Notices

first time

Old 07-22-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy first time

I asked a question yesterday about a sponsor and got great advise thank u all for that,found meeting to go to ,goning today, fingers crossed big step 4 me 2day.very nervous about.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nochance View Post
I asked a question yesterday about a sponsor and got great advise thank u all for that,found meeting to go to ,goning today, fingers crossed big step 4 me 2day.very nervous about.
Great for you NoChance. I'm planning on going to my first meeting next week too. Been avoiding them thinking they are uber-christians. Sort of like that little lamicil monster just waiting to chew on my toes. Mind posting here and letting me know what you thought of your first meeting?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thats really good nochance

i hope it works for you

good luck for your meeting today

becca
x
Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i will 4 sure austingemini i can honestly tell u i am not lookin forward to it, but i know now i cant do it on my own.thanks again austingemini.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

nochance before you walk through those doors I want you to realize that every single person in that room has taken that leap of faith you are about to take.

Just like you they were scared, what were they going to find on the other side of those doors? Crazed Christians pinning them to the floor, demanding that they convert and be saved? Broken down old men living a miserable existance? A bunch of losers? People who will judge you to be a loser because you had to come to AA?

Every single fear you have of walking through those doors that first time, I had and they had.

When I went to my first meeting I thought I was in the wrong place, people were talking, smiling, laughing, joking with each other!!!! There were a few people having a serious conversation, but for the most part these folks looked like anyone else you might see at the grocery store.

One odd thing you will see is men hugging men, you will see a comraderieship among them..... why? Well you see every one of them have been in your shoes, they have known the hell of alcoholism and they have found a common solution, part of that solution is the Fellowship of AA. That feeling of no longer being alone in fighting the beast!!! Here is a room full of people who together have battled the beast and won, for today they have won, and they would love nothing more then to share with you how they have done it.

Look I could write volumes on what I have found in the rooms, but rather then do that, just go to that meeting with no preconcieved ideas and with an open mind and heart, grab a cup of coffee, sit down and just listen, if you wish to introduce your self when asked do so, if you don't then just sit and listen....... listen not for the differences, we are all different, but instead listen for that, that you can relate to.

I promise you that no one will bite you or make you do anything, if some one ask you to read and you would rather not just say "No thanks, this is my first meeting". They will understand.

The hardest thing I have ever done in my life was to go to detox and walk through those doors of AA........ It was also the best thing I ever did in my life!

Just to prepare you, if for some reason you do not like the meeting, please try several others.

AA meetings are just like people, every meeting is different with a different personality, there are meetings I do not go to because I do not like them, but others do.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Come back and tell us what you experienced.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NoChance,

You WILL NOT regret it. It is the single best thing I have ever done in my life.

John
Old 07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One thing I was surprised about was how many laughs I had at the meetings I went to the last time I quit! There's a great sense of humour in a room full of alcoholics!

Also...I bawled for many of the first meetings. And I wasn't alone in it!

Good luck!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm also going to go to my first meeting, but not until Monday night.
Yes, I'm nervous, but I really need the support.

I really hope I DO like this particular group, since it's SO convienient for me..right across the street.
I'm going to have my 16 old son sit for his 8 yr old sister, and I'm already worried what to tell them about where I'm going. Just going to say it's a support group for adults (true...I should probably be more honest, but at this point, not ready to, not feeling strong enough yet, and yes, am so ashamed)

I also worry about running into someone I know, seeing as it so close to home, but I guess if THEY'RE there, no biggie.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What I've learned...

If you don't like your first AA meeting or two...please call your local hotline. Explain plainly to whomever answers what your situation is. If you want an all women's meeting, if you want an under 40 meeting, if you want newcomer's...whatever...just tell them. They will get you to the right meeting. BTW, I just broke down and said I just wanted a new meeting when I called. He actually asked me questions about my lifestyle and drinking habits. God bless anyone who answers the AA phone, I will volunteer to do so when I hit the steps.

They sent me in the right direction and I found a community that I want to go to every night.