Notices

Mind over matter

Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mind over matter

That is how I’ve felt for a long time; it's how I’ve approached many opportunities in my life. I guess its a form of positive thinking or arrogance I’m not sure, my only other belief is too avoid extremes at all costs it always leaves too few answers. 3 months ago I decided to stop drinking for good, I have always had trouble sleeping and the first 2 weeks where hell in that respect. After that though things fell back into place pretty easily sleep came fast and was satisfying, especially with not having to worry about how bad my hangover would be the next day. As of late though I have been coming home from work and sleeping for 2-3 hours then waking to make dinner and watch TV, the first couple times I thought it was normal as I do lead a more active life now than ever before but it seems to be getting worse. I guess my question is when do the affects of a decade of alcoholism wear off; I expected some physical effects initially but 3 months in. I know the mental aspect will take patience and time to overcome but how long will my physical withdrawal symptoms last?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi tempestt

Are you on any meds?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No meds at all. I’m 28, healthy and own a successful business despite my addiction. I’ve had people suggest depression and maybe if there is no physical explanation that could be a possibility, but I do feel happy any grateful. Just upset I sleep all the time now
Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe go see a doctor. It could possibly be something completely non-alcohol related. Depression, stress or something all together different. Never hurts to see the doctor. Except the blood work...lol.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
problem with authority

I got a check up in my first year to make sure everything was fine.

Read about PAWS (post-acute withdrawal), too, my doctor says that your body and mind take awhile to heal. I became a sleepyhead in sobriety when I had never been one since I was a teenager.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time
welcome to SR...

Please read this link about PAWS

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Keep in focus and keep posting...

Last edited by CarolD; 01-07-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added Link