Notices

Rehab cnetres

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Rehab cnetres

I have been through a few detoxes in last year. I can stay sober for about a month at a time but then usually relapse.

I have now been accepted to enter a rehab centre in less than 2 weeks time. Luckily I've been sober now for a week but know without help I could easily relapse again.

Does anyone have experiences of rehab they can share with me? I'm in th Uk and it is a community funded centre with a very good reputation.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome...

I did not go to a rehab...but I think one should try every
posible means to stay sober.
I find AA to be an awesome program.

Best wishes for your sucessful recovery
Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck man

A friend of mine went into Rehab in Gibraltar. They had 'classes' everyday about getting and living sober, really kept him busy. Got on well with the other people there. He said they make sure also that you integrate with the other people at rehab so no-one gets too lonely. Counselling of course. All i can remember! i saw him at xmas, looked a million dollarsb still doing the counselling now he is out and going to AA. He has been sober for 7 and a half months which for him is amazing and he knows it, so look forward to it IMO:-)
Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for that reply, p.s. I'm female not a 'man'.

I'm really hoping the counselling will help with a lot of my emotional issues too, I've suffered from depression and low self esteem since my teens....which was probably partly why I started drinking!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hehe sorry about that, i'm from south england so i call both sexes mate (it's handy for work too as i can show both sexes a slight show of affection, as you have experienced hey man is really only appropriate for a...man!) and have substituted mate for man on posts (which i am going to be a bit more careful about now hehe), so i will say good luck mate instead;-)

I didnt go to rehab but went to a counseller 10 weeks ago and am on anti depressants and antabuse and i am doing really well, it's early days but i was drinking everyday and there is no way that i could have stopped for more than one night by myself!

never been happier at 37 and that defo includes my teenage years, got depression and anxiety, so i hope you get some of the same out of your counselling and i am certain you will:-)
Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went to a 28 day inpatient treatment program in July of 2007. I was scared to death and had no idea what to expect. On the way there I drank a pint of vodka. For the first 5 days I was on Librium which helps with the withdrawal problems and reduces anxiety. After that I was on my own. It was probably about 2 weeks before I began to feel comfortable. In fact I don't think I said a word until then. The days were packed with meetings, eating real food again, and reading. This place didn't allow caffeine or sugar on the premises and there was no TV or radio. Just a daily newspaper. If your a chain-smoker, though, you'll feel right at home. At the group meetings we learned about why we drank, triggers, avoidance, the 12 steps, etc. Three nights a week we were driven to outside AA meetings.

It was the very best thing I have ever done. I got my life back.

Good luck with it. Go in with an open mind and make the most of it.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Markman, thanks for the reply. Luckily I've already been through the librium detox (done it a few times), I hate it though as it makes me feel so spaced out.

I definitely determined to make the most of it. Would hate to have to go through detox again!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I attended a Rehab and the experience was very rewarding. I learned about the likely cause of addiction as well as the addiction process. I became aware of how important it is to know and practice 'recovery tools' throughout my life. Rehab set the stage for my development and continued use of a personalized program of addiction treatment.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Got to as many aa meetings as possible rehab centers drop in places. I am now typing covered in my own blood cuz m y clotting dont work proper. Cuz of drink. MY liver is ruined. Massive nose bleeds. Hating what can happen wid in a few hours.
do as much as you can before you get in a bad way. I aint even fighting just bad clotting thru drink

Washing it all off now and its hard work. Its so dry.

Im gonna get straight back up again and carryon stopping drinking. Dont let it win

Im from UK to have too wait ages for anything too happen where I live apart from AA they are always there. bLess
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Tripstar, hope you get better soon. Luckily I don't think my liver is ruined yet, it has been badly inflamed though. Had liver function test yesterday, will get results tomorrow.

We all need to keep working at this...... Good luck to you.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rehab was part of my recovery. It was my first exposure to AA too. Upon successfully completing the 28 day impatient program, I then made a decision to be a member of AA. After a period of time of playing with the AA program and only following the suggestions that felt comfortable to me or in a way I manipulated their meanings, I found myself sober, but not happy. I went through of period of thinking where I wondered why I quit drinking at all, regardless the pain or damage I caused others & myself in the past.

I then decided (with some encouragement from other AA's) that if I was going to BE a member of AA, I ought to be willing to PRACTICE AA as suggested.

A number of 24 hours later, the absolute best thing that ever happened to me in my entire life, was becoming an alcoholic and finding AA. Treatment, for me, was one of the paths that got me there and one I needed.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey JJ107. Treatment can the best, or worst, experience of your life. I finally got sober at a rehab. I have been to four treatment centers and one psychiatric unit since 1992. Each rehab provided something for me, couldn't see it at the time. My head was not in it in the first three. The rehab I went to and got sober, my second time there, is a great place (they were all good). You will get out of it what you put into it. At last I found surrender, had to let go to live, realized and accepted I had to let go absolutely everything in my life (I mean everything), my whole life changed for the better. That letting go is an internal decision, nothing you run around advertising, where once there was indecision, for whatever reason(fear, shame, guilt, etc.), there was none, unified for the first time, heart, mind, entire being. There was peace.....
Recommend minimizing socializing, some is good, exceed what is required, and STAY OUT OF REHAB ROMANCES!!! They are failure disguised as "love" or whatever....done that-don't work, we're not that unique to think it will be different for us!
Stay focused, take all help offered, and give back as much as you are able. It may be awkward in the beginning but it will get easier.... If there is an extended program, transition-etc, take advantage of it. Thirty days is good, but sixty, ninety, etc is even better.
Learn all you can...........It will work for you if your head is in it.
Good luck, don't give up!!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks nc, it is an 18 week program and pretty intense. I intend to give it my all! I hope to make some friends in there but I'm not always the most sociable person, i'll probably read hopefully use the gym in there during any spare time I get.

Only 9 days to go now, going to visit the centre on Monday. I'm worried I will miss my freedom a bit though.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The time you spend in treatment will be worth the restriction of your "freedom". Invest some now or a lot later. It's really a small investment..........Shift your perspective if you want and it will fall into place. There will be a multitude of "tools" offered for you to use, take full advantage of them.......they are what you will use to stay sober.....to learn how to live without whatever........Be aware of substituting one "drug" for another (cross addiction). Anything which changes your mood, the way you feel. Learn how to live in your own skin and be ok with yourself. Will keep you in my thoughts as you take this journey of discovery. As I have read: It's not the destination, it's the journey!!
We are all here for you.