Notices

How Many Do Not Get The Cravings

Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Many Do Not Get The Cravings

I see a lot of people post on here about the intense cravings being an integral part of active alcoholism. I can not relate to this at all as I never really had the cravings. I've always been a binge drinker and my last binge almost killed me but I've always had the ability to stop for long periods between binges and never had any cravings. A lot of binge drinkers seem to be able to stop for prolonged time periods but like myself go totally off the deep end when they do drink. I think that the only reason I'm still alive is the ability to stop for long periods of time.

Years ago I attended a few AA meetings but just couldn't relate to a lot of what was being said. The "powerlessness over alcohol" never made any sense to me as I could stop for long periods and not even think about it and every time I did drink I made the conscious decision not some unknown force that I was powerless over. I could also never relate to the cravings people talked about as when I wasn't drinking I didn't really think about it or focus on it. Does the ability to "turn it off" for long periods between binges make you different from the average alcoholic or am I rationalizing?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The world we live in today is not forgiving. Nor does it allow it's citizens ignorance and thus bliss. I think there are many people out there who binge to a high degree and yet are not alcoholics. Life is an extreme spectrum. Its' hard. Sometimes people need to cope anyway they can. As with me I think Alcohol dependency is more subtle with reference to you and I. Despite the time period we inevitably go back to our homeland....

My mother drinks a lot and in my mind she is a binge drinker. Not an alcoholic. Life has left her out in the cold so long. She has become socially deformed. Alone and paranoid. I'm her son I can't help her any longer. Too many years...Too many years of her being alone. What is she meant to do? She turns to alcohol because it is the only way she can cope. I myself even within periods of happiness (relative to my life) will turn to drink. I until now (19-20 days sober) have not been able to escape it. I can completely relate to your words.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

BTSO the powerlessness over alcohol spoken of in AA is once one has that first drink. I am an alcoholic and I do have the power of choosing not to drink today, so from that stand point I do have power over alcohol, but once I have a single drink, before I even finish it I am already craving the next. I had my first drink at about 11 years old, a friend stole a 6 pack and we were sitting in my dads shed, the three of us and we each grabbed a beer, well even though I did not like the taste of that beer, I wanted another one before I had finished the first one. I know I drank 2 more because my friends did not even finish thier first...... and to be honest if there had been more I probably would have drank more.

A lot of binge drinkers seem to be able to stop for prolonged time periods but like myself go totally off the deep end when they do drink.
Exactly what I am speaking of.

The insanity spoken of in AA is the times when some how we forget the hell of our past drinking and some how convince our selfs that it will be different this time and drink again. Sometimes the insanity is suddenly finding ones self with a drink already in hand and half drunk wondering "How did this happen?"

I quit for a year and a half in my early 20's and started again.

Does the ability to "turn it off" for long periods between binges make you different from the average alcoholic or am I rationalizing?
The binge drinkers I know in AA in their final years of drinking share that the time sober between binges drew shorter and shorter as their disease progressed and many times the length of the binges would get longer, some of them over the years progressed to the point where they basically were on a never ending binge.

The main thing to keep in mind is that it is not how often one drinks, how much one drinks, nor how long one has drank that determines whether they are an alcoholic or not, it is what happens to one when they drink that determines it.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I spent many years as a binge drinker. I also rationalized that I could not be an alcoholic because I didn't have to have a drink every day. What I did not realize at the time were a couple of things that indicated I might have a problem:
* I looked forward to my next drink
* When I drank trying to control how much I drank was extremely hard. If I controlled how much I drank I did not enjoy it and if I enjoyed it then I lost control of how much I drank.
I am sure there were more things but these were the biggies. I even spent a year not drinking just to prove that I wasn't an alcoholic.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. One can stop its progression any where they recognize the disease and choose to stop. Unfortunatly many people don't realize or accept that they have a problem until it is out of control.

As far as the obsession goes. By the end of my drinking it was kind of like the obsesssion/craving one gets for a cigarette when they are trying to stop. The thought would not leave my head until I fed the thought with a drink. Today, I no longer have that obsession. You choose what floor of the elevator you want to get off on........there is no need to ride it all the way to the bottom.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

I was a binge drinker. Over time, the binges became more frequent (3 or 4 times a month) and longer in duration (most times, 3 days of continuous drinking). After the worst of these binges, my thinking would cycle as follows:

- I will never ever drink again
- Hey, that last binge wasn’t really that bad
- You know, I think I can control alcohol
- I think I will have a few drinks or get drunk & have fun for just one evening

I never did reach the point where I constantly craved alcohol.

To me "powerlessness over alcohol" means:

After a binge, swearing off alcohol forever yet eventually ending up drunk again. Am I really in control? Am I actually making a sane decision? No. To me, this is alcoholic obsession and rationalization. It really is insanity. Drinking for 3 days, unable to stop, blacking out, risking everything - my health, safety, family & career. The sane response is “don’t drink anymore” and yet I kept doing it over & over for years.

After a certain number of drinks, I have to drink until I pass out. Occasionally, I could stop at 1, 2, or 3 drinks (it was a fight) but this was just an illusion of control. Sooner or later, I would end up on a bender.

If I was not powerless over alcohol, I would have quit years ago. I would have been able to say that alcohol does not work for me and just stop.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker. I don't get cravings like I've heard so many do and am grateful I don't have them. I do get what I call "compulsions" but they don't last long. I have no doubts that I'm an alcoholic.

Lenina
Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"There are many situations which arise out of the phenomenon of craving which cause men to make the supreme sacrifice rather than continue to fight.
The classification of alcoholics seems most difficult, and in much detail is outside the scope of this book. There are, of course, the psychopaths who are emotionally unstable. We are all familiar with this type. They are always "going on the wagon for keeps." They are over-remorseful and make many resolutions, but never a decision.

There is the type of man who is unwilling to admit that he cannot take a drink. He plans various ways of drinking. He changes his brand or his environment. There is the type who always believes that after being entirely free from alcohol for a period of time he can take a drink without danger. There is the manic-depressive type, who is, perhaps, the least understood by his friends, and about whom a whole chapter could be written.

Then there are types entirely normal in every respect except in the effect alcohol has upon them. They are often able, intelligent, friendly people.

All these, and many others, have one symptom in common: they cannot start drinking without developing the phenomenon of craving. This phenomenon, as we have suggested, may be the manifestation of an allergy which differentiates these people, and sets them apart as a distinct entity. It has never been, by any treatment with which we are familiar, permanently eradicated. The only relief we have to suggest is entire abstinence.

This immediately precipitates us into a seething caldron of debate. Much has been written pro and con, but among physicians, the general opinion seems to be that most chronic alcoholics are doomed."
Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I was a binge drinker. Over time, the binges became more frequent (3 or 4 times a month) and longer in duration (most times, 3 days of continuous drinking). After the worst of these binges, my thinking would cycle as follows:

- I will never ever drink again
- Hey, that last binge wasn’t really that bad
- You know, I think I can control alcohol
- I think I will have a few drinks or get drunk & have fun for just one evening

I never did reach the point where I constantly craved alcohol.

To me "powerlessness over alcohol" means:

After a certain number of drinks, I have to drink until I pass out. Occasionally, I could stop at 1, 2, or 3 drinks (it was a fight) but this was just an illusion of control. Sooner or later, I would end up on a bender.

If I was not powerless over alcohol, I would have quit years ago. I would have been able to say that alcohol does not work for me and just stop.
I concur, word for word.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober member

what brought you to this site?
if youre questioning your drinking but its not controlling you,you still have time to change your future!

stop binge drinking,1 or 2 per drinking session,if you cant do that then there may be a problem you havent discovered yet,but my advice would be DONT WAIT until it does show its evil face.

I wish i had posted this 20 years ago,it would have saved so much chaos!

good luck and feel free to talk to people here,they have some real good advice.

take care
Old 09-05-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I see a lot of people post on here about the intense cravings being an integral part of active alcoholism. I can not relate to this at all as I never really had the cravings. I've always been a binge drinker and my last binge almost killed me but I've always had the ability to stop for long periods between binges and never had any cravings. A lot of binge drinkers seem to be able to stop for prolonged time periods but like myself go totally off the deep end when they do drink. I think that the only reason I'm still alive is the ability to stop for long periods of time.

Years ago I attended a few AA meetings but just couldn't relate to a lot of what was being said. The "powerlessness over alcohol" never made any sense to me as I could stop for long periods and not even think about it and every time I did drink I made the conscious decision not some unknown force that I was powerless over. I could also never relate to the cravings people talked about as when I wasn't drinking I didn't really think about it or focus on it. Does the ability to "turn it off" for long periods between binges make you different from the average alcoholic or am I rationalizing?
\

Sounds to me like you know exactly what cravings are. If you are not powerless over alcohol - why do you binge when you drink? Because it's fun? A good idea?

Regardless of being able to stay away for a period of time - if you find that you can't stop drinking once you start (that is what a binge is correct?), then what is going on? Either you have power over going on a binge when you drink, or you don't. Which is it?

You are right about cravings - they only happen when alcohol is in the body. Obsession of the mind is the desire to have a drink when you have been away from it for awhile. It was critical for me to know the difference.

Unless your 'conscious decision' was to almost die from drinking - you may want to take a closer look at what's going on. If you know you are going to binge when you drink, and that a binge could mean death. Why in the world would you consciously decide to have a drink? Boiling it down - a drink means death, and you are choosing death (alcoholic death is not pretty).

What good reason can you possibly provide for the decision you made last time you took a drink and ended up almost dead?

Rationalizing? - I would say yes.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ever closer...

The troubles that an alcoholic has is the inability to say enough is enough. I don't have any cravings but that doesn't mean that i don't think "wow a cold beer would be great on this hot day" but I have admitted that i am powerless over alcohol and alcohol has made my life unmanagable.
It is that acceptence of the absolute truth that has kept me sober one day at a time. Unfortunelty there is no lab test or xray to give a diagnosis of alcohlism, we just gotta find out ourselves.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

My younger brother and I used to sit and he would debate with me regarding his being an "alcoholic" as he and his paid "therapist" had determined that he was a "binge drinker" and therefore not an alcoholic like his older brother (me) who drank everyday. The therapist dismissed AA as a bunch of fear mongers and a cult.

My brother had been in and out of 4 rehabs and still would go on one of his binges, during one of which he had been fired from a position that paid him well in excess of 250K per year, another which landed him in jail for domestic intimidation of his wife, (now ex-wife), and so on and so on.

Fast forward 3 years ago during one of his binges, he apparently, since no one else was present and he was too drunk to remember, we will never know for sure; he fell down the stairs in his home and was found 4 hours later by his 8 year old son in a pool of blood at the bottom of the stairs.

That's the bad news; the good news is that it CURED him of either his alcoholism or simple binge drinking depending who you listen to.

He doesn’t drink anymore; this is due to the fact that he has no use of either his arms or legs as a quadriplegic and he is on so many types of pain medications that he wouldn't feel the effects that alcohol produces anyway.

I (the daily drinker), and confessed alcoholic, continue to go to AA and after not quite 9 years of doing so, am very happy to know that the only time I don't have a drinking problem is WHEN I DON'T DRINK.

Sorry to be so long winded, but the term binge drinker kind of sends me over the edge. You see, I used to hunt and fish and ski with my brother, but since he convinced himself with the aid of his good Dr. that he "WAS JUST A BINGE DRINKER" I do a lot of those activities with others now.

Jon
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I only craved alcohol in early sobriety....about 2 months.
The longer I stayed sober ...the less frequent and intense
were the cravings. They were a inor annoyance.

Now were these mental or physical?
Darn if I know or care.

As long as I continue my recovery
I know I need not be concerned

I'm a non drinking alcoholic.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober member

same stair episode happened to me a few years ago,but I kept going,i wasnt done yet!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Early in my career I would binge. It seems like a distant memory but some time ago I could drink and drink hard then put it away until the next weekend without a hitch. Those were in the early years. A couple years was all this binge drinking chapter in my life would last. It was shortly after I turned 18-19 I developed this "Mental Obsession" that we refer to in our description of an Alcoholic. I had to drink every day. There were no bouts of any voluntary sobriety anywhere in the mix.
I look back with amazement that I almost had some bouts of normal drinking in my early life where I could put it down after one or two. This is where I really have to dig back some 25 years or more to look at what I was like so I can even begin to understand this "Binge Drinking"
Towards the twilight of my career I couldn't imagine going a day without alcohol.
I believe the cravings in an alcoholic start after the first drink and it takes a while for the mental obsession to set in to the point of causing an absolute need to drink every day.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beingjenagain View Post
The troubles that an alcoholic has is the inability to say enough is enough. I don't have any cravings but that doesn't mean that i don't think "wow a cold beer would be great on this hot day" but I have admitted that i am powerless over alcohol and alcohol has made my life unmanagable.
It is that acceptence of the absolute truth that has kept me sober one day at a time. Unfortunelty there is no lab test or xray to give a diagnosis of alcohlism, we just gotta find out ourselves.

Yes! You know, when talking with someone who wants to quit drinking, or is going through the steps, I never use the word craving (unless we are formally going through the Dr's Opinion where that word is forever defined clearly). I ask - what happens when you drink? What happens when you don't drink?

If ever, I have lost the control of the amount I drank once I started..
If ever, I have taken a drink when I swore off (say Sunday morning I SWEAR that I'll never drink again just to be buying a twelve pack on Thursday)...

It all boils down to experience, not so much words and definitions. Certainly AA does not have the rights to define what is meant by the word craving - but it sure is helpful when differentiating what goes on in my body vs what goes on in my mind...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I've always been a binge drinker and my last binge almost killed me but I've always had the ability to stop for long periods between binges and never had any cravings.
For your own welfare you should look at your drinking like this:

I've always had the ability to stop for long periods between binges and never had any cravings but I've always been a binge drinker and my last binge almost killed me.

That is your reality.

sugErspun said it so well I have to post it again.
Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
Sounds to me like you know exactly what cravings are. If you are not powerless over alcohol - why do you binge when you drink? Because it's fun? A good idea?

Regardless of being able to stay away for a period of time - if you find that you can't stop drinking once you start (that is what a binge is correct?), then what is going on? Either you have power over going on a binge when you drink, or you don't. Which is it?

You are right about cravings - they only happen when alcohol is in the body. Obsession of the mind is the desire to have a drink when you have been away from it for awhile. It was critical for me to know the difference.

Unless your 'conscious decision' was to almost die from drinking - you may want to take a closer look at what's going on. If you know you are going to binge when you drink, and that a binge could mean death. Why in the world would you consciously decide to have a drink? Boiling it down - a drink means death, and you are choosing death (alcoholic death is not pretty).

What good reason can you possibly provide for the decision you made last time you took a drink and ended up almost dead?

Rationalizing? - I would say yes.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I used to get cravings and those cravings took over my life. I would make up an excuse to go to the store just to get a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer, or a twelve if it was Friday-Sunday. I don't get the cravings anymore. I have been able to come to the conclusion that the alcohol was killing me and killing the relationship with my wife and children. The thought of drinking now makes me sick and I wonder all the time now why did I allow myself to waste so much of my life. I love my new life, I just hope I can get my marriage back and show mt loved ones I am a new man. My actions will hopefully restore the confidense my wife has lost in me. I miss my best friend and hope I can get her back.

Shawn
Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker. I'd go on a binge every day. Crazy, mad benders. For some reason, when I finally went to AA - I never had the urge to drink ever again.
Why?
I drank every freakin' day for years.. and then nothing!
Its' been twelve years now.

I am blessed. Thoroughly blessed.
God has been good to me.
Mike
Old 09-06-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can't say that I have cravings but I don't want it around me either. I did way back wonder how the heck I was going to stay sober because I could not. I've been doing it now 100% on my own for a month out of my treatment center and have almost one year sober. I'm very grateful!!