Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

If you are here for help or to help the suffering Alcoholic...

Notices

If you are here for help or to help the suffering Alcoholic...

Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you one and all. My point is that there is a time and a place for everything and this particular Forum is not the place for AA battles pro or con as I understand the rules of SR. We can always play in the 12 Step Forum were maybe we will not cause someone permenant damage; hopefully
Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Now I see how holy wars are started.

My recovery program can beat up your recovery program!!!

(I'm joking).

Tom
Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Sig -
that's exactly why I usually don't participate in those kind of threads.

except, maybe ... to accenturate the ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

First of all, thank you Rufus for starting this thread.

Sometimes it stops if others stop responding. I'm learning to let other's have the last word. I tend to hear the voice of reason when I am seeking and the angry or loud voices bounce right off my brain.
I agree with the above statement by nanda. It's just very hard for me not to respond when I hear someone bashing AA/NA. If it weren't for the Program, the Steps and the Fellowship, I have no doubt it my mind that not only would I not be coming up on 3 years in Recovery but I also would have been dead about 2 1/2 years ago. In my eyes, it's like if I felt the need to defend my Parents, who gave me life, I want to defend the Programs that not only saved my life but also gave me back my life.

I don't care if someone is able to achieve quality sobriety and clean time by eating only green food, wearing only orange and purple clothes, hopping on one foot and using a tree as their Higher Power. But I will continue, when asked, to share my experiences with AA/NA. However, I do agree that it is unnecessary for someone to come on and after saying that they don't use the Principals of AA/NA to say that it's all a bunch of BS. This is where I need to not feel as though I need to put on the boxing gloves, but simply say the Serenity Prayer. . .

God, Grant me the Serenity, to Accept the Things I cannot Change, the Courage to Change the Things that I Can, and the Wisdom to Know the Difference.

And I guess the Wisdom in a case like this, is to simply not respond. Let the way I am choosing to not be baited speak for itself.

Thank You & God Bless,
Judy