Notices

fat

Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fat

jesus christ but i have put on some weight, 1 stone to be excact in 9 weeks it will be 9 months before i get it off,did any one else put on weigh, i look like a beached whale now.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

between drinking beer and all the fast-food i eat to "cure" my hangover i have definately put on pounds. i'm right there with you
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I gained tons when I was drinking but I have lost 21 pounds since I quit drinking and joined the gym.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

I was always extremely athletic, but when the booze took a hold for good, I put on probably 45 pounds over 3 years. It was weird; I was still strong, but I had this big tire on my gut.

I've shed 35 of that in the last 5 months of sobriety. Fitness is a big part of my recovery.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

20 pounds of beer I have to lose.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ever closer...

By the scale I have gained about 10lbs in 4 months of sobriety but everyone asks if I am losing weight. The difference is the lost puffy face, bloated belly and general crapping looking self. I am not worried at this point about the weight. I know it will all balance out and I know that I look better and healthier. My sobriety is the most important thing to me right now. I know that I need to snack and wil snack so I am trying to get healthy snacks like granola, nuts, edemande, dark chocolate and the like.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I hit my 6 month of soberiety I lost 20 pounds. I drank a case + of beer a day. I don't know about other types of alcohol, but I know when my body stopped the intake of beer, my carb and calorie intake was cut dramatically.

This is a stat that I was told so I'm not sure it's accurate...

An average can of regular beer is around 400 calories.

An average can of light beer is around 200 calories.

So if you drink a case of regular beer a day that's 400 X 24 = 9600 calories.

Now add that 9600 calories to the calories of your food intake.

If you eliminate the 9600 calories out of your diet, plus watch your food intake, even without exercising the pounds should drop off.

Of course you have to also factor in two things...

A) Every ones metabolism is different.
B) I am getting my information from unreliable sources...lol.

Tom
Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

Originally Posted by JPat View Post
between drinking beer and all the fast-food i eat to "cure" my hangover i have definately put on pounds. i'm right there with you
Ain't that the flippin truth!!! Except for me it was liquor. Liquor & junk food.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I put on weight when using for whatever reason. Maybe I was just so worried about my problem that I didn't even think about what I was eating, and didn't bother to get to the gym. I've been taking it easy in early recovery. I'm eating better and I look much, much better, everyone says, but I'm not skinny.

People in my home group tell me not to worry about going on a real strict diet the first few months. I've been too sick to diet this past month anyway. They want me to just not pick up, work my first 4 steps, and find a sponsor. I excercise in moderation, and eat what tastes good and is healthy. No Jenny Craig for a while, I'm told. Was anyone else advised not to make any drastic dietary changes in early recovery?
KJ
Old 08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would suggest speaking with a dr is a good idea. I had to be careful about diet changes...make good changes right away and stop bad choices. But as a compliction of my alchoholism I have diabeites and and pancreatitis. So sometimes a big change is necessary.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think this was the biggest lie I told myself over the last year. I was trying to lose weight for my sister's wedding. Was working out 4x a week, watching my diet, and hmmm, couldn't understand why it wasn't coming off. Amazingly I neglected to add up the calories of alcohol I was drinking every week. I was drinking 2000 calories a week, if not more, completely countering all the hard work I was doing.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Talk to your doctor about follwing an eating plan for hypoglycemia.

Begin a daily walk too.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

gained 25 lbs the first 6 months
they said ,"thats ok,they won`t arrest me for fat driving"
Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have 30 pounds of "drinking" weight and 10 pounds of "recovery" weight to lose.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was a skinny little thing in my 20's but gained about 35 lbs in 7 years of marriage and beer drinking. I still haven't taken it all off, just five or six pounds or so. It's pretty frusterating. I ride my bike a lot more and walk a lot but due to the absence of drinking, I get very strong cravings for sugar which I indulge more often than I should. I still eat a lot of junk which is probably why the weight hasn't come off faster. But I FEEL better, and I love riding my bike. Sure would like to lose 30 pounds though.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Here are two photos of me

Before:

After-ish:

Total of 30kgs (66lbs) put on in about 2 years. The "after" photo was taken after I lost about 7kgs I think (about 14lbs or so) and I was sucking my guts in lol.

My problem - drinking all the calories, then being drunk and "starving" and eating everything I can see, then the next morning eating greasy food to "soak up the alcohol" then doing that over and over.

I'm on day 5 at the moment - and have lost 1.5kgs already (about 3lbs).

I want to lose my weight, but I'm also not really that upset about it. I found that men treat me totally differently. I had a guy come into my work the other day - I was sitting at my desk (it's a reception desk) behind the computer. A friend of mine (skinner) was standing on the other side of the desk. The guy walked it, looked at me, then turned to my friend and starting asking her for help (hello? I am the one who works here!) Jerk. But on the other hand I don't get wandering hands when I'm in crowds anymore.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Put on weight after I stopped. Suddenly, I wasn't too hung over to eat!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Everyday I am drawn to reading this post and it gets me madder and madder about our horribly addictive personalities! If is isn't drinking it has to be something else. I have battled my weight all my life but refuse to obsess about it during my early recovery. I have to focus on my insides ansd not my outsides! I just try to make good choices and just HALT (don't be Hungry Angry Lonley Tired)
Don't worry about a little weight, we have starved and deprived our bodies for too long with alcohol!
Old 08-09-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ForeverDecember, I am in the same shoes as you! (Except I gained only about 30 pounds during drinking). I would get the drunk munchies every night and eat everything in the house, then pass out. No wonder I put on the weight so quickly.

I wish it would come off as quickly as I put it on! Ha.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

ok check it
i got put on ZOLOFT (which i guess makes you gain a ton of weight) and thats also when i started drinking a lot (more weight). I went from 130 to 180. thats 50 lbs!

i was gonna show you a side by side but im not allowed to post images yet- aw

im on day 4 of detox and im down to 165. I WILL GET MY BODY BACK! hahah