Notices

Freedom

Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Freedom

Hello All,

Freedom was the topic at my Home Group Sunday as in what does the word Freedom mean to you as it relates to A.A. and/or your recovery?

The wide range of answers was inspiring so I thought I'd see what you all could do!

I'll start by saying I learned FREEDOM from self through service to others, it has brought me great joy!

Hope this takes off, it sure did at my meeting!

John

Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Freedom to be who I've been meant to be all along. Freedom to rely on my HP and the freedom to define HP as I see it. Freedom from past hurts. Freedom to forgive. Freedom to get in the car at any time and drive anywhere I want. Freedom from worries.

Thanks for a good topic!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Through sobriety, I've found freedom from the burden of alcoholism. I'm free from the chains that bound me and free from the misery it created. My soul has been freed and the light has been allowed in. Freedom means so much more once you've known what it is like to be enslaved by the disease. I will always be an alcoholic, but I will never be bound again as long as I stay away from that first drink.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
Through sobriety, I've found freedom from the burden of alcoholism. I'm free from the chains that bound me and free from the misery it created. My soul has been freed and the light has been allowed in. Freedom means so much more once you've known what it is like to be enslaved by the disease. I will always be an alcoholic, but I will never be bound again as long as I stay away from that first drink.
That about says it all for me too, yup.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Fab topic

For me the freedom I have found in recovery always seems to come down to the freedom from self, as in freedom from self obsession. I.e. what do others think of me. what do I think of me. when will this happen to me. why is this happening to me. why did that person talk that way to me. The me list goes on and on! I feel at my best when I have none of this stuff going on.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yep...freedom from self...i am no longer tied to who i think i am and am allowed to change and reform from moment to moment just as all things in life do!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, there are many facets to the FREEDOM one receives from recovery of alcoholism and/or drug addiction.

The biggest one for me as already been mentioned above is the Freedom from the ISM, the "I, Self, Me".

I have the Freedom today to be RESPONSIBLE for me, for my actions and reactions, and I have the Freedom to make amends immediately when I screw up. I am not perfect, but I have the Freedom to actually LIVE today. To make choices, to work with others, to be of service to others.

I have the Freedom to actually have FUN today. I have Freedom from the control that King Alcohol had over me. I have the Freedom to have 'real' friends today.

I have the Freedom to have a life today with no chains holding me down, be those chains real or in my mind.

Freedom is a great gift of my recovery!!!

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Great topic, John!

I can relate to what everyone has saiD anD I am so grateful (excuse my keyboarD lol! ) that I can anD that all these gifts have been maDe available to me.

ToDay freeDom means : the removal of the mental obsession (this time it will be Different) anD any Desire to Drink whatsoever. Furthermore, I feel free from fear (GoD's on it) anD anguish over past hurts - that I causeD or was on the receiving enD of. I can relax anD take it easy anD embrace whatever comes my way knowing that GoD has a plan for my life, anD knowing my part in it - trust GoD, Clean House, Help Others.

Through GoD's grace, I am free. I am so grateful.

Cathy31
x
Old 07-08-2008, 01:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

freedom from the bottle and the bondage of self and freedom to...live today!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Great topic and replies!

For me I find the greatest freedoms to be freedom from the bondage of alcohol and self. Being a part of the world instead of on the outside looking in is awesome!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm free to live in the joy of Gods Grace.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I make my decisions now based on honest choices, not alcoholic needs... each day is mine to live.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi,

Thought I'd add one to keep the thread going, I enjoy the freedom of driving around at night without worrying if I get pulled over by the Police or hit a sobriety checkpoint! I enjoy freedom from the constant effort it used to take to conceal my drinking... sneaking beer in the house, taking the garbage out at 1 in the morning so no one can see how many empties there are, etc.

John

Last edited by 22NGONE; 07-08-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The US Declaration of Independence sums freedom up nicely "We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."
Freedom can only be taken or given away. I gave away some of my freedom when I chose to drink, if I do not choose to drink today I can keep some of my freedom. I can also go back to being a slave to alcohol anytime I want.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
where the light is

Alcohol is no longer my Higher Power.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

MMMM....

Well I like the interplay between freedom and destiny in my life today. I think there are higher freedoms and lower freedoms. My phsical freedom can be removed and i can still be free. I can have no physical bonds and yet not be free.

And sometimes it is in the surrendering of a lower freedom that i find the higher freedom

sorry...feeling pretty good today, but on the phylisophical side...it works for me:ghug2
Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ah yes let me guess, the topic was inspired from the book One Day At A Time?

Good page in that book.

Tom
Old 07-09-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Freedom from a slow, steady, unnecessary, and certain death~

Liberty~