# 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Wondering

Could any answer these questions for me

When detoxing do you get symptons in the first few days:

Headaches

Can't sleep

etc

I am wondering if this is normal and when will my body feel normal again?

The funny thing is, is that I don't remember what feeling normal is

Does that make sense
Old 07-08-2003, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Teach...

Welcome!

I suggest anyone who plans to quit drinking do so with a doctors help.
Doing de tox alone is scarey and sometimes dangerous.

Your de tox might be totally different than mine. But...

For me...aches..sweats...shakes...vomiting..swings in blood pressure...heart palpations..a convulsion....blurred vision...
All done on day 4.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Lightbulb Detox

I experienced headaches and insomnia during my detox. I didn't sleep for 3 days straight. I also had every other symptom under the sun (even in sedation) including high BP, palpatations, sweating, vomiting, not knowing where I was, severe agatation, and really scary hallucinations; hearing voices that weren't there, seeing imaginary bugs crawling everywhere around me. It was terrifying.

SO, I would suggest getting under a doctors care also. My doctor told me that alcohol detox is the most dangerous kind because of the risk of DT's, siezures and malnutrition. I experienced DT's and I know I wouldn't have wanted to go through that without being in hospital somewhere under some valium - so you might want to call your family doctor just to be safe.

PianoGirl
"Hitch your wagon to a star".
Old 07-09-2003, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Detoxing from alcohol can be very unpleasant and sometimes dangerous.

Consulting a physician and sharing honestly with them about your drinking history is recommended.

Some people may require professional detox so checking in with a doctor is usually the best course of action.

I experienced.Headaches,nausea vomiting,abdominal cramps,sleeplessness,restlessness,the shakes and anxiety attacks,muscular pain and depression......among other things.....I would not reccomend self detoxing for someone with a long history of drinking.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I like cake

Re: Detox

Originally posted by PianoGirl
I experienced headaches and insomnia during my detox. I didn't sleep for 3 days straight. I also had every other symptom under the sun (even in sedation) including high BP, palpatations, sweating, vomiting, not knowing where I was, severe agatation, and really scary hallucinations; hearing voices that weren't there, seeing imaginary bugs crawling everywhere around me. It was terrifying.
Ditto. Hell on wheels.

SO, I would suggest getting under a doctors care also. My doctor told me that alcohol detox is the most dangerous kind because of the risk of DT's, siezures and malnutrition. I experienced DT's and I know I wouldn't have wanted to go through that without being in hospital somewhere under some valium - so you might want to call your family doctor just to be safe.
Yes.... even if you can tolerate the withdrawal, don't underestimate how dangerous it can be. I had seizures when I was unable to get tranquillisers... so when I did my last detox, in rehab, on Librium, I was also given anti-seizure meds. Once you've had one, you're at increased risk again because it messes with the brain electricity (or something). Oh, and I thought I was OK the day I had my first seizure. It was day 3 of my detox, which I did with no medical help - because my doctor wouldn't help - and the worst of the other symptoms was over. It was totally out of the blue.

In my experience, whether on meds or not (and how much they help with the pain depends on your tolerance) the worst is over by day 4. And that's when you need all your determination not to drink again, now you're feeling OK.

Stay safe...

Nic
x
Old 07-09-2003, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Consult your physician before detoxing from alcohol, withdrawls can be very dangerous and in some cases fatal.

You are lucky if you are only experiencing insomnia and headache, those were probably two of my most tolerated symptoms.