Notices

When is someone defined as an alcoholic?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

soupdragon wrote:
What I should have said was what are the medical or textbook definitions as in comparison to the stereotypical views in society at large i.e the person who needs a drink everyday,wakes up drinks in a morning,needs alcohol to stave off the DT's and shakes,the street drinker with the brown paper bag(although we dont have that law in UK).
Stereotypes are just that: they attempt to fit people into a mold, a mold that doesn't really explain human individuality. There are lots of us alcoholics who have never nor ever will reach the state of living on the street. Others have unfortunately slipped into that reality. I've never had the DT's, nor have I ever been in detox, forced or voluntary. I never needed to drink everyday, but I chose to drink everyday. (I always had a choice). I never needed a drink in the morning to cure a hangover, but I practiced that method a lot because I thought it was a good idea at the time. I never lost my teeth to alcohol, (though two of my brothers have), and I pass my regular dental checkups with flying colors. I've never let alcohol compromise my personal hygiene or appearance.

I think textbook definitions of alcoholism are difficult to establish: they are generally based on studies and interviews. In other words, they are generally based on what we alcoholics choose to reveal about our drinking. That in my opinion skews any truly scientific study because so many alcoholics are ashamed of their drinking and may not be comfortable being totally honest about how much they drink. And, the other problem with decisive studies is that they must be extremely long term, spanning decades. I have yet to read about such a study that followed the lives of alcoholics closely from a clinical point of view, for decades.

Sorry for babbling here, I have digressed. Perhaps the answer to your question: "how chronic do I have to get to be called an alcoholic" can be answered by looking at yourself through the prism of time. 20 years ago, I did not drink everyday nor did I drink in the mornings. I was however, an alcoholic. Because I could not stop at one and I drank to get drunk. Alcohol is a progressive disease. I lost more control with each passing year. And time is the element that shaped that progression.

I think you are very wise for doing what you are doing, now! I look around at the young people, (well, younger than me.....), at AA meetings who maybe drank for 5 or 10 years and then stopped, and I admire them so much. I don't look at them and say: "pipsqueeks! featherweights!"
No, quite the contrary, I think they are wise, and lucky to not have had to endure, for example, a 25 year descent into insanity like I endured. I value their contributions to the meetings because they also bring young perspectives to problem solving.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

SD, I have not taken your posts as criticism or are mine meant to be. I feel as if you may be reading into what others are thinking. If another at a meeting got it before I did, I considered them smarter than I. I never viewed them lesser than. I do understand where you are coming from as far as an inferior complex goes. I think many can relate to that. However, it may be your thoughts alone. It may not be that others are judging you or are sharing your same thoughts. It may exist within your own mind. I say that because I used to think I knew what others were thinking all of the time. Now I know that not to be true. Funny thing, I don't claim to be clairvoyant, but I have a very vivid imagination and it ran wild at times. I have to laugh at myself and some of my behaviors in the past.

The intent of my post was to stress the progression of the disease. I did that through my ES&H. You state you don't have the ability to drink a lot or heavily, so now I am confused. If that were true, you wouldn't be here asking questions and showing concern about your problem. I believe I get the gist of what you are saying. I think it is important to stress that others most likely aren't comparing and try not to give it anymore concern. We have walked in your shoes and understand and can relate.

In short, we are the only ones who can make the determination of whether or not we are an alcoholic. There should be no comparisons. It is our lives and the lives of our loved one that are affected. High bottom, low bottom, it could always be worse. If alcohol is interfering with your quality of life, it is a problem.

Perhaps a sponsor could help you with the feelings you are having. It helps to share and get it out on the table. I for one am glad that your drinking hasn't progressed into a larger state. It is a place you really don't want to enter into. My reason for being here is to help others from doing just that. We all are at different stages of recovery. We are still learning and growing. Best wishes!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Soupdragon,

Just picking up on something you said about you have a friend who drinks everyday but is not alcoholic.

I have to accept that some people can and do drink more than i have and do not have a problem with it. There is a difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic.

Someone said to me once that when alcohol starts costing you more than money that's when you know you have a problem. This was definately the case with me.

Another thing i look at is that i cannot stop at one without wanting more. I have tried limiting myself to one or two but the rest of the night the craving takes over, all i think about is that i want another one. I have even gone without after the first one just to prove to myself that i can do it. Will power is a funny thing but it didn't stop my mind craving and wanting a drink. Controlled drinking is all about relaxing with a drink, rather than wanting to get drunk. I have friends that can do it, just have one or two then go home for a cup of tea or hot chocolate and the thought of another drink will not enter their head.

I have accepted that i am different from a social drinker and a heavy drinker. I am an alcoholic and you know what? I haven't got a problem with that because that's who i am. The decision i have is whether knowing that i am an alcoholic do i choose to pick up the first drink, because that's the one i can control.

Paul
Old 09-01-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am no doctor by any means, but I have been around a lot of alcoholics in my lifetime, grandparents, father, many BF's.

My definition of a true alcoholic is not only someone who drinks every day, but also it can be a binge drinker as well.

My definition would be:

1.) Drinks only to get drunk (to get away)
2.) Can't go 1 day without even thinking about a drink.
3.) Can't do normal activities without a drink (like my BF can't grill unless he has a beer)
4.) Get so drunk that you eventually pass out wherever you are.
5.) Get so drunk, you "black out" & lose control.

Those are some examples, and they're just my personal opinion. So even though you don't drink every day, you could be an alcoholic. & It's great you're getting help before you turn into an every day alcoholic!!

Good Luck!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digderidoo View Post
Soupdragon,

Just picking up on something you said about you have a friend who drinks everyday but is not alcoholic.

I have to accept that some people can and do drink more than i have and do not have a problem with it. There is a difference between a heavy drinker and an alcoholic.

Someone said to me once that when alcohol starts costing you more than money that's when you know you have a problem. This was definately the case with me.

Another thing i look at is that i cannot stop at one without wanting more. I have tried limiting myself to one or two but the rest of the night the craving takes over, all i think about is that i want another one. I have even gone without after the first one just to prove to myself that i can do it. Will power is a funny thing but it didn't stop my mind craving and wanting a drink. Controlled drinking is all about relaxing with a drink, rather than wanting to get drunk. I have friends that can do it, just have one or two then go home for a cup of tea or hot chocolate and the thought of another drink will not enter their head.

I have accepted that i am different from a social drinker and a heavy drinker. I am an alcoholic and you know what? I haven't got a problem with that because that's who i am. The decision i have is whether knowing that i am an alcoholic do i choose to pick up the first drink, because that's the one i can control.

Paul

no,he said he wasnt an alcoholic,I dont know what others around him thought.20 cans of beer everyday?I guess thats for him to figure that out
Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
SD, I have not taken your posts as criticism or are mine meant to be. I feel as if you may be reading into what others are thinking. If another at a meeting got it before I did, I considered them smarter than I. I never viewed them lesser than. I do understand where you are coming from as far as an inferior complex goes. I think many can relate to that. However, it may be your thoughts alone. It may not be that others are judging you or are sharing your same thoughts. It may exist within your own mind. I say that because I used to think I knew what others were thinking all of the time. Now I know that not to be true. Funny thing, I don't claim to be clairvoyant, but I have a very vivid imagination and it ran wild at times. I have to laugh at myself and some of my behaviors in the past.

The intent of my post was to stress the progression of the disease. I did that through my ES&H. You state you don't have the ability to drink a lot or heavily, so now I am confused. If that were true, you wouldn't be here asking questions and showing concern about your problem. I believe I get the gist of what you are saying. I think it is important to stress that others most likely aren't comparing and try not to give it anymore concern. We have walked in your shoes and understand and can relate.

In short, we are the only ones who can make the determination of whether or not we are an alcoholic. There should be no comparisons. It is our lives and the lives of our loved one that are affected. High bottom, low bottom, it could always be worse. If alcohol is interfering with your quality of life, it is a problem.

Perhaps a sponsor could help you with the feelings you are having. It helps to share and get it out on the table. I for one am glad that your drinking hasn't progressed into a larger state. It is a place you really don't want to enter into. My reason for being here is to help others from doing just that. We all are at different stages of recovery. We are still learning and growing. Best wishes!

I did drink heavily,just not everyday or every session but when I told people I thought I was an alcoholic(not AA members of course)I was told in as many words to stop being negative and dismiss the notion and "I know people who drink far more than you do".So its me who is ultimatley confused and I think I was right to ask this question.Also it was me who had the doubts,no one at AA stood up and said "fraud,you dont belong here,get out",it was completely in my own mind this notion,no-one ever made me feel I didnt belong there or had no right,it was all in my own mind.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
soupdragon wrote:
Stereotypes are just that: they attempt to fit people into a mold, a mold that doesn't really explain human individuality. There are lots of us alcoholics who have never nor ever will reach the state of living on the street. Others have unfortunately slipped into that reality. I've never had the DT's, nor have I ever been in detox, forced or voluntary. I never needed to drink everyday, but I chose to drink everyday. (I always had a choice). I never needed a drink in the morning to cure a hangover, but I practiced that method a lot because I thought it was a good idea at the time. I never lost my teeth to alcohol, (though two of my brothers have), and I pass my regular dental checkups with flying colors. I've never let alcohol compromise my personal hygiene or appearance.

I think textbook definitions of alcoholism are difficult to establish: they are generally based on studies and interviews. In other words, they are generally based on what we alcoholics choose to reveal about our drinking. That in my opinion skews any truly scientific study because so many alcoholics are ashamed of their drinking and may not be comfortable being totally honest about how much they drink. And, the other problem with decisive studies is that they must be extremely long term, spanning decades. I have yet to read about such a study that followed the lives of alcoholics closely from a clinical point of view, for decades.

Sorry for babbling here, I have digressed. Perhaps the answer to your question: "how chronic do I have to get to be called an alcoholic" can be answered by looking at yourself through the prism of time. 20 years ago, I did not drink everyday nor did I drink in the mornings. I was however, an alcoholic. Because I could not stop at one and I drank to get drunk. Alcohol is a progressive disease. I lost more control with each passing year. And time is the element that shaped that progression.

I think you are very wise for doing what you are doing, now! I look around at the young people, (well, younger than me.....), at AA meetings who maybe drank for 5 or 10 years and then stopped, and I admire them so much. I don't look at them and say: "pipsqueeks! featherweights!"
No, quite the contrary, I think they are wise, and lucky to not have had to endure, for example, a 25 year descent into insanity like I endured. I value their contributions to the meetings because they also bring young perspectives to problem solving.
The progessive illness part makes sense,I didnt or couldnt drink as much 10 years ago as I could more recently but it was every bit as much a problem and still very destructive and evident to others around me.I began hiding it more as to avoid criticism by others in later years
Old 09-01-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Only you know for certain. Personally, I wouldn't listen to those who tell you to forget the notion and to not be negative. It doesn't' matter if there are others who drink more than you. You know whether or not your drinking is causing harm or making you unhappy. You have to consider you own well being. Many people are not educated on alcoholism. Their view on the matter is to just stop. I couldn't just stop. There lies the problem....

I found that people who question my drinking really don't understand or really are questioning their own drinking. That has been my experience.

Back to your original question. Have you taken the quiz? Here is the link. Maybe this will help clear up some unanswered questions.

Am I Alcoholic?

Again, I can't stress it enough. I never used to drink daily either. I progressed into daily drinking.

Last edited by LosingmyMisery; 09-01-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

PHEW! I think I am digging myself deeper into a hole here.Ok,bottom line and my final word on this,alcohol was a problem for me,I had to stop,I have through the use of anta-abuse.Thats it.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
Only you know for certain. Personally, I wouldn't listen to those who tell you to forget the notion and to not be negative. It doesn't' matter if there are others who drink more than you. You know whether or not your drinking is causing harm or making you unhappy. You have to consider you own well being. Many people are not educated on alcoholism. Their view on the matter is to just stop. I couldn't just stop. There lies the problem....

I found that people who question my drinking really don't understand or really are questioning their own drinking. That has been my experience.

Back to your original question. Have you taken the quiz? Here is the link. Maybe this will help clear up some unanswered questions.

Am I Alcoholic?

Again, I can't stress it enough. I never used to drink daily other. I progressed into daily drinking.

Ok,my score was 27.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

That link is a great resource. I hope it can be helpful.

No matter what your score is, know that there is a way out and a solution.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

People who didn't want to have to bother with me, like my dad, my ex-husband and some former 'friends', etc., also told me I wasn't an alcoholic. If you talk to them about it, and they agree that you have a problem, then they think they may have to do something to help you. And they don't have the time or interest to do that so they say, 'heck, don't worry about it, you're fine!'. It doesn't mean a thing. Only we can know. What I understand is that if you feel you have a problem, want to quit, but are very uncomfortable when you do and are unable to keep it up for long without some help and some sort of recovery, then you are an alcoholic.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

catlovermi....Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
soupdragon wrote:

I am not thinking in stereotypes either,this thread is wearing me down abit,can we just drop it now,I am getting fed up of defending myself on here!!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I didnt criticise or say anyone criticised me and neither did I criticise AA.Please,can we drop this thread now,its doing my head in,I dont need to be told like I know nothing.I have had a drink problem for 12 years and I am as qualified and informed about things(drinking habits etc) as anyone else on here regardless of whether I attend AA or not.I just asked a simple question.Enough already.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

What is the difference between an alcoholic and a drunk?

An alcoholic goes to meetings!

Just a little humor.

As others have already said, one is an alcoholic when they say they are.

It is not how much one drinks, it is not how often one drinks, it is what happens to one when they drink that determines if they are an alcoholic or not!

Medical science breaks out alcoholism into stages, some of them define it in three stages, others in 5, but it really does not matter for an alcoholic what stage they are at when they quit, what matters is that they quit!