Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Opinions on the drinking habits of a recent college grad. Advice please.

Notices

Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey all,
This is my first post on this forum. I'll be 23 in November, I just graduated from college in May. As many of you know, drinking reaches pretty absurd levels in college. Being back home has made me rethink my drinking patterns. I think that the amount I drank at school was quite normal, but the way people drank at school in general was very unhealthy, if that makes sense. I'll give you a little background regarding my personal history with alcohol.

I didn't drink until senior year of high school/freshman year of college. I was drawn to drinking because I was shy and insecure in high school, and alcohol helped me to open up. I now realize that starting my relationship with alcohol in that way was not healthy. At the time, I didn't think much of it, though, because I just wanted to have fun. And I had a lot of fun. The main thing I noticed about drinking was that it made talking to girls a whole lot easier (something that had frustrated me to no end throughout all of high school).

Since that time, I have become much more social and comfortable with myself when sober. I don't need alcohol to talk to people I don't know. I still feed the need, though, to drink more to become more social. The main problem I have with alcohol is that I tend to black out if I let my drinking go unchecked on nights when I go out with friends. I tend to only drink when going out with friends--I have never gotten drunk alone. For the past month, I've been job at home, for example, and I haven't gotten drunk in that entire month. I hardly ever have gotten sick from drinking too much, nor have I ended up in the hospital, passed out, hurt myself or anyone else, or anything like that. I just end up blacking out, which I don't like. I'll add that a month ago, I accidentally knocked over a picture frame while drunk, that's the most intense thing that's ever happened.

So here are some questions:
1) I am considering seeing a counselor to talk about my drinking. Do you think it makes sense to?
2) From what I can gather, I think that I abuse alcohol, not that I am an alcoholic. Do you agree?
3) Do you think I should completely abstain from drinking, or that I should be able to get my drinking under control? If I see a counselor, will they tell me I need to be sober, or that I could gain control over my habits?

Thanks! Let me know if you want more info from me.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Matt - Welcome to SR! Yeah, I remember the dim, distant days of college drinking, and it IS out of control (or at least is was back in the early 80s when I was there - LOL) and it is not a pattern you want to hang onto for life.

As for you questions, I don't think there can be any harm in seeing a councelor to talk about your drinking. In the end, only you can decide how you want to handle it. I can understand it is a confusing time for you, fresh out of the college scene, but if you have even the slightest thought that alcohol might be a problem for you, address it now. Don't waste any time waiting for the disease of alcoholism to progress. I can't tell you what a councelor will say, that you will just have to experience if you decide to go. Remember, a councelor can only give you advice, you have to decide whether or not to take it.

As to whether or not you should abstain or moderate, well...again, it's up to you. You said you just went a month without drinking. How do you feel about that? Are you happier without drinking? Those are some of the things you may want to consider.

And as for talking to girls, trust me, sober guys are a LOT more attractive, even if they are a bit shy! (coming from an old married mom of 3 that might not mean much, but take it for what it's worth! LOL)

Keep posting - lots of good insight here.

Jomey
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR and our alcoholism forum!

So here are some questions:
1) I am considering seeing a counselor to talk about my drinking. Do you think it makes sense to?
If it makes sense to you then yes. People who are not having problems usually do not ask if they need to seek counseling or not.
2) From what I can gather, I think that I abuse alcohol, not that I am an alcoholic. Do you agree?
Only you can determine if you are an alcoholic or not. No one else can do anything more than make a generalized guess at it. If alcohol is creating unmanagability or problems in your life then it is a problem that should be addressed whether or not one classifies themselves as alcoholic or problem drinker.
3) Do you think I should completely abstain from drinking, or that I should be able to get my drinking under control? If I see a counselor, will they tell me I need to be sober, or that I could gain control over my habits?
Only you can decide what is best for you here. I can not say what a counselor would tell you. If alcohol is causing problems in your life then either abstinence or moderation may be the key. Late stage alcoholics usually have lost the ability to moderate their alcohol intake. In the early stages of the disease moderation is something that can usually be done for a short period of time. Only complete abstinence has worked for me but I am also an alcoholic.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to sR and our Alcoholism Forum...

Here is an interesting link...Blackouts are explained on #17
but please read the entire thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I think you are wise to take a good look about drinking
and to consider if it is going to enhance your life

I don't know what a counselor will suggest.

Glad you are here...please keep posting with us...
Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey Mattyo - I am 23 and just out of college too. I stopped drinking because a lot of times I would be out having a good time, then i would lose track of how much i had in my system, and then i would black out and not remember the last hour of the night. That did not happen every time i went out, but it happened enough to scare me. I never did anything that got me in trouble when drinking, but i could have done other embarrassing things that i dont remember. It made me uncomfortable not to know. All of the books and literature i have read on alcoholism suggests that drinking to the point where you lose count and end up blacked out (especially more than once) is a good indicator of alcoholism. What made me stop, in addition to the blackouts, was the fact that my hangovers got so bad that i could not do anything the next day. I was/am not going to give up my career for alcohol. I wanted to stop before it came to that, or before i got physically addicted to the point where i could not stop drinking on my own. It is not easy. Especially when we are just out of college and drinking has become part of our social routine. If I were you I would read more posts and maybe do some other research on the early signs of alcoholism. See if you can identify. Keep posting...:ghug3
Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey I'm glad you're here!

I started drinking in college, and I also wondered if I might have a drinking problem. But I didn't talk to anyone about it, and I continued to drink. After several more years of drinking, my drinking problem was confirmed. By that time, I was not able to stop! I drank even when I didn't want to. I tried everything to quit, but I couldn't.

Alcoholism has to be self-diagnosed, so it can be tricky to decide whether you're an alcoholic. Generally, if you're concerned about your drinking, that's a good indication that you might be a problem-drinker.

AA has a test on its website that might help you decide whether you're an alcoholic. The test is HERE.

Hope that helps --

Whether you decide you're an alcoholic or not, we're glad you're here, and you can always find support here!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the posts. They've been helpful. I figure, why not see someone to talk about alcohol? The only reason I can think of not to is if I wanted to hide from what may be a problem, instead of sorting through it. I don't want to live my life that way.

One sentiment that was brought up a couple times can be summed up by what Clutch said:

Originally Posted by Clutch B View Post
Alcoholism has to be self-diagnosed, so it can be tricky to decide whether you're an alcoholic.

I don't exactly get that. Clearly, alcoholism must exist outside of the mind of the alcoholic, right? One is an alcoholic regardless of whether they choose to admit it. Correct?

Here's something else I don't understand: I know that the first stage of addiction is denial. how can you sort out denial of alcoholism from someone who lets say, drank too much once and wonders if they might be an alcoholic? The second person may not be an alcoholic, but they may be led to believe they are purely because they were even thinking about it. Does that make sense? It's all confusing to me.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I don't exactly get that. Clearly, alcoholism must exist outside of the mind of the alcoholic, right? One is an alcoholic regardless of whether they choose to admit it. Correct? "

Of course it exists outside of the alcoholic's mind. Alcoholism's symptoms are a set of behaviors that are observable to others (or could be if people were in the room when the alcoholic is drinking). I think the point is that until the person who has the alcohol problem admits it to himself/herself, nothing can be done about it.

"I know that the first stage of addiction is denial."

I think I was psychologically addicted to alcohol long before there was a problem to deny. So this wasnt the situation for me. My denial started after a series of alcohol-related dangerous events happened and i still didnt stop drinking.

"how can you sort out denial of alcoholism from someone who lets say, drank too much once and wonders if they might be an alcoholic? The second person may not be an alcoholic, but they may be led to believe they are purely because they were even thinking about it. Does that make sense? It's all confusing to me."

Alcohol abuse and addiction is indicated by repeated use/abuse even after alcohol has started impacting any aspect of the drinker's life negatively. I don't think someone who went overboard just once would consider themselves alcoholic. I know I didnt the first time i binge drank. It took years.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

About the self-diagnosis ...

Diagnosing alcoholism is like diagnosing the existence of a headache. It's something that only you can decide, because you're the only one who can sense what's going on with your mind and body. For example, I can't tell you that you have a headache. I also can't tell you that you're an alcoholic. You must decide that for yourself.

The self-diagnosis is an important part of breaking denial. If an alcoholic refuses to admit they're alcoholic, they'll continue to drink until they die ... or until they admit they're alcoholic and decide to get help. But whether they get help hinges on whether they believe they're alcoholic.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Matt - Understanding alcoholism is very confusing. That's one of the reasons we all hang around here and talk about it and try to help each other thru it. If you could just go to a doc. and he could say "Yep,you're an alcoholic, you need to abstain for the rest of your life to live a happy, fulfilling life, and here's how to do it" - we would all be at THAT doctor's office, lined up around the block!

Seriously, alcoholism means, as was already pointed out, that alcohol is causing problems in your life. There is no set amount of alcohol intake, no set amount of times you drink in a given period of time, and no criteria for the damage caused for you to be an alcoholic. In other words, you don't need to be putting away a case of beer a night, have several DUIs, lost a job, blacked out, lost a SO, injured yourself or some one else. Those things MAY happen, but they don't have to for you to have problems with alcohol.

I think it's pretty safe to say since you are posting here with us that you are considering the fact that alcohol is hurting some aspect of your life. If so, then why not talk it over with a concelor or try an AA meeting and see what you get out of it?

Hope you keep posting. Take care,
Jomey
Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I don't agree with most of the above comments about self-diagnosis.

Alcoholism is a disease and can only be properly diagnosed by an experienced health care professional working within that scope of practice.

The part that is up to you, if you're diagnosed as an alcoholic, is what to do about it.

When I was first diagnosed, I had trouble accepting it.

As far as seeking a professional for an assessment, what can it hurt? You either are or you aren't. The fact that you're concerned about your drinking is a red flag in my book, but doesn't necessarily mean anything in and of itself.

The real issue for lots of alcoholics (this one in particular) is once you have a diagnosis and familiarity with the treatment protocol, what are you going to do with that information?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Matty, welcome to the forum.

Your relationship with drinking sounds very much how my relationship with drinking started. The feeling more confident in social settings, especially in relationship to talking to girls, is one that i can relate to. So from this old man, i will offer my tiny bit of advice.

I feel the blackouts should be of concern to you, which it sounds as if they are. I know in my situation i cannot just have one drink, when i do that then turns into another, eventually i would drink until the night was up or i fell asleep.

As regards your questions,

My advice would be, what have you got to lose? One session isn't a commitment, neither is a course of sessions. If you think you may have a problem with alcohol then i would say yes it makes sense. If you are having reservations about seeing a counsellor, then maybe it's best to ask yourself why you have these reservations.

Alcoholism is the only illness that is self-diagnosed. No one can make that diagnosis, except yourself. You seem like an intelligent person, my advice would be to educate yourself on the difference between alcoholism and alcohol dependency. Take a look at how others diagnose themselves and see if you can spot any similarities, rather than differences, as we all have a different story. Only you can decide whether you are an alcoholic, abuse alcohol or do not have a problem.

If you can control your drinking then that may be an option. What you need to ask yourself is whether you have ever successfully done this. I have asked myself this question many times, because i think ultimately thats what i want, but i have to accept that i never have been able to control, so abstinence is the better option for me.

A counsellor will first of all assess your situation, they will not tell you to do anything. Your program of recovery is for you to decide. They will however, listen to you and help you to live a life that doesn't need alcohol.

Whether you choose to control or abstain is something that only you can decide.

Speaking for myself, i have tried to control, it didn't work, so i now abstain.

Paul
Old 10-28-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Since alcoholism is a progressive disease it is very hard to differenciate between wild college days, heavy drinking and alcoholism. For me all I had to do was look at my family history and I saw the clear answer. I am an alcoholic and I was drinking very alcoholically. I believe that alcoholism is a hereditary disease. Not all agree but if you do you should take a look at your family history. Often we are suprised by what is found out by a good family history check.
I wish you the best and think it is great that you are looking at this today at such a early age. The knowledge that you gain now will certainly help you down the road whether you decide to stop drinking now or not!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Without reading all the responses I am going to tell you my experience. My husband and I both went through college while having our drinking issues. It's called a functioning alcoholic. At your age you do not have the coping skills to manage or control your drinking. My best advice is to find strength within yoursellf to abstain from it all together.
You'll kinda know how bad it is when yoru friends are pressuring you. That was a wake up call for me. Real friends say "I'm proud of you" and respect your choices.
Talking to a counselor is a wonderful start. Clarity is a wonderful thing once you've over come drinking. Things are better, food tastes better. College is one big drinking hole if you ask me. That was the start of both my husbands and I's drinking problems. It just slowly snowballs. Catch it now and you will be a step ahead of the thousands who struggle.
Good luck. You can do it
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Matt - welcome!

After a few (maybe alot) 'incidents' of drinking/blackouts, I decided that maybe I should go speak to a substance abuse counselor. I love it - it wasn't psycho-therapy or couch-lying, but it was a discussion with an objective party that is experienced in these issues. What is more, she opens my mind to think about things - not necessarily looking for deep-seeded roots of things, but just provokes thought and then lets me decide for myself. She also holds me accountable for drinking/not drinking.
I struggle with labels because I like neat things and black/white things and I did not fit into the alcoholic box that was in my mind. After discussion and my own research, I found that there are few that actually fit into the neat and tidy alcoholic box. I didn't wake up needing a drink, didn't lose anyone, didn't go into financial loss, hurt anyone or myself (which is d*mn lucky), so I didn't fit, but I did lose some self-respect, felt guilt, and shame for my actions which may or may not have been all that bad, but it affected me. Then I did what BeingJen did and look at my family history and decide do I want to be like my grandmother that died of liver problems when my mom was 10? do I want to be my grandfather that has a permanent wing at Holly Hill? do I want to be like my dad who enjoys his rum and cokes and passes out after going through the sentimental talk about how I should have moved in with him so I could be better (I really think I turned out ok: college grad, MBA, VP at fortune 500 company). Anyway - I decided I didn't want to be like that.
I've found nothing but positive effects of not drinking, whatever I'm diagnosed/self-diagnosed as or whatever my family is diagnosed as (which I think we all know).
Good luck - I am a fan of counselors, but make sure if you go this direction, find someone you feel comfortable with where you can laugh with him or her as well as be honest and be honest with yourself.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I never had a problem with the particular substance alcohol. My issue was opiate addiction. But I'm chiming in with this little bit of experience:
When I started at NA, it was suggested to me that it's important that I totally abstain from all mind altering drugs (except those prescribed by my doctor) including alcohol. So I stopped drinking completely, even though I've never abused it. I thought I might miss it or have some times when people look at me funny at events when I no longer have a glass in my hand. I really don't miss it at all. I have just as much fun. It's no big deal for me. When people that don't know about my issues ask me why I'm not drinking, I say "Oh, I don't want anything." Nothing else is ever said. After all, most people are too busy thinking about themselves to worry about what I'm into. And my social life is actually better than ever! So if you aren't an alcoholic, as I wasn't, probably not drinking will be no big deal for you.
KJ