grateful when I can do this.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You might want to read the ODAT source...
.the book is "Alcoholics Anonymous".
The first 164 pages are a guideline
and the stories section ..... ifull of hope...

On page 73-74 you will see the AA Promises
Everyone has come true for me...

Good to know your planning for a fresh start.
Recovery Really Rocks!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KindBird View Post

So I guess my question is how important is ODAT in your recovery and what part does having the vision of what it will be like have in your recovery.
ODAT - that is the only thing that keeps me sane. When I get discontent and restless, I know that it's only for today. Tomorrow may be better, or not, and either way it is back to ODAT. It works for me. More better days lately.

Vision. I'm only four months sober this week. I don't have a vision yet. When I get into the vision thing I lose my ODAT. I figure that what it will be like will be revealed when God is ready.

Mark
Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I remember when I was new and confused.I saw a man sober 29 yrs,a woman 3 yrs and another one sober 6 months.My mind could not grasp quitting drinking that long.I just could not see it.The old timer ask me a question,can you stay sober for the rest of the day.Well,that took the pressure off and I said sure.I did eventually get drunk a few more times after that because I wasn`t taking the steps,but doing all of that process I did learn to try and focus on today.

Today,I can stay sober,today I can be a good husband to my wife ,today I can seek God`s will and do it.One day at a time we can do whatever comes our way in life.I do screw up some,but just because I make a mistake don`t mean I am a mistake or this day is a mistake.I can stop,pray and ask forgiveness and guidance and get back on the right path.I have found I can endure or put up with anything that has come my way and stay sober too,one day at a time.Today,right here and right now is where the Power is,it`s where the HP is.Today is the present and that is what it is from the HP.A present.

It doesn`t hurt to plan for the future,just do not plan the results and you may not have to worry about expectations or disappointments.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Here is a reading from the front of the 24 hour a day book I like.I have read it many times

Sanskrit Proverb

Look to this day,
The very life of life,
In its brief course lies all,
The realities and verities of existence,
The bliss of growth,
The splendor of action,
The glory of power.
For yesterday is but a dream,
And tomorrow is only a vision.
But today well lived,
Makes every yesterday
A dream of happiness
And every tomorrow
A vision of hope.
Look well, therefore,
To this day.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

If we don't have the ability to plan beyond today, we're stuck never taking on anything that can't be completed in 24 hrs time. The trouble we seem to get into is planning not just the action, but the outcome as well. Or looking backward, trying to relive something over and done, imagining it coming out a different way. I can make amends, but I can't change anything that's happened. I also don't want to spend too much time reliving the glory days, either. Today is it's own day of glory.

As I understand ODAAT, I must remain emotionally in today. I like the Sanskrit Proverb, Tommy. It really captures the essence of everything I've been taught about living ODAAT.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank to all of you - this is really helpful. I too love the Sanskrit Proverb - very beautiful. I need all of this and I am so lucky to have all of you!