Notices

Had some bad cravings today...

Old 09-29-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

Had some bad cravings today...

Today was probably my worst day of cravings. exactly 1 week after quitting a few times today my mind kept trying to tell me how awesome a few cold beers and a bag of chips would taste.

I was able to fight it off and went for my daily run instead, but I must admit It was like this whole other person in my head trying to convince me how good it would be and that it was no big deal.

This is what I dreaded would come back when I first decided to get sober. I have a list of things to do to keep me busy and away from the drink, but I was wondering do the cravings start to become less and less powerful the further you distance yourself from the time you drank?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it is a whole other person in your head. it's called your disease. i think he's like the bibles description of satan. here to kill steal and destroy. you're doing great. keep on your course. imagine how horrible it would be if you gave it. i promise you a little bit of recovery will ruin a binge. you don't want to go back. you can do this. just remember though if you do slip and you survive it's not the end. don't ever give up. claw your way back to where you were even if you have to crawl.

V
Old 09-29-2008, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, got sidetracked. yes the cravings do get better. eventually they go to just fleeting thoughts and you end up asking yourself "what the hell was that" and "wonder why i thought that" and you move on. it takes a while. for now fill your time and your mind with something productive. like running that was perfect. your body still releases endorphines. awesome. you're doing great. prayers headed your way.

V
Old 09-29-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober week! I'm 78 days sober today, and yes, my cravings are becoming less frequent and not as strong. I'm learning to 'talk back' to my alcoholic self when it tries to sabotage my recovery.

Hang in there! It does get better!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good for you, 1 week would seem like a miracle to me; maybe I should make a list of things to do when I have the urge to drink; I'll have to try the talking back to my alcoholic self, maybe I can use my rebellious nature that way;
Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

gantz every person is different, for some people that craving/obsession weakens with time until it is almost nothing more then a fleeting thought by simply staying busy doing other things.

I tried that method over and over again for years and it seemed as though the longer I went without a drink the worse the obsession got for a drink, I did everything while drinking so there was really nothing I could do that did not in one way or another seem to trigger that obsession, even exercise was a trigger for me, when I was drinking there was no better way to "cool" down then a few beers! I always seemed to wind up drinking again.

What I found was the key for me was working a recovery program, simply staying busy and not drinking made me crazier every passing day for a drink. If you find that your obsession for a drink to be getting worse you may want to consider one of many recovery programs, these programs are geared to get one through those intense craving and learning how to live life with out drinking.

AA is the recovery program that worked for me, but there are other programs that work as well, if you find your self really struggling..... try working a program. My counselor in detox told me that I needed to devote as much time to working on my recovery as I did drinking for a good 3 months or more until I was doing good. I have found there is a huge difference between working on ones recovery then just staying busy. My experience was staying busy did nothing to change me into a better sober person, I got bored staying busy and never changing, recovery I have found to be exciting and rewarding.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wing Nut

Wow Good feedback. Lots of stuff I can relate to. Sometimes the cravings still hit, and I just stop and think about everything I have now that I wouldn't have if I hadn't stopped...I hope that makes sense. I think it helps me to know why I am craving what I am and to do some mental work/meditation on it. To figure out the underlying reason and cope with it, instead of run from it.

For me, yeah, the cravings are always there, but they're few and far between now. It helps that I've surrounded myself with people that will respect and understand my sobriety rather than question it. I think it's a person to person basis.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

thanks guys those were some really good ideas. I really like the last one about stopping to think about everything you have since you stopped that you could not have had if you had continued. I guess for me it will take some time but I am slowly getting back into really good shape (i mean super strict diet and pretty intense workouts). I know myself well enough that if I get my body into excellent shape again I will be to vain to lose it all to beer...and man when I drink I lose my shape fast!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Keep going you are doing great!

Caty31
x