Notices

Been a long time

Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Been a long time

since I have felt this anxious. I don't know how to explain this without sounding a bit nuts, but it's less of a mental anxiety and more of a physical anxiety.

I've been feeling this way ever since Sunday and the "here, have some merlot Kar" comment from my Dad. Needless to say, it wasn't a pleasant day. There's some stresses going on around here, nothing that can't be worked out and nothing really really bad happened so I'm wondering why this feeling won't go away. I'm using my tools and it's still there.

Any ideas? I'd head to the doc but health benefits don't kick in till August and the mortgage is due this week so no extra cash..
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I got that about a year and a half ago, Karen. Just out of nowhere, I noticed my breathing was off and I had a constant, low-level humming going on in my head. Classic pre-panic for me. If you've recognized it, you can do something about it.

First, you have your tools. Pray - meditate - relax. Repeat as necessary. I learned some creative visualization exercises that helped me. Bottom line, I had to recognize it as a physiological reaction to something in my environment (or my thoughts about something in my environment - internal or external), and after I eliminated or altered all I could, I had to learn to deal with what was left. Mine happened at the beginning of a very busy school semester. Yours is coming after your dad offered you a drink. That may or may not have something to do with it, but even if it does, can you unring the bell?

Surrender time, sweetie.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-24-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm only three days sober (this time) but my anxiety is unbearable. Maybe having to do with dire financial straits like being unemployed and having no money for anything. I've always had a problem with anxiety but it's worse lately due to concrete 'real' reasons.

I do know that drinking will only make it worse tho... and I can't stand to make it any worse than it is right now.:praying
Old 06-24-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sugah said it all, surrender, pray, meditate....... I know this is the last thing you want to hear, but it does hold true.......... "This to shall pass!" Be patient, you have come so far, reaching out and sharing also help.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ditto Sugah!

To be aware of the feeling is the first part of it changing... and knowing which parts of it you can change, and which you must accept and surrender to.

I heard an oldtimer in a mtg the other nihgt say that we have alcoholic nervous systems, always will. For me, this was helpful to accepting my nervous system's sensitivities.

Calming thoughts going out to you!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all..I always know this is the right place. Maybe just by saying it, it helped, because I feel better today.

Can't be serene all the darn time right?!!

Honestly, my diet has sucked. I'm going to make sure I eat and eat the right things. I'm sure that was part of it..

Thank you!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you had another day of victory
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
getting there

Oh, I can completely sympathize. I had the same thing happen out of nowhere about six weeks ago when I got thrown off by something too. It continued as the constant anxiety for awhile, then morphed into an inexplicable depression. I've never had this happen to me before. I started pursuing counseling, and the best practical tips I've gotten so far are 1) eat well (and enough), as you've said, 2) get a little bit of good cardio every day (one doc told me this is the most important thing because it "burns off" the anxiety), 3) take a b-vitamin supplement and fish oil because both help restore the brain and mental health, and 4) be sure to get enough quality sleep. These are helping me a lot so far.

Hope you keep feeling better! Thanks for posting, it helps to know I'm not the only one going through this.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I suffered from acute anxiety for a LONG time. It made life living hell.

I was hospitalized for it, counseled for it, given therapy, prescribed drugs, etc.

Then I discovered the 12 Step program, it has done more for my anxiety than all other things combined.

Maybe look into doing the 12 steps. It worked wonders for me.

Best wishes..!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have suffered from anxiety for many, many years so I sympathise. I was having full blown panic attacks for years before anyone diagnosed it. Have you learned any anxiety management techniques? Breathing is very important. When we are anxious, we breathe quickly and shallowly, which makes us breathe even more quickly. The more breaths you take per minute, the more likely you are to be anxious or to have a panic attack.

About 12 breaths per minute is a good level. When I was panicky, my breaths were around 20+ per minute.

So maybe count your breaths for a minute and see where you're at.

What you do is make sure you are breathing down into the diaphragm. It can help to lie on the floor and put your hands on your abdomen so you can feel the air entering and exiting.

Take a breath in for a count of 4. Hold it for a count of 4. Breathe out for a count of 4. Hold for a count of 4. Repeat for a few minutes.

If you can't do 4 breaths to start with (I couldn't), try 3.

Just learning that technique has made a big difference to me. I also took anti-anxiety meds for a few years as well.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tommy,

I'm a proud member of AA..working Step 9 as we speak!

Imagine how crazy I'd be without it!!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have also suffered anxiety and panic attacks. They only go away when I turn them over to my Higher Power.

Tom