Notices

Head Injury Courtesy of Ye Olde Vodka

Old 08-16-2008, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Patron Saint of Hot Tubs

Head Injury Courtesy of Ye Olde Vodka

As you see, I'm new. Hi. I recently drank too much too quickly while having a fight with a lady that I care about, and I passed out while standing up. I fell forward and hit my head on the edge of the kitchen island, and re-damaged a spot where I'd had a previous head injury.

I left the rehabilitation for the injury far earlier than I should have and went about with work and all of that. I didn't let anyone know that I was randomly fainting from the head trauma. About a month ago I wrecked my sportscar. I had a fainting spell and had also been drinking.

Now I'm getting treated for my head injury, and I'm being encouraged to stay and get treatment for drinking also. At the end of the day, I'm not sure how much say I'll have in it. Can people legally be forced into attending a treatment centre?

Well, I don't suppose there is anyone else here who is going through the combo of heavy drinking and the fallout from a serious head injury? Or how about in conjunction with any other life-impacting ailment? I have no expectations of medical advice, only the sort of calmness (for lack of a better word) that comes from listening to others who are in a boat not so different from your own afterall.

Either way, I'll talk to anyone. I'm a wee bit on the overwhelmed side and I like reading all of the posts.

Thanks much.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thane,

Welcome! You'll find a warm and supportive mob here. It's been very good for me.

Don't be afraid of rehab. Sounds like you have a health issues that shouldn't be neglected. I hope you are feeling better soon. Recovery is a good thing!

Lenina
Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi there,
I do not have any experience with head injury but I did break some bones in my drinking career. My opinion? I think you should stay and see what they are willing to offer you. Who is to say whether you will get another chance? Maybe the next time, you will not be so lucky as to be able to ask for help. Consider it a blessing that they are offering it. What could it hurt? Doesn't seem your way is working out too well.

Have you ever read any recovery books? I prefer AA, so I would recommend the Big Book. You have the time while you are laying there anyway, right? I will praying for you and we are to talk or hear you anytime.

Welcome!!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR

Yes, there are people who have had similar experiences to yours. I am one. The last drunk I had I fell backwards walking down a friends driveway and landed on the back of my head. I actually felt like I was dying. It was a terrifying experience. When I was finally able to get up I wound up making it across the street only to fall face first up my concrete steps. Of course I was too drunk to break my fall with anything but my face.

I wound up with a concussion to both the front and back of my brain. I too went on to work trying to pretend like all was well. I told everyone I tripped on the cat.....I doubt anyone truly believed that story as I am sure the alcohol was still coming out of my pores.

I spent the next 3 years with dizzy spells, fainting spells, extreme headaches, balance and coordination problems, and learning issues. Today I still struggle with the changes that occurred in my brain as far as how I think and how I learn and how I remember things or should I say don't remember things.

That incident truly scared the heck out of me. As a medical professional I realize that the bleeding in my brain from the concussions could easily have killed me or left me in a coma or vegetative state. Fortunately i found sobriety not long after that and only drank minimal amounts until then.

So I guess what I am trying to say is you are not alone.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

While at a huge Christmas party....I became the star attraction.
All dressed in flowing white....platinum blond hair shining ...standing
up to get another drink

I fell straight backwards into a metal radiator ..then slid into
the Christmas tree ...knocking it over.
Blood streaming from my head wound...the back of my
dress quickly red ...I insisted I was ok and sat down
only to faint in a heap. Hit my face on a coffee
table...causing a nose bleed and split lip.

My date revived me...wrapped a towel around my head
At the ER they chopped a space in my hair for
16 stiches I had broken my nose ..had a mild
concussion.

As I worked in a restaurant...I had to buy a wig
to cover up the nasty mess of stiches
and as I am naturally a brunette....this continued
while the dark roots grew out... mixing with the white.
My beautician wisely refused to touch my head until I healed.

I was lucky...no problems other than a scar.
Did I quit drinking then?
... Nope but I quit being blond.

Good to see you are getting proper care
I too suggest you take whatever help you can find
to enjoy a new sober healthy life.

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum....
Old 08-16-2008, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Thane

Many a tumble and head whack due to the grog but no lasting impairment I think...
Many a tumble and head whack due to the grog but no lasting impairment I think...

Just joshing.

Welcome to SR. I'd stay where I am for now mate.
D
Old 08-16-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Many of us here have had to deal with a head trauma. You are in the right place.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Can people legally be forced into attending a treatment centre?"

Yes, they can.

In my case it was the next step, but fortunately I overcame my blatant stupidity and I realized (reluctantly ) I was killing myself.

I'm not sure about the laws where you live, but if people (like me) here are too stupid to help themselves they are often forced to get help, as if they were ********.

No offense... I was there, I'm referring to ME.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I fell into a bathroom (I think) and got stuck between the wall and the toliet. I bit through my bottom lip. The story I had to make up for that was quite interesting. It was still another month and several unknown bruises till I stopped and another week till I got sober. I still have a scar on the inside of my mouth....so WELCOME to our little group!!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There was a young man in my home town who died this summer from drinking and falling. He'd fallen off of a deck, got up, resumed drinking for another hour, not knowing he had a concussion...passed out....slipped into a coma..never woke up. His parents had to pull the plug 12 days later. He was only 28.

Our disease is horrible.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

wow, this thread is scary.

Let's see, this year alone, I have broken a couple of ribs; fallen into the bathtub and knocked the ceramic soap dish off of the wall with my head (I assume, don't actually remember it happening); and this week, slipped and fell down the stairs severely bruising my hip, knee, and elbow.

drinking is fun :P
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Carol... doh!

The first time I ever drank, I passed out on a set of cement steps and fell over, scratching my whole face up. Last year, 22 years later, I tried to get up off the toilet too fast because I thought I heard a guys voice talking to my girl and I faceplanted onto the tile floor nose first. Blood and a split nose... too drunk to go to hospital, so just have a nice scar. Jumped over a fence once and twisted my ankle. Hand through glass on accident and 7 stitches. on and on.

I think the point is that you are not alone in the stupidity of drinking, so don't feel alone. Just get better. The first time I quit drinking for 10 days, I kneeled on a pullout bed and the spring broke and smashed my eyebrow on a corner and bled all night... sober. It happens, it just happens more when we are out of it.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Patron Saint of Hot Tubs

I'd like to respond to everyone individually but I'm not feeling especially well at the moment. But thank you for the posts. Head injuries abound in this forum afterall, eh.

TTOSBT, I haven't read any recovery books. I don't know much about it. And I still don't know if I'll have a choice in leaving or not. It's not that staying seems so horrible, I only resent having the decision taken away from me. No one seems to trust my judgement.

One thing I can say from looking at the other posts is that I assumed this would be easier if I hadn't been forced into dealing with two issues at once. Truth being that it would be nice to drink while I'm healing from this head injury. But obviously a lot of people here have had to deal with many additional issues at the same time as not drinking. I oversimplified vastly, I guess.

Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Thane,
I wish you the very best in your recovery. :ghug
We are here to listen and offer hope.
If you are able to read right now, I would suggest asking for a copy of the Big Book of AA and do a little research
Old 08-18-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mjs

There was a story in the Washington Post about 6 months ago about people who suffered head injuries suddenly losing their compulsion to drink/drug/smoke...I asked my doctor if she had heard anything about this and she said yes in fact she had...she said she also suspected that having a head injury when young could predispose one to addiction.I then asked her if they still had those little reflex hammers and she said do not even think about it and you better hope your wife doesn't read that article...
Old 08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've had many minor injuries while drinking. My mom and I were completely blasted one night trying to get the pull out sofa out and she didn't realize my thumb was caught and kept yanking on the bed until my thumb almost broke off. I was laughing so hard she couldn't figure out that she was actually hurting me. Communication while drinking that heavily is next to impossible. Lots running into walls & doors (damn things keep moving around the house), sliding on the kitchen and bathroom floors (who put butter on the floors again?), lots of bruises, a few twisted ankles (I always blamed that on my high heels), cracked my head on a coffee table once (hilarious at the time) and really hurt my neck "playing" with my boyfriend while intoxicated.

I'm with you fugfunny. Look at all the fun we're missing out on now!!! Sheesh, makes me want to drink. Good times. Thanks for this post.

Also, there was a story about a college student who got seperated from his friends while extremely intoxicated, fell of a 3 story parking lot and broke his back. This really can be deadly, all joking aside.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah, I had a seizure while NOT drinking from stopping drinking and fell into the glass/mirrored closet doors. Chewed the hell out of my tongue and busted the side of my head open. I've also broke my foot, ribs and ankle all at different times in my drinking career. If I had a dollar for every bruise I ever had on my body I probably could have afforded a really nice treatment center but I didn't so I opted for one that helped me financially.

I now no longer suffer from any kind of brain or head trauma and I don't have any bruises. I actually tried to get "Marchman Acted" (family and friends can petition a court to have you admitted into treatment here in the state of Florida) here in Florida because I had such a hard time finding a place to go. If you're court ordered, you're going!!

You may find that if you end up in a facility that once the "fog" clears you'll be grateful that you're there. Good luck with everything and I hope that you seriously didn't permanently injure your noggin.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Patron Saint of Hot Tubs

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
Welcome to SR

Yes, there are people who have had similar experiences to yours. I am one. The last drunk I had I fell backwards walking down a friends driveway and landed on the back of my head. I actually felt like I was dying. It was a terrifying experience. When I was finally able to get up I wound up making it across the street only to fall face first up my concrete steps. Of course I was too drunk to break my fall with anything but my face.

I wound up with a concussion to both the front and back of my brain. I too went on to work trying to pretend like all was well. I told everyone I tripped on the cat.....I doubt anyone truly believed that story as I am sure the alcohol was still coming out of my pores.

I spent the next 3 years with dizzy spells, fainting spells, extreme headaches, balance and coordination problems, and learning issues. Today I still struggle with the changes that occurred in my brain as far as how I think and how I learn and how I remember things or should I say don't remember things.

That incident truly scared the heck out of me. As a medical professional I realize that the bleeding in my brain from the concussions could easily have killed me or left me in a coma or vegetative state. Fortunately i found sobriety not long after that and only drank minimal amounts until then.

So I guess what I am trying to say is you are not alone.
Are you still having any symptoms of the head trauma, or did they disappear after the aforementioned three years?

I was told that alcohol worsens all of the symptoms of a head injury. I don't know if it's true, but anything is possible.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Patron Saint of Hot Tubs

Originally Posted by beingjenagain View Post
I fell into a bathroom (I think) and got stuck between the wall and the toliet. I bit through my bottom lip. The story I had to make up for that was quite interesting. It was still another month and several unknown bruises till I stopped and another week till I got sober. I still have a scar on the inside of my mouth....so WELCOME to our little group!!
What story did you come up with? That must have taken some creative genius.

I'm not sure how appropriate it is, but I do have some mildly amusing injuries which, in retrospect, I can probably attribute to drinking:

I passed out outdoors -- in nothing but my boxers -- and stayed that way until 2pm, when I awoke with the worst sunburn of life. The itching was horrible, and I had a funeral to attend, so I took a stupid amount of Benadryl (which I heard would help) with alcohol. The result was disaster; I fell over a tombstone in the middle of the bloody service and still haven't quite been forgiven for that.

While playing a drinking game in which you smash the wine glass against your forehead every time you down the wine, I did it far too many times and smashed it straight into my face, breaking my nose and badly cutting up my face.

Another nose disaster: I was invited to a posh opening of a new portion of an art museum. They served free wine, so I partook. I got very critical and disdainful of everyone and everything around me. A bloke confronted me about it, and I made the practical decision to headbutt him. But I was completely off, and instead hit my nose against his forehead. I broke my own nose and left the event with linen napkins pressed to my face and blood down the front of my very expensive suit. My girlfriend dumped me within an hour of that.

Well, I don't know. Laughing about it makes me feel a bit better, I suppose.

Thanks for the well wishes and welcomes.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Might I suggest if you have not yet read the thread, A New Life, please do so. Here, members are posting their experience with ending their drinking and living free of the booze and the associated insanity. A New Life sounds like what you are searching for and this thread may help. If I can help, please email me.

Thanks,

Ron