Notices

Nervous about speaking.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Nervous about speaking.

I'll be speaking tonight at a treatment center where I last went for treatment. Sharing my ESH...

Big auditorium, lots of folks (probably around a couple hundred). I'm nervous, typical public speaking anxiety I suppose.

It's one of those things where my ego expects that I'll touch the hearts and minds of everyone there and that, after hearing my story, everyone will be cured forever. If even one person drinks/uses again after hearing my story, I'm a total failure. I'm exaggerating here, but you get the point.

The one thing I'm telling myself to calm my nerves is that this is just as much for me as it is for them. 12th step - gotta give it back - service. That and my HP has my back.

But if ya'll could throw a little extra juju at me come around 7 PM central, that would be great.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'll be fine! Don't sweat it! And if even one person hears your message, it will have been worth it! You don't have to save the whole world, ya know! Just one victory will make it all worthwhile!

Not to worry! You'll do fine!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They called it "Gift of Hope" at the treatment center I was at for 8 weeks. What I appreciated so much was that these alums knew what it was like at that particular treatment center, treatment centers in general, and almost always seemed to know just I how felt about being where I was at that moment.

I felt soooo lonely during my stay, well, that and I felt shame, guilt, remorse... you know! It was always nice to know I wasn't alone.

I look forward to my opportunity to give back, assuming I will make 9 months (I will... ) which is how long they want you to be out of treatment before being invited back to speak.

Let's see - juju at 7 pm - you got it comin' your way!!!!!

Mark
Old 12-15-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You will say something that someone will need to hear

Glad your making progress.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Being nervous is natural.

It's a feeling we covered up too many times in the past with alcohols/drugs.

Now, it reminds us we are ALIVE!!!

Just realize there isn't anything 'wrong' you can possibly say if you just share ESH.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is wonderful for you to give back to so many at one stop. I love speaker meetings, real enlightening to hear anothers story.
I can imagine being nervous as I never have been a public speaker. You will do great, just do what is in your heart. If you touch one person deeply you have done a miracle for them. Good luck...and alot of juju for you at 7 pm..had to look which time zone. good luck you wil be wonderful
Old 12-15-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You will touch people. Courage coming your way from ol' Tex. Good for you for giving back.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I cannot speak in public...I absolutely CANNOT do it. That is why I have given my will and life of to a power greater than myself. When this power is running the show -I have no fear. Why should I?

On a more practical note - I go in the bathroom and say a prayer, something like "God, I can't do this and I know it. Use me to be what you need me to be tonight."

If I need to be a muttering fool - so be it (maybe someone needs to see it's ok to be REAALLY nervous - to the point of passing out). If I need to be the person who can overcome that fear which couldn't be overcome - so be it, there are plenty of people who need to see that.

The last time I spoke, I was oddly calm. I spoke slowly and clearly - and I only shared my experience with alcoholism and recovery from such. Many people came up to me after and said "You always seem so shy, I was amazed at how articulate and concise you are when speaking." My reply - "Don't be fooled - "I" can't do what I just did"...they knew exactly what I meant.

Stick to your experience and things will go just as they are supposed to.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I always think about how good I will feel when I'm done. That keeps me going.

I'm sure you will do wonderfully.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You could use the trick I've been told about to cure nervousness over public speaking: you could imagine your audience sitting there in their underwear... unless that would make you laugh hysterically!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was nervous my first time and everytime after that. My sponser told me It was my story who knew it better. It never went as planned when I tried to be funny seemed no one laughed and when I was serios they would laugh at that. Go figure. An old timmer tells in his story that at a speaker meeting one night it was terrible the worst he ever heard and after the meeting a guy said to him was'nt that the best story ever. Everyone has something to offer and I bet you do great.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Things went as well as I could have hoped, I think.

I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. And I felt good about it afterward.

Though after, I kept thinking of things I wanted to say but didn't. You know, coulda, woulda, shoulda, blah blah...

Anywho, thanks much for the well-wishes and prayers. Always appreciated!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad things went well, proud that could get up there and speak. I can't publicly speak. I am just getting that I can speak in a meeting. And when I do I think after of things I wanted to say, i just can't seem to keep it staight in my mind.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oops ... didn't read far enough ahead and was still thinking about throwing juju lol.

Glad to hear it went well.