Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

No major life changes for a year? Your experience...

Notices

No major life changes for a year? Your experience...

Old 08-22-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would love to freeze the next year and assure no major life changes. I just can't imagine life being that way, though. I will be moving several times due to my school/SO's new job. I'll graduate and start working in a profession with life-or-death responsibility. And I'm getting married I've got to say though... It looks more achievable with a clear mind and without having to try to juggle everything around drinking.
Just gotta find a better stress management tool than getting trashed. And my stress level comes at least as much from internal anxiety that does not seem to come from external stressors... There's no running away from it anymore.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Cool

Many alcoholics tend to make things 'bigger' than they are....lots of DRAMA....lol

"Don't make any major changes in early recovery," is how I first heard it (not a specific 'first year' but ALL of EARLY recovery (however long that may be...lol).

The way I prefer to see this is....."Don't make any changes, major, in early recovery." In other words, don't make mountains outta molehills.... (o:

NoelleR
Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Yeah I changed everything too then at a year drank again BUT I don't think I drank cause of the changes, I drank cause I am an alcoholic and an AA member who'd stop doing what I needed to do.

Then I changed everything in my 2nd 1st year too, but never drunk and have been sober every since.

Something that has been constant through out my soberity (10 years) is I have long periods where nothing changes then I go through a phase of everything changing.

I think they call this LIFE.

:ghug2
Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hell, just getting sober is about a major life change as an alkie can make.

Forget about all that other stuff you hear in the fellowship about making changes. The changes were happening faster than I could make them myself. The trouble starts when I resist change, not make change.
Jim
Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
Could you imagine the resentments that you would have if you had passed on a major opportunity because of something someone said.
I did have an opportunity to get into a amazing relationship early in recovery. I didn't want to let it pass buy. Blowing multiple opportunity's as a drinker normally resulted in more resentful self loathing. So I went for it and it has added so much joy and inspiration into my life. By being able to give fully of myself to my partner I am learning selflessness. Also having a sober partner has helped both of us remain sober during extremely difficult times.