Notices

Sleep problems

Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep problems

Thank you to all who responded to my thread yesterday, the support really helped. I am on my way out the door to go to my Dr's appt. I am so nervous!
Does anyone know if it is safe to take a sleep aid while quitting. I know Nyclol has alcohol so thats no good, but what about an all natural one from a vitamin store?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know it stinks not being able to sleep but I recommend trying to get through it with nothing, maybe asking your doctor??? I found that once I quit drinking and after about a week I fell asleep NO PROBLEM!!!! It was awesome. The alcohol was really screwing me up. You'd think it would help you sleep? It really doesn't, at least not for me it didn't.

For me, taking something else to help one issue doesn't really help, but that's just me.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I started using a OTC sleep aid way back when (one without alcohol - pill) and I wound up abusing it and relapsed.

Since then I haven't had too much trouble sleeping, save the occaisional night here or there.

If I were having trouble, I would start with some of the non-medication/herbal suggestions that I hear all the time about. Dark room, quiet, no TV, relaxation excercises, etc.

It's also been my experience that general MD's (GP) don't know squat about drug/alcohol abuse. I wouldn't see a doctor about a sleep problem unless it was my last resort. I wouldn't be surprised that a doc would put me on something with serious abuse potential even when I would be up front with them about my abuse history.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

for me talking with a dr. has been a great help. I am on a sleep medication and it has been a great help for me. Of course I had sleep problems prior to drinking. As long as I use the perscription exactly as it is perscribed I am comfortable. The scrip is for exactly the amount i'm suppose to take, so it will be clear if I abuse it.

For alot of people the sleep problems dissapear aftter a while. Just wasn't the case for me. And without adequate sleep my life was in alot worse shape.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I think many people have sleeping difficulties in early sobriety

Please see if this information is helpful

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Hope all goes well for you at your doctors.
Yes...you too can win over alcohol...
Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had alot of problems falling asleep for 2-3 weeks when I quit. No meds for me. Its perfectly normal. Alcohol is a depressant and once that is taken away it's going to take time for your body to adjust.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Patron Saint of Hot Tubs

A previous time that I quit, I had sleeping problems also. But then it did a 180, and I could easily sleep 10+ hours. I'm not sure if that's really much of a positive change, because it seems excessive. But at least it's sleep.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say that I had good luck with Melatonin at a different time, which you can get at vitamin store. If I shouldn't say that, hopefully someone will correct me. I'm not trying to cross any lines.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Valerian extract if you can get past the smell. Relaxes the mind not the body, which is really where most sleep problems start. Skip the malatonin - gives you crazy dreams , which you probably are already experiencing right now. Valerian is great though. You can find it at whole foods and herbal stores. Completely non addictive. I think Sleep MD has that in it, which is also completely herbal. Ambien is pretty addictive but delivers a sound nights sleep every time. Depends on how bad your insomnia is. I was like Ananda for a long time but thank God it passed. If you chronically can't sleep, your doctor will help.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Might I suggest if you have not yet read the thread, A New Life, please do so. Here, members are posting their experience with ending their drinking and living free of the booze and the associated insanity. A New Life sounds like what you are searching for and this thread may help. If I can help, please email me.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hope you slept well last night. As for my dumb-azz I took Ripped Fuel before my mission last night that got cancelled an hour later. Needless to say I didn't sleep well. I hope everything is going well for you today. Take care.

Shawn
Old 08-20-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is always a good idea to see your MD for medical information. Members of SR might want to with hold personal medical advice.