Notices

Is there sens in sobriety?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there sens in sobriety?

May be, I have to drink, because life is ****? I don't know...
Old 12-16-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I think many of us thought life was hard
so we drank to escape.
Then the drinking made life more difficult.

Sooo... the destructive cycle became a misery-go-round.
I did quit riding the misery-go-round
and Yes! you can too.

Please share what's happening ..there is a
lot of support and information here.

Welcome back to SR...
Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I been drinking for years and my life didn't get any better. I'm really not happy right now. Not because of my drinking, but because of my life. But I'm not drinking (day 6) and although it's the same life as last week, and not grabbing a drink is tricky (even now at 7:30 am, my wife left a 3/4 full beer and I want to drink it... gonna dump it instead), I am able to at least try to learn to not let life overwhelm me when sober.

So being sober isn't going to make life all wonderful in and of itself. You still gotta "work" life and I know I wasn't doing that drinking. I was surviving, not growing. You don't have to drink.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not sure what sens means, do you mean sense?

Me sober and me not sober are 2 different people living in 2 different worlds. The sober me is a much better person with a much better handle on life and everything that life can throw at you.

When I am not sober I lose control of a lot more stuff besides my drinking.

Let us know how you are doing.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Breathing

Life can be *****, but it's so much easier to make changes so it's not ***** when you're sober than when you're at the bottom of a bottle.

Glad you're here, keep reading, keep writing.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

bald I have found that at times life is a @%$#, but if I am sober I stand a chance, if I am drinkig then life has always become a bigger @%$#.

There is a solution I found, but I had to be willing to go to any lengths to get sober and stay sober for it to work!! I had to be willing to admit that my way did not work and be willing to try a way that has worked for thousands upon thousands of others. I had to be willing to do things I really did not want to do at the time, but I did them and today I am sober and happy.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't yet proven this true in my life, but I hope to. It is my understanding that people that live exciting, prosperous, and happy lives have positive confident thoughts about their lives. They envision their desires before they happen, and these thoughts manifest into reality over time. Those that live in misery are always thinking negative and defeating thoughts, and these thoughts also manifest into reality. This is almost certainly true, as it is my own life (I am very successful at work, and I have always been confident in my ability and have always thought good and positive thoughts about myself in that respect, but I am not successful in other areas where I don't have any confidence or positive thoughts or beliefs about myself). I have also read this in many books. Some call it the law of attraction.

Over time, alcohol has a depressive effect on your brain, thus making it very difficult or impossible to have positive and uplifting thoughts deep down in areas where you are not naturally great. It stunts the brain's creativity and imagination. I have seen that alcohol actually shrinks your brain on an MRI scan, so obviously it must affect our brain more than we know. The good news is that I just read an article posted by Carol that the brain can regenerate itself after stopping drinking! So after 6 months or so of not drinking, hopefully my mind will regain the capability of thinking more creatively and more positively. But I don't expect to see changes overnight. I am looking down the road 1-2 years from now to be able to see definite changes in my life. That is how I am looking at this.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think we all have felt that, life is so ****** that we drink to get thru it, numb the feeling, blackout thru it , forget it..etc etc.

Problem with that for me is that alcohol stopped being my friend. It became my enemy and I didnt' know it. It was like it brainwashed me, instead of helping me deal with life it made life harder to deal with. It was taking my sanity, my mind, my life away from me, and before I realised it I was completely mentally sick. When I drank I became nuts and that is saying it mildly. That was my rock bottom, I was afraid I was going to be locked up in the nuthouse for being insane.

I luckily found a way out. I found AA, and this forum. AA forsure is saving my life and my mind. With 43 days of sobriety now, I feel so much better, mentally, physically. I get comments from other Ole timers of how my color has come back, my black eyes have diminished, that I have a twinkle in my eye, and how I smile now. I am slowly emerging from my cave, and it feels good

I am not saying not drinking is curing my problems in my life, but I can say that I am handling my problems much better with the help of being sober and AA, my sponsor, and praying.

I am getting excited to what lies ahead on my journey of living a sober life. The changes so inside of me feel so good that I can't imagine how it can be with alot of time under my belt. I have so much growing to do, as the alcohol had stunted my mental and spiritual growth for so long.

This is the first time in many years I feel hope and a future.
I can see now why sobriety is worth the struggle and life change.

That for me is reason for my sobriety. Life is better already.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I am not sure what sens means, do you mean sense?
Of course. I've made mistake.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know alcohol mechanics very well. And I know what alcohol doesn't improve my life. I'm sober now and I'm not going to start drinking again because... there are many things because I'm not going to do it. May be I'm only tired, but it is impossible to see how my country and my life go to the gulf. And much easier to know: this evening (week, day) I'll have a bottle of vodka and I'll happy for a short time. Short time, but happy.