Notices

AA a religion?

Old 07-31-2003, 10:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Chy

Just my 2 cents...

I was struggling with my Catholic upbringing and the spiritual aspect of AA, I did not want to betray my Catholic God which I have often been at conflict with, while allowing my AA God to be the one to give my life a new direction. This was very hard for me as I completed my 3rd step.

I've learned to merge the two together and have a God of MY understanding so that when I pray I can identify with that God both in mass and at AA. I actually wrote down the characteristics I want my God to have and now better deal with my HP in all aspects of my daily life.

Phoenix's distinction between religion and the spirtuality of AA was right on for me. It was a very clear explanation of the reason why AA is not a religion.

'Nuf said, thanks!
Old 07-31-2003, 01:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,

Like I said earlier, old Dallas don't want no trouble. But apparently my poorly worded question managed to stir up something.

I would like to apologize to anyone who was offended by my question or comments. I was just curious as to why some people get so bent out of shape when AA is referred to as a religion. I don't see the big deal in it.

Jon,
Try not to get bent out of shape but I've been to hundreds of AA meetings and everyone of them ended with The Lord's Prayer.(insert smilie here).

I'll just go back to minding my own business now. If I haven't been banished to cyber Hell, maybe I'll talk to ya'll later.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally posted by DallasHawkins
Thanks everyone,

Like I said earlier, old Dallas don't want no trouble. But apparently my poorly worded question managed to stir up something.

Jon,
Try not to get bent out of shape but I've been to hundreds of AA meetings and everyone of them ended with The Lord's Prayer.(insert smilie here).

Sorry ...perhaps my reference to your post was...ummm...poorly worded

And try not to get bent out of shape Dallas,but my family said the Lord's Prayer after hundreds of meals,and we still aren't considered a religion.Some of my family members may be religious,but as a family we are not a religion

phoenix
Old 07-31-2003, 04:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Phoenix. You're allright.

My Lord's Prayer comment should have been directed to Doug who stated he's never seen prayer at a meeting. Sorry Jon.
I don't see what difference it makes whether I asked about it here or to someone face to face but the next time I run across people I know in AA I'll ask them.

Easy does it