Notices

Text message sponsor?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Text message sponsor?

Obviously, I'm new to this forum. I just quit drinking on January 2nd, and I've been to two AA meetings so far. I got in touch with a very friendly temporary sponsor, and I talked to him on the phone a little. The thing is, I really, really hate talking on the phone. What I don't mind is text messaging.

Example: I've been with my girlfriend for over a year now. We have not spoken on the phone with one another a single time while dating, but we have sent probably 35,000 texts back and forth.

So I'm looking for a sponsor with whom I can have text conversations pretty regularly. Any suggestions or tips?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hopefully the sponser isn't "old school" because I don't think it will work out.

tib 6
Old 01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

wonder if you can text the first 164 of the big book with that thing?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you will struggle to be able to do this IMO, it should not stop you from staying sober though!

good luck:-)
Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The thing is, I really, really hate talking on the phone.

Hopefully you hate the thought of using more.

Pick up the phone, talk - learn new things. Learn, don't insist on keeping bad habits.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiamat View Post
Obviously, I'm new to this forum. I just quit drinking on January 2nd, and I've been to two AA meetings so far. I got in touch with a very friendly temporary sponsor, and I talked to him on the phone a little. The thing is, I really, really hate talking on the phone. What I don't mind is text messaging.

Example: I've been with my girlfriend for over a year now. We have not spoken on the phone with one another a single time while dating, but we have sent probably 35,000 texts back and forth.

So I'm looking for a sponsor with whom I can have text conversations pretty regularly. Any suggestions or tips?

Learn to change. If you want to recover from alcoholism, you are going to have to do a lot of things that probably aren't going to be particularly fun for you.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Willing to go to any lengths comes to my mind. Talk ... don't text. That's just my opinion though.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I see my sponsees at meetings...at my home....over coffee
at a restaurant. I perfer face to face contact.

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OK,
I hate talking on the phone too. I use it to arrange meeting my sponsor. As a sponsor, I find working face to face is the best anyway
Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
OK,
I hate talking on the phone too. I use it to arrange meeting my sponsor. As a sponsor, I find working face to face is the best anyway
I don't mind face to face conversations at all.

Well, thanks for the posts so far, and keep 'em coming. If I have the urge to drink, I will make a phone call or go straight to a meeting. I just wanted to text with my sponsor about mundane stuff, mainly. It would really work much better for me.

Oh, and I have and am currently reading the Big Book.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by tiamat View Post
I just wanted to text with my sponsor about mundane stuff, mainly.
What kind of mundane stuff? I'm curious. I just don't remember anything mundane in my early conversations with my sponsor.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I think I understand. The younger folks who grew up with texting use it as their primary mode of communication. It's second nature, and they do it with ease, even while doing other things. You're just gonna have to find a sponsor who is a product of the texting generation.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The good thing I see about texting is that it will keep your hands busy and unable to pick up a drink!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It seems to me you are on track and making progress tiamat
Good for you!

Keep in focus...and keep posting
Forward we go...side by side
Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tia, hang in there, I have phone phobia which my sponser is very understanding of. You will find a sponser that works for you!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

had to giggle...my sponsor is yuonger than me and she likes to use the text message where as i don't.

AA has changed....use to be no answering machines, no cells,,just a list that you went down calling till someone answered who was home at the time.

There were real advantages to that as you could not focus on one or two people as your "source" of recovery, but had to enlarge your support group.

For myself, I find email is my prefered method of communication. yes I'll use the phone, yes i do f2f, yes i do text my sponsor (ugh)....but the email is the method that most benifits me and frankly is better for those i communicte with as well......

i am learning to utilize the strengths i have today as well as being willing to be flexable and try things i am not so comfortable with.

Sounds like you are doing well
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lost count of the amount of times I have required the use of a phone in emergency situations related to my own recovery - I know I couldn't have text my way out of these problems.
Half measures availed us nothing. Half gets zero - got to go the full way.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I can so relate - although I used texting to hide my feelings and lie (that's just me) Also hate the phone but have had to learn to use it! Not easy, but I'm sober today so its been wroth it - still struggle though to reach out and ask for help. Progress not Perfection.

Sounds like you are ON TRACK well done!!!!! Texting about mundane stuff is cool IMHO I do know that many sponsors say for the first 30 days a phone call in the morning is a good idea regardless of how much one hates to phone! But everyone is different.

Well done - particularly on the big book reading! you sound like you have gotten going a lot quicker than I did when I started!!! Big well done and keep going.

Cathy31
x