Notices

DUI please.. some insight

Old 09-20-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI please.. some insight

Well, I got a DUI 3 months ago, and i feel like it's already ruining my life. I never thought i had a drinking problem, but now I see I did. I didn't drink too often, but when i did, i did it irresponsibly. I have decided to never drink again. I don't need it, and it just brought problems into my life.

The thing i'm worried about is jobs and having a criminal history. I am looking for a job, but i am terrified. I am in the healthcare field working as a caregiver for the last 5 years.. I have called many places already and they all require me to have a clean background. It just seems like no one other than walmart will give me a chance again. I want to pursue a career in nursing.. wanting to go to LVN school, but i'm just so disappointed.

I would love to hear some stories if anyone has any, about the impact a dui has on looking for a job. I am so depressed over this.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First , don't ever lie about it.Second , I don't really think its a " criminal " matter unless its felony DWI.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to see you here, thanks for posting and welcome.

1st of all, talk to an attorney who handles DUI cases. Go over all of your legal options and then if you want to worry about a criminal history you can. But talk to someone who knows the laws and how they effect you in your state.

I just resolved my DUI and to tell you the truth, the DUI was the best thing that ever happened to me next to meeting the most important person in my life 3 years ago. I was unemployed for over a year and was worried about how a DUI would effect my job chances in my preferred field of work, law. I did miss a few opportunities because of it but the fact that I learned how important sobriety is means that I can find employment once I have been sober for a length of time. After my last relapse I now realize that where I work is not as important as staying sober because if I cannot manage my own life, how can I work a job. Don't be ashamed to work at Wal Mart, instead be proud that you are sober.

That being said, only you can determine if you are an alcoholic as not everyone who gets a DUI is. Some people do make honest lapses in judgement. Be honest and truthful with yourself and the answers will come. There are tests you can take on sober recovery and I would even suggest reading the Big Book of AA pages 1-164. It is interesting and you may find it helpful.

Keep your chin up, stay sober and remember one thing, alcohol / chemical dependency treatment is in the healthcare field. A lot of counselors are in AA or are recovering alcoholics and they do require RN's in certain facilities. You may have 1 door close but another may open.

Thanks for posting and take care.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is a criminal matter; a misdemeanor. And it's now on my criminal record forever. I am not going to lie about it. It's on public records on the web for everyone to see.
I am so ashamed of this.. if i could take that night back, i would... but I can't. Only time will tell how sorry I am about it. Never, ever will I drink again.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

My gf has a DUI on her record and has since worked as a caregiver for 2 assisted living facilities and two in-home care agencies.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((80Sparkle))) You are still a good person. You had a lapse in judgment and you'll never do it again. Forgive yourself and go on. Don't beat yourself up over something you can't change as far as taking it back, but you can go on now and make sure you don't do it again. Chin up hon. I think you got some wonderful advice from Tennis71. I am sure there will be lots of other helpful advice and support.

By the way, welcome to SR!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You said you have decided you will never drink again. Never say never. When someone declares that statement it is not good. It may open the door for a relapse. In AA you are asked to have a desire to stop drinking and don't drink today. That is why we take it one day at a time. Sobriety is not promised tomorrow. Attending a meeting could be a great benifit for you. You will meet people just like yourself and understand where you have been, more important they are the greatest support system.
Your future is open for you so long as you stay sober. Many opportunities in the health care field are available for you to pursue.
I have been in the field for 25yrs and I am amazed at how many of us are in the health care field. Surgeons to sanitation engeneers. Keep working on sobriety one day at a time and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Best wishes and great sobriety. LOL
Old 09-20-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

80Sparkle, I agree with deezal, at least for me I know it works better day by day rather than "never again". When I went down the road of "never again" my mind began throwing out scenarios that had me shaking, wondering how I would deal with them without drinking. I try to let tomorrow take care of itself.

I don't have anything to tell you about DUIs specifically, but I too am running into many health care workers who got sober after some kind of 'consequence'- sometimes having their license at risk of being pulled. They got their act together and are still working. What I would do is keep applying for those jobs, don't ask about the background check first. Once you've done your best to dazzle them on your application/resume and in the interview, deal with the background check as it comes. There's huge demand for caregivers and that helps. Your continuing sobriety will show people that they can place trust in you again.

You sound like you could really use some moral support. *hug* Welcome to SR!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Try not to get too depressed over it. The negative consequences may not be as bad as you think. Build a trustworthy reputation from now on and don't beat yourself up over the past. It may take a while to move on past the DUI, but keep moving forward one day at a time. That's all you can do.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR's Alcoholism Forum
Old 09-20-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Originally Posted by 80Sparkle View Post
It is a criminal matter; a misdemeanor. And it's now on my criminal record forever. I am not going to lie about it. It's on public records on the web for everyone to see.
I am so ashamed of this.. if i could take that night back, i would... but I can't. Only time will tell how sorry I am about it. Never, ever will I drink again.
go talk to a laywer and see if you can get it enspounged.(sp?)
or search online and fiond a laywer message board and find out if you can.

enspounged means they take it off your record..

it`s worth a try
Old 09-20-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everyone I knew use to have at least 1 DUI. It isn't a huge deal but a second DUI will make your life hell. I know from experience.

tib
Old 09-20-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I have been sober a little while now and during my time in AA and NA I have seen some real miracles regarding these kind of things.

I've seen people return to prisons, they were once prisoners in, to carry the message of recovery.

I've seen people who wanted to travel get let into countries that should have turned them away due to drug convictions, fire arms charges etc...

And like you have expressed people able to start or go back to careers that, if it weren't for recovery, they wouldn't have had a chance in.

Not drinking and/or drugging is just the 1st miracle of soberity, as I understand it. With an honest attitude and faith in God/HP things happen, usually in ways I could never plan.....

Old 09-20-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

bballdad & 80sparkle - expunged is the term your looking for.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey 80.

I'm new at this as well, but since I hate to sugar-coat, here is how I see it:

If you got a DUI, that usually means it is not the first time you drove after a few drinks. I've driven under the influence countless times, and never got pulled over. And I know eleventy-billion people who have driven while drunk who have never got even a ticket. Usually the time you get your first DUI, is when you get comfortable with doing it, and get sloppy enough for the cops to notice it. So I'm willing to bet this is the first time you got caught, yet not the first time you've done it.

Yes, it sucks. and you'll have to live with the consequences of having that in your file with your local police department. But take it as a clue to wake the bleep up!

You'll find a LOT of good info in this forum. Some you'll agree with, some you won't. But don't brush this off. This time you got it easy. Next time it could be a DUI after killing someone. Not only a lot worse in your record, and much higher penalty, but stop to think about it for a minute.

And no, a misdemeanor will not appear on a criminal record check. I have a couple of misdemeanor offenses in my record, and I work at a high security facility.

So get help. Get some medical help to get yourself clean, and if you're having any issues what so ever with staying clean, seek some support. This some freakshly serious stuff, and don't ever forget it. You could easily mess up not only yours, but also the lives of some innocent bystanders.

/7 days and counting.....
Old 09-20-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

J - A bit harsh don't ya think??
Old 09-21-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

only issue with expunged is . that "if " you were to get into another situation of a dwi . it wont be noted as your 1st , it will be your 2nd and thejudge can slap it hard. expunging will not keep you from any of the penitlitys but it will take it off your record . I have 2 dwi's in under 8 months My atty wouldnt allow me to use it , And i think it was the best for me to learn my lessons . and if i got a 3rd..i wouldnt have a way out you can only use the expung 1 time! and the dwi is only on your rcord for 10 yrs. then its disolved outta them not an atty but been thu the courts several times on dwi's for me it took the 2nd and a hard lesson to learn lifes to precious to waste it being a drunk or in jail or worse . today sober thu the grace of my hp and AA...
Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Yes it was a bit harsh, but I don't think it was said with malintentions.

A DUI is a crazy thing - I've never had one although I should have several. My cousin who is 10 years my elder hardly ever drinks although after only two drinks he drove home, got pulled over, and got a DUI. My best friend, a God loving Christian who is on fire for Jesus and hardly ever drinks (has drank once in the past 6 years - a glass of wine during New Year's LOL) has a DUI from his younger years. Sometimes life isn't fair.

I'm glad no one was injured including you OP. Have you had your court date yet? You can get it reduced to a reckless operation but it is still viewed as a DUI reduced by most companies.

You'll find quite a few inspiring stories on the board so don't do these things:
1. Drink
2. Give up hope!

I remember a story of someone (was it Barbwyred?) that admitted to being an alcoholic and got the job because of her complete honesty.

Remember it could have been worse...A LOT WORSE!

Best of luck and look for those stories!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I still think it was a bit harsh and to assume that the op has driven several times before intoxicated is absurd. As you pointed out it could have been the first time. I don't like to assume things any ways. I also think the op had REAL remorse already and SR is here to support and advise people, but not to knock them down when they're already down. Know what I mean? Joao probably did have good intentions and I know there are a lot of hardliners on SR, but they are a bit more tactful in the timing and with their posts. Just my opinion and others may disagree. I too have not had a DWI or DUI, but most definitely could have and should have at times when I was younger.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
I didn't think it was harsh at all. Frank, but not harsh. Like I said, I don't sugar-coat. The reason I decided to be frank is because I got the impression the original poster didn't quite grasp the implications of what happened.

And yes, if you consult with any police department they will tell you that the vast majority of the people who get charged with DUI are people who have been doing it for quite a while, and didn't think much of it. I don't have the statistics, and I'm running out the door at the moment, but I'm sure one could find it online.

--Joao--
No time for drug addiction
No time for smoke and booze
Too strong for a shortened life span
I've got no time to lose
~~Henry Rollins