Notices

So my wife called me out.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Sorry to dig this up AGAIN, but I find it so interesting to go back and READ the progression of my thoughts over the past couple years. I still have the same drinking patterns as I did a couple years ago. Of course every once in a while there's that one night I have one or two extra and feel like crap the next day.

Funny I seem to be doing this the same rough time of year as well! Sorry if this bothers anyone. Maybe it'll give someone else aside from myself some insight.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you again Azreal.

I think this time of year is hard for a lot of people....but I also think it's true nothing changes if nothing changes.

It's hard to quit, but it's hard to keep doing what you're doing too, right?

D
Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

It took me a long time between the point of "Am I an alcoholic" and "This crap has to stop." I wish it hadn't taken so long.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

At some point in my drinking career, my daily drinking escalated past the 4 to 6 beers.

Real nice thing about not drinking, I feel real good every morning I get up. No guilt or remorse to any family members or friends.

Doing a little math in my head right now what, the drinking costs you a year that, you're putting in the toilet!!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

woops.......nevermind.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:14 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Azreal - Glad you are here and looking forward to the journey.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Azreal View Post
Sorry to dig this up AGAIN, but I find it so interesting to go back and READ the progression of my thoughts over the past couple years. I still have the same drinking patterns as I did a couple years ago. Of course every once in a while there's that one night I have one or two extra and feel like crap the next day.

Funny I seem to be doing this the same rough time of year as well! Sorry if this bothers anyone. Maybe it'll give someone else aside from myself some insight.
I like when people bump threads. Nice to keep in touch with people's stories!

It's possible you're not an alcoholic per se. But probably true to say that you're not living your best life, right? I don't see how you can drink that much and be as happy as you deserve. Alcoholi is a toxin and a depressant. I feel pretty certain you'd be happier spending that time/money/energy elsewhere.

I know I'm a much better parent since I quit. I see things now that I never noticed before. Like I've woken up.

Stick around and keep posting!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Dismember

Alcoholism will always come with the inevitable cheating in moderation.

"It's the weekend, I can have a little more... My day was stressful, I can have a little more... I only had 3 beers yesterday, I can rollover the rest for today."

I think once any relationship starts to come into jeapordy it's time to really consider a quit. If drinking is just a side hobby it shouldn't be asking much to put it away. And if drinking is a drinking problem then it's a good idea to stop because it never goes into remission, but usually progresses.

And I also would hope for no more "you don't drink enough to be an alcoholic" comments. There is nothing normal or healthy about drinking a six pack or a bottle of wine a day.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
There is nothing normal or healthy about drinking a six pack or a bottle of wine a day.
ITA with that. I just think that it's possible to drink a lot every day and for it not to progress. I didn't say anything about normal or healthy
Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Dismember

Oh yeah, your comment wasn't being excusing like some others. It's true it need not progress. If it does, it does; if it doesn't, it doesn't.

I just can't fathom why anyone would think that a person with a normal and healthy drinking habit would come to a website like this. People don't usually go looking for help unless they need it.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

My fiance had the complete life, kids with a career, home etc. He started drinking just as you did, after work to unwind. His exwife started to call him out on it. He went to AA but still drank, increasing his drinking with each child (he has 3).

She divorced him. Then he spiraled completely downwards and to make a long story short, he lost everything, got marks on his record because of DUI (limiting his job prospects), pushed away by his family, became homeless (couch surfing, park benches). Took reaching that level of despair to check into an intensive program. Now he is rebuilding his life literally from the ground up. We are not getting married until he really commits to getting a job, his own place, etc.

Get the help now before you lose everything. Trust me, my fiance IS a normal guy who came from a great home, went to great colleges etc. It can and does happen.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I definitely don't think the bottle of wine or 6 pack is healthy. My wife hasn't said anything to be about alcohol for probably over a year? That's a guess. Since my last bump, we've had another beautiful little girl, who's almost 3 months old. So now I have 2 little girls(almost 3 and almost 3 months) and a beautiful wife at home

I think I'm actually getting to a point in my life where there's just no room for alcohol. The stress and responsibility at work has increased exponentially. I'm working 70-75 hr weeks and hardly see my family as it is. I really CAN'T afford to wake up hung over or feeling like crap and not being able to perform at work. I can and have fumbled my way through the 12 hours days feeling like crap just to go home and do it all over again that night. Pretty dumb huh?

Do I think I'm an alcoholic....based on the fact that i have those random nights where I just keep drinking even though I kind of chuckle to myself and say, "Boy tomorrow is gonna suck", yes. No sensible or logical person would do that. I don't ever want to be on the park bench or on a couch, away from my family.

Thanks for all the posts