Notices

Eating instead of drinking

Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eating instead of drinking

Does anyone else worry that they are eating too much after they stop drinking?

Whanever I've detoxed I start eating more than I think I should, mainly crap too! Partly because I'm always hungry and partly comfort eating. At first I justify it as making up for not eating while on binges when I've usually lost quite a bit of weight.

In the past when I've started to put weight on I've justified a binge to lose the weight, crazy I know! I've not been over 9 stone for over 2 years.

I've been sober 9 days now and aanyone who read my last post will know I'm going into rehab soon. So this time I'm staying sober for good....
Old 01-05-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I put on weight when I first sobered up. It got better over time but at least they can never arrest me for DWF - driving while fat.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Yes, I was always eating when I first got sober.

Our bodies were getting all their energy and calories from alcohol first, then some from our foods. Your body is in adjustment now and needs time to adjust to actual nutrition in food instead of alcohol.

Try to make healthy choices in what you eat and eat lots of mini meals throughout the day. I usually have a banana, cereal bar, and yogurt with granola or fruit each morning - but I have to space that out over about an hour. Then I have a mid morning snack. Lunch later. Afternoon snack (nuts) and a salad with dinner. I end my evening with a bowl of ice cream!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmm ive lost 12 kilos since stopping drinking as i am not taking in anywhere near as many calories each day so i guess if you eat ok food and stay away from junk too much it will be fine:-)
Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, JoJO. Food was long an addiction for me before booze was. Now that I quit drinking (again), the foodie beast is out of control. I don't know what to do...it seems like I can't do anything in moderation.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I following the eating plan + supplements recommended in the book
"Under The Influence" with excellent results.
I also think eating healthy helped with the cravings for alcohol
most of us experience in early sobriety.

Sugar plays a huge part in drinking and recovery.

Keep in focus...Yes! you too can win over alohol...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yep, when I first quit drinking, I had an ice cream Every day.....but after awhile, I quit that, too! Like others have said, think about a healthy diet and supplements. But really, for right now, just focus on getting sober. The rest will follow.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies. I do tend to eat little and often, which I'm told is quite good. Since I wake early these days I tend to have 2 breakfasts a couple of hours apart, usually 2 different cereals or toast. Then lunch, afternoon snacks, dinner and then at least 3 snacks before bed. I also constantly have a glass of sugar free squash I'm drinking. I guess I stock up in the evening because sometimes I wake in the middle of the night hungry! Whenever I go into town I can't resist buying a hot sausage roll from the local bakery though.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Carol, could you tell me more about the book 'under the influence and who the author is?

Thanks, JoJo x
Old 01-06-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have put on 20llbs since quitting drinking. Most people tend to eat more i think, especially sweets as you're body craves sugar. I have decided this year to cut out the sweets, if i am not drinking then i feel i should be working on my health.

Paul
Old 01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

For me, it was the reverse.

I ate like a horse when drinking and when hung over.

Now that I have stopped, I don't exactly eat like I should, but it's less than when drinking.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You will get that off in no time paul IMO. Speaking for me i would rather put on 20lbs and not drink and have the extra weight on my mind than the crap i had when i was drinking...worrying about some extra weight is a luxury by comparison and is more to love for your SO;-)

I have to say I am helping to diminish the diet coke supply at my local supermarket since stopping!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I put on around 30 pounds when I got sober. About 20 of it was muscle. Of that weight, I NEEDED to gain about 25 pounds. (5 was extra.) I was not healthy.

I didn't eat when I was drinking. I drank my calories. I'd eat a candy bar for breakfast, a bag of chips for lunch, and then have beer for dinner. I had to learn how to eat healthy, balanced meals and follow an exercise program.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey JoJo and welcome to day 10 sober.

The second sticky post at the top of this section has a post by Carol D with excerpts from the book "Under the Influence".

I read those exceprts and then bought the book. In the back of the book there is a section on hypoglycemia. Most alcoholics develop this since our bodies processed the alcohol for quick energy. The book even has menu plans to control the hypolycemia.

Under the Influence
A guide to the myths and realities of alcoholism
by James Milam and Katherine Kecham

I just got a copy of the newer version "beyond the influence"
by Katherine Ketcham and it has a chapter (21 pages) dedicated to a diet for sobriety.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im losing weight all the time from being sober and I eat so much.
Cuz when I was drinking I werent drinking water or eating proper.
Now my body craves food and fruit and H2o.
Sometimes Im eating thru pure boredom.
Eating is better than poisoning your body wid drink.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8
You will get that off in no time paul IMO. Speaking for me i would rather put on 20lbs and not drink and have the extra weight on my mind than the crap i had when i was drinking...worrying about some extra weight is a luxury by comparison and is more to love for your SO;-)
Up until 2 years ago i did lose around 50llbs during the previous 3 years, so i know i can do it. It's just giving up drinking allows me to enjoy other luxuries :-) I have not really worried about putting on weight for the reasons you have stated. The way i look at it anyway, why not reward yourself with something?

But the last couple of months i have realised i eat too many chocolates and think nothing of fried food, so i have decided to eat healthily again. My job is physically demanding, so i know i'll lose it if i cut out the sweets.

Paul
Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've lost over 20 pounds since I stopped the madness. Eating went with drinking for me, in the name of justification. (Well, if I'm going to drink all of that, I'd better eat, too.) I'm getting very wiry at this point, and while I like being thin, I'm not looking to lose more weight. I'm getting into the gym pretty intensely, and trying to eat lean proteins that satisfy my body's needs.

Learning how to eat properly has been difficult, especially since I live alone and usually dine alone. My stomach has been very picky, and my appetite is often fleeting. I'm pretty fond of supplement drinks right now, for when it gets tough.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, I've tried substituting alcohol with food in an attempt to "fill the emptiness"

Then I discovered the true nature of addiction and realized there were many other things which I had been "using" in order to escape the realities of life. Food ,television, work.

Food has perhaps been my most difficult challenge. I still have to eat.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was not gaining weight until the holidays hit...wow the sweets..now I am craving them...addiction, I can get addicted to anything, excercise is the way to go, but eating seems so easy.
I little bit of weight is better then dying from drinking..
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies. When I was in my teens, before drinking, I used to be a binge eater. Luckily that cleared at about 20. I'm a lot more controlled now and don't really seem to be putting on a lot of weight, just what I need to make up in muscle and being rehydrated again. I guess I just worry too much, I was so depressed when overweight in my late teens/early 20's.

I am trying to eat more healthy now, but I know it's common to get sugar cravings in early recovery!