Notices

And I didnt and wont drink!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And I didnt and wont drink!!!

Im gonna keep this simple but it still amazes. Last Friday at the noon meeting, before it started we were told one of our own died that morning in a motorcycle crash. This man was my sponsor, my friend and truly the reason AA worked and works for me. It works..ok...Also, 22 days ago I was injured on the job, Im a saute chef, and line cook. I received a 3rd degree thermal burn on my ankle, limiting wearing a shoe...hence the no working...Prior to that I had a HUGE blow up with my dad, (hes a dry drunk), about my kids, one started college, and is in NY right now, annndddd prior to that I was in Detox, Rehab and quit my job of 18years at the same place -- the last 3 things are well over 90 days....Im sober, work the program, on step 4, have a new sponsor, another close AA friend, do service work, and have a home group.
BUT I HAVE NOT HAD TO DRINK...and dont want too, seems soo strange, but the desire is gone...I think about it, but I love being sober, and love my no working ass life right now..LOL.
I sent this and then posted it on myspace for some fellows to read..just wanted to share how powerful and amazing AA is..opinions are welcomed..

Friday, June 06, 2008

I lost a friend today
Current mood: sad
Category: Life

I wrote this and emailed it too some very special folks in my life today. This is but a brief description of the emotions that I have experiencened today. Tonight I attended a special meeting, to reflect upon the life of my friend. Many people had great things to say about him, stories and events that in the brief time that I have known him I was unaware of. I have no qualms about people knowing the past that I have..for that reason alone, it makes me a stronger person. My life has been an amazing journey, and because of this one individual, I have been able to maintain and and keep and clean and sober existence. Many folks that attended the same meetings dont know much about me. Those close to me on this myspace page know all too well about me. For some, this blog in itself will be an eye opener...one of those moments we each have that when we sit back, we go..."I never would have guessed"...LOL..and others will say "about time" LOL.
So for me to come here, in a public forum and share this is pretty big. Hell I dont share this in meetings..EVER. Oh, I have a story, I have lotsa stories, and some of the stuff I have done, and did, would make anyone but another alcoholic blush. Hahaha...but thats the beauty of AA..we, the members of AA are a unique set of men and women who have one basic bond in common. We ALL have been there. Someday soon, I may start to open up and allow myself to be examined by my fellow AA friends, but alas, Im just a baby in this process, scratching step 4, and just yesterday reach a milestone for me alone.

The 12th Tradition states
" Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principals before personalities"
By sending this nothing or no one was harmed or outed. By typing this here no one but a select few will be any wiser to the anonymity of my friend, and my sponsor.. Steve
May God bless him and his family!

Hey All,

Most of you know my story for the last 3 months and what I have done and where I have gone. As you know I attend AA meetings daily sometimes 2x a day and really have gained alot of help and information from these meetings. I have met some wonderful people who have greatly impacted my life moreso than anyone else in years. In the world of AA, we do have a protocol and a set of guidelines that each of us follow. One of these is the tweleve step process, and sponsorship. Sponsorship is greatly promoted and urgred for all those entering into the world of sobriety. The 12 step program, is a process in which if worked and followed in your daily life the desire to abuse (((whatever))) will be taken away. 12 step programs based on the AA design are used worldwide in many forms.

Narcotics, Overeaters, Alcohol, are just a few of the programs which follow the 12 step system. Sponsors, in these programs is, for me, one alcoholic helping another..thats how it works. Really, its that simple. The sponsors are people who have sobriety; be it 1-2-3 years or more and have worked the steps, and are here to help others gain there own sobriety. They are men and women who through help of there own sponsors, have achieved a level of sobriey and are in a position to give back to those who need it and those who want it now. Some people will stay sober for months, years even decades and then for whatever reason, relasp. There is no set agenda for the reasons they do this, the trigger could be very tramatic or as simple as an argument. But it happens. One of the main reasons is one quits working the steps, they lose contact with their sponsors, and they completely stop going to meetings and helping others. AA is a fellowship of men and women who, when sobriety is attained, they must give back, in order to remain sober and basically stay sane. LOL

I just learned today at my noon meeting that my sponsor died this morning in a crash on his way to see his Mom and Dad out of state. He was a very influencial man in my journey so far. Yesterday was a milestone for me, I reached 90 days without having anything to drink. I have never...EVER..mind you....NOT ONCE..gone that long without having something to drink at one point or another. Thats really tremendous for me. He was a huge part of that. He and I have been working the steps, and he was one person I could talk too that has been there and done that. We have shared many stories, and laffs, and sadness together in regard to our AA life. He will greatly be missed.

Now, just because he his gone, is not a reason for me to go back out (((drinking))), because I have other folks if needed I can talk too in the AA rooms. But I just wanted to spread this out because, he was someone I saw almost everyday, he was the one person who understood what exacty I had gone through in the years prior to asking for help. He was a recovering Alcoholic, like myself. He knew. I don't know if this makes any sense, but he just knew. I really have a hard time accepting this, but it has happened. I just wanted to share this and let you all know, how quickly life can be taken from us --just that fast.

I was not expecting this today. So....too those who recieve this, just let me say I love you all. We sometimes take for granted people in our life and never think that the last time we see someone might literally be our last time--Just that fast. Everyone needs to share whatever part of this message with whomever they wish. Take the time to recognize your friends, family, co-workers, etc..those people that make an impact in your life and tell them what they mean to you. It doesnt have to be mushy or anything, just a simple acknowledgement is ok.

I love each and everyone that I sent this too, and I hope some of you share this with your family and friends and reach out and pass this this along. This Man is and was a great influence in my last 90 days. He has helped me more than anytihing else has.Of course I have a great,loving and supporting family that has helped me more than I ever dreamed. And as most know I have my Stacie - SHE has ALWAYS been there, always cared and always has loved me and continues to be my biggest supporter to this day. Also most of you know I no longer am married to Stacie because of Drinking...So this is why this death really hurts again! It like I lost twice......

Im truly lucky, in some regards. Im healthy, loved and am surrounded by people that care. One day I will be gone. As each of you will. When that time comes, I hope I tell all those close too me how you have impacted my life. Be it large or small. The fact that you entered into my world and became a friend, foe, wife, family member or what have you, each of us is here in each others life for a reason, and I just want you all too know before its not ever said,
I love You! Each of YOU!!!!

My friends death today really has shaken me up, but with gods help It will all be ok

Thanks for reading, and please pass this message on, to everyone that you feel could use it!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sorry for the loss of your friend and sponsor. You are right in reminding us of the fragility of life, how quickly it can be taken away. You are also right in reminding us to tell those we love of our love for them, as any one of us might not be here tomorrow. I will take your advice and tell my loved ones just how much they mean to me! I will tell them often.

Thank you for this important reminder.:ghug3
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thank you for sharing part of your journey with us...

Sorry to know of the loss of a friend.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My deepest condolances on your lose Lee, you know Steve has already read this and is smiling!

Fantastic share Lee.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. Stay strong.