Notices

Lifestyle Change

Old 07-22-2003, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Lifestyle Change

When you are recovering from alcoholism, putting down the can/bottle isn't enough, is it? Isn't an entire lifestyle change necessary? Which includes not hanging with the same type of "partier" people in the same types of places you used to? If so how do you go about making that lifestyle change? Thanks Lolobug
Old 07-22-2003, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I believe that alcoholism is a disease, some believe that it is a learned behaviour, a psychological craving..

Regardless of what your belief, the treatment is the same.

Y ou must change people, places and things! This is a must. You have to simply (although I know its not simple) not go around these people. You have to not go into the bars or hangouts. You have to get rid of triggering objects, like maybe a shot glass you usually drink from. It's pretty easy to figure out what people, places, and things you have to get away from........ now, doing its tougher.

And I believe that you must join a recovery program, whether it's AA or an alternative (a page of them is listed at the bottom right side of the opening page to this site)

Personally, I'd recommend AA. You could go to a meeting and just listen. You can identify yourself as an alcoholic or not (in an open meeting).
Old 07-22-2003, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me recovery starts with a profound spiritual change and outlook on life.

I did this through the working of the Twelve Steps of recovery.

Without this nescessary change I am convinced that I would always be at the risk of a relapse.

AA strongly suugests that early in recovery we avoid people,places and things normally associated with our drinking but it does not mean that we will never be able to hang out at places where alcohol is being served once we are a little more grounded in our sobriety.

The change nescessary for longlasting sobriety has to be a change from within rather than a mere change in our environment and habits.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Yup what the above said and one day at a time! Your going to have to work at it I'm afraid, but the results will make you so proud!
Old 07-22-2003, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

That sure is a good question. One I have also been wondering about. I've stayed away from my friends (all party animals) and been sober for 11 months. I can't say I like it. It is lonely and not a lot of fun. What now?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Moot, I'm sitting here thinking about how I had chucked a shot glass for a 12 oz tumbler (full of vodka mind you not beer) many moons ago. I'd have to throw away all my glasses to get rid of that trigger!

Lolobug, alcoholism or drug addiction is more than just using. There is an entire "culture" of using built up around it. Yes, in the beginning drastic changes need to be made. Hanging out with the same people at the same places is certainly dangerous to the newly recovering. It's not enough just to cut these things out, they need to be replaced with healthier people and places or else loneliness and boredom can set in which are also tremendous triggers. AA has helped me immensely. I have also re-discovered many of the pursuits I always loved but had fallen away from in favor of drinking all the time. If I don't change how I think or what I am doing then nothing ever changes!
Old 07-24-2003, 11:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Re: Lifestyle Change

Originally posted by lolobug3
When you are recovering from alcoholism, putting down the can/bottle isn't enough, is it? Isn't an entire lifestyle change necessary? Which includes not hanging with the same type of "partier" people in the same types of places you used to? If so how do you go about making that lifestyle change? Thanks Lolobug
Putting down the can or bottle is sure a good first step--one a lot of people have trouble taking! So, congratulations if you've done that.

It's helpful to change your patterns of social behavior, since your drinking is a part of that. Here's a quote I picked up a while back:
'Scientific research has shown that the people who have successfully recovered, regardless of the method, all have three basic traits:
1. Commitment to sobriety.
2. Change in lifestyle.
3. They rehearse and plan for urges.'

Are the people you hang out with going to be supportive of your decision not to drink? Or are they likely to try to sabotage your choice? Do you believe you can spend time with them and have fun without drinking? Will they enhance or hinder your commitment to sobriety?

Others on this board have mentioned boredom as an actual trigger to drinking. Actively planning to fill the time which you usually spend drinking can be important to the success of your sobriety. Think about how much time you were spending drinking, and how much of your social activity revolved around it. Finding other ways to fill that time can be a challenge. Developing and pursuing a creative interest can be a very useful tool.

Regardless of what recovery program you choose, or whether you choose one at all, planning for the first few weeks of sobriety makes a big difference. You're making a big physiological change, and making some psychological and emotional changes makes that easier. A little group support from folks who have done the same thing can be useful, and may help you find some sober friends to spend time with.

Thanks for posting, lolobug.
Don S
Old 07-25-2003, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUST FOR TODAY

What has worked for me was going to meetings. Sometimes 2 or three a day. Listening and identifying with an open mind. Now that helps me to stay sober. What is helping me to change my own lifestyle is the 12 Steps of recovery and spiritual principles.
And hanging out with other people that are sober, staying out of bars and other drinking places , where I have no business in.

I tried just putting the drink down a few times. Never worked. I would still hang around my old drinking buddies and continued hanging around in the bar rooms. Never took to long to go back to drinking either.

Today I ask a Higher Power for help in the morning, go to a meeting. Associate with sober people who are in recovery. Watch what they do to stay sober, live a better life and to change their attitude and their thinking. And if they are successful at it, then I do the best I can to do the same things. And today my life is a better life than I ever thought possible. And better than that, I am a better person than I ever thought possible.

Keep Coming Back. Take it easy & keep it simple.

Harry