Notices

Damage assessment:examining the wreckage

Old 07-24-2003, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Damage assessment:examining the wreckage

Well now that i'm going on 3 weeks sober and can think, i feel like i've arrived at the scene of a terrible accident,the damage is pretty bad.I lost a good paying job,i'm in debt,credit is poor,driving a junk car,and i find out i'm going to have to move out of where i'm living.there is more damage but i won't go into it.So my drinking has put me in a very bad spot,and i know the only way to find my way out of this dark murky forest is by being sober.so i am assessing what i've done to myself,facing it head on and am praying i can get myself out and resume a half way normal life again.When you all got sober did you find yourself in similar or worse condition?Help me feel better by telling me there are others who went through this.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You aren't alone.I lost a job I loved,working with racehorses.I left behind the only life I'd known,and was a broken creature both physically,and mentally...not to mention emotionally and spiritually.I lost everything I owned,which was very little to start with.Still,it was a huge loss from my perspective.I was 30 pounds underweight and malnourished.I was in such bad condition that I landed in a crisis unit.My family had to come get me and have me admitted there,as I could not have managed on my own.

Sometimes,progress was painfully slow,and there were setbacks along the way.But I have rebuilt my life,and it is better than I could have imagined.I'm far from rich,but I am buying a house.That beats being a step ahead of an eviction notice or sleeping under bridges and in abandoned buildings.I have a job I really enjoy,and my boss and co workers respect and like me.In my old life,I had sunk so low that I was not even trusted to water the horses in the afternoon Things have certainly changed for the better.

I have a good car,and a motorcycle.I always wanted my own bike,but I had to get sober to make that dream a reality.I could go on for pages on end about how much better life has become.A lot of it is internal stuff...not material.I like being able to look people in the eye.I like being able to face my reflection in the mirror,and not hate what I see.Life is really good today.

It'll take time,but you will see progress too.You will see change.Stay sober and hang on for the ride of your life.You will be amazed before you are half way through

phoenix
Old 07-24-2003, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can identify with what you are facing.

When I stopped drinking I had no money and owed everybody.I lived in a small bedroom in a church dormitory and had to share bathroom with strangers,

I drove a junk car too that broke down at every bend in the road and I had no sympathy from my family.

But I had something I never had before.I had hope and a sense of well being that told me that things were going to get better.

And they did.....things got better for me in ways I never imagined and I know they will for you too.

Alcoholics are some of the most talented people I know and as long as we stay sober things will start happening for us.

Spiritual principles we must learn to practise are patience,acceptance and gratitude.

Patience to keep hanging on even though times are hard.
Acceptance of things we cannot change.
Gratitude for what we have.

Take heart in knowing you are not alone and that things are not always as bad as they seem.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hi Blue, I myself lost my house my great job and my Condo in FL.
and became homeless. But I stoped drinking and went to A A and I got better and good things happen not to say that everything go good but I learn how to deal with bad things that do happen as long as I don't pick up that first drink. Be Cool BikerBill8
Old 07-24-2003, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

I've only been sober 3 months, but I can agree with a lot of what you're going through now too. After getting sober, I felt like I was coming into the bright light after living in a dark cave for several years. The reality of that light was very painful too....

I lost a good paying job, my car, major bills piled up on me (I was bouncing checks right and left to buy alcohol at one point). Most hurtfully though, I also treated some of my dearest family and friends in ways that I still can't even phathom - the minute I got out of detox, remorse set in. But, I can't look back (wouldn't do any good), all I can do is look forward to the future now.

In a weird way, I can't regret all that bad stuff - because that's what it took for me to FINALLY face my reality, where I was heading if I continued down the road of alcoholism.

I agree with Phoenix. It's good to be able to look people in the eye now - and to look myself in the eye, and not feel sickened or ashamed. I love life now. I love being ALIVE and healthy. I love laughing and smiling, and hugging all my loved ones, and watching the sun come up. I stopped doing those simple pleasures for a long time because of alcohol.

Keep your chin up kindablue. Things DO get better, so don't give up. Just give it all time and patience ( a whole LOT of patience). The reality that we face after waking up from our alcoholic stupor is sometimes very harsh and painful. But, know that there are tons of us that are going through similar things. We'll get through it though. And we'll be better be people because of it.

PianoGirl

"I think a good thing to do is to always carry a couple of sacks around wherever you go. That way, if someone says, "Hey buddy, can you give me a hand?", you can say,"Sorry, I got these sacks...".
Old 07-25-2003, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Re: Damage assessment:examining the wreckage

Originally posted by kindablue
Well now that i'm going on 3 weeks sober and can think, i feel like i've arrived at the scene of a terrible accident,the damage is pretty bad.I lost a good paying job,i'm in debt,credit is poor,driving a junk car,and i find out i'm going to have to move out of where i'm living.there is more damage but i won't go into it.So my drinking has put me in a very bad spot,and i know the only way to find my way out of this dark murky forest is by being sober.so i am assessing what i've done to myself,facing it head on and am praying i can get myself out and resume a half way normal life again.When you all got sober did you find yourself in similar or worse condition?Help me feel better by telling me there are others who went through this.
Hi ya blue,
Yup, I know how you feel. Been there, done that! And, I'm glad you've reached that point 'cause that's how alcoholism works. Takes you right down to the bottom, just like an elevator. Thing is, we can get off on any floor we choose. I hope you've chosen to get off and stay off 'cause the elevator does go lower.
I've got a news flash for you though....You just ain't that good at being that bad. There's always someone who's had it worse. Look around and listen. You might be grateful to only have to carry the cross you're burdened with now.
Take care and keep coming back.