Notices

Progress

Old 06-21-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Progress

After years of heavy drinking I have been given the gift of 148 days without a drink, but thats not the good news.

Yesterday my youngest son took me to dinner for Fathers Day (first time any of my boys have done that).

This morning my oldest son gave me a ride to work (we have only spoken a few times in the last year)

Once again I am gratefully humbled. Thank you for keeping me sober.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

That's a pefect reward for your new behavior.

Good job.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Dean. Well done.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Awww...how special for you...:hug;

Way to go on your sober time Dean
Old 06-21-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

You’re a good man. It’s a real privilege to be on this road with you.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Sounds great--Deany!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations Dean. They must have been very special moments. I like your Pema Chodron quote.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Thank you for your kind responses.

I have another son who offered me a part time job in the evenings to supplement my day job last Wednesday. He wouldn't have asked me that 5 months ago. I don't know for sure what he is seeing that would cause him to want me to work with him and his co-workers. I haven't said anything to him or anyone about my sobriety. I figured no one would trust me to stay sober until I had been clean for at least a year if not more so what is the point in talking about it? Instead of trying to impress people I have put as much energy as I can on my new found spiritual way of life asking only to be an instrument of peace. Surrendering to God everything that I am.

I have a co-worker who told me he was an addict so we started going to meetings together because he has a valid drivers license. I lost mine for 3 years after getting my 8th DUI. It was one year ago today June 25th 2007 I was on day three of a very bad detox when I went to court and the judge gave me 6 months in jail. I was so grateful to finally have something that could keep me from drinking. I got out of jail after 4 months with good time (I have never been grateful for overcrowded jails before) got a job, got paid, got drunk. Back to my co-worker. Saturday he asked me to be his sponsor......I only have 5 months of sobriety (today is 5 months btw) and I haven't worked the steps, I can't be his sponsor. If I could tell him how to stay clean I would, if I knew what to do for people who are still active in this nightmare disease then everyone would be clean and sober. It's not up to me.

I do want to help people and I love my new friend. He is a good person and deserves to be free. I called my sponsor so he could tell me I wasn't ready to be a sponsor and he told me when I was ready to do the steps he is there for me and he hopes more people ask me to be their sponsors. Funny guy.

My point is I was asked to be a sponsor this week and my boys are acting funny and my wife went out of town over the weekend and had a peaceful time knowing I wasn't drunk the whole time (I didn't mention that one did I).

That's progress for me.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Dean,

They see you are changing..your humility is evident.

Thank you for this great share!

PS: Start the steps.

Big hug,

Karen
Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
[QUOTE=Dean62;1811163]Yesterday my youngest son took me to dinner for Fathers Day (first time any of my boys have done that).
[QUOTE]

This was a great post to read Dean! My kids gave me some shirts and a hat to wear when I'm riding my motorcycle. Then 9 days on vacation together. How good it feels to be a clean and sober father!

Thanks for sharing, and for your inspiration. It's an honor to walk the path of recovery with all the fathers on SR!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It sounds like your life is really changing Dean. I hope that i can follow in your footsteps. I am realising how small my life has gotten with alcohol. There is such a small window of time when I am not sick, tired, getting drunk, drunk or passed out. Eww! I really want to change that. Reading stories like yours helps me keep on track.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Dean that is awesome, I have experienced what you speak of with my wife and kids as well, as in the promises it says for some it comes quickly, for others slowly, but it will come to all that work for it.

Thank you Dean for bringing back some excellent memories, there are more to come, keep doing what you are doing! Your friend asking you to be his sponsor says a lot for where you are at now. I can attest to you that working the steps will bring more joy, peace, & serenity to your life then you can possibly imagine.

Why not call your sponsor and start working the steps with him? The steps I found to be the key to my new life, they seem hard to do at first, well actually they seem easy until we look at them honestly, then they seem hard, but in reality they are the road to freedom!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dean,
What a wonderful post-actually both of them!
How lucky your family is to have you back, and they know it. I'm so proud to call you my friend.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Thank you for taking the time to share~ You've inspired me.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dean,

Thank you this gift of love. I will never know the joy of being a Father, but I can cherish the stories of those who are my friends as they rediscover the fruits of this new life.

Ron
Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dean,

Congratulations, you are very lucky to have your sobriety recognized, God Bless.

John
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dean,
You inspire and encourage me to stay strong. Thank you for your great example!

Wendy
Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Last night I took my wife to a play at a very nice theater. As you might imagine it has been a long time since that has happened. Tomorrow night My other son, I have four, is doing a show at a local club. The name of his band is "The Akashic". Remember you heard the name of the band here first.

The real news is today my oldest son, 25 years, is getting married. My first son to get married and I will be there.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want some cake.....
Old 06-25-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's the stuff you don't want to miss Dean, really. The beauty behind it all is you get to experience life again.

Great share.