Notices

Anybody had the same issues!?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody had the same issues!?

Hi. It's my first time in this board, I came here through a google search and I found it very useful, really valuable tips. My problems are similar as displayed over here, but the alcohol f***** up my social life, I wasn't like that, I used to be a handsome man, now I'm fat man with bloated face due to alcohol, high blood pressume and all issues related to alcohol, became an arrogant person, I only leave home to collect my job payment and buy food. I trying badly stop drinking and I can't sleep since I stopped 3 days ago, it's a start I think, I want to believe it's a start, I miss my old life, want to be like 7 years ago again, wasted so much of my life.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Have you sought any outside help? Treatment center, outpatient help, or even AA? What methods have you already tried to stop drinking? Just curious? Aside from all that...Welcome to Sober Recovery! Glad you are here! :ghug2
Old 05-26-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Welcome to SR flavinho your not alone I have faced many of the same issues and 3 days is a start, Congratulations. I have found AA to be a good safe place to regain social skills that I have neglected over years of alcoholic isolation. Not only can my life be as good as it was but it is now getting better.

Last edited by Dean62; 05-26-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not an issue you mentioned that I did not encounter

You have every reason to pat yourself on your back for three days without a drink. Among other physical, emotional challenges, not sleeping during initial detox is super tough, but it will soon be over - just hang in there. The gut, bloated face, and faded handsomeness (is that a word?) will all bounce back quicker than you might think as you continue to take care of yourself. Always great to check in with sites such as this, but human contact is fairly vital to recover from most anything, including alcohol issues. You might just be amazed at how quickly you feel better, more hopeful and more at peace once you reach out to people and share and overcome your vulnerabilities, especially when it feels uncomfortable to do so. Just do the absolute best you can to be gentle and kind to yourself and even when recalling and sharing things that elicits shame, guilt, hopelessness and so on, remember that it reflects something you did or felt, but does not reflect who you truly are. Hold yourself in high esteem. For me, recovery became solid when I finally reached out, expressed myself deeply and honestly, yet expected and required no one outside of myself to offer solutions to my problems and I held only myself accountable for my sobriety. I would not allow myself to blame my drinking on anything or anyone, no matter what. I gave to myself and others passionately and enthusiastically and again, did so without expecting anything, not even a smile or a thank you. Ironically, once I was so fiercely committed to my own recovery and expected and required nothing from anyone is precisely when armys of support. love, kindness, inspiration and so on....greeted me at every possible corner. it was quite profound, really.

Anyway, stay in charge and proactive. Reach out, honor yourself, find something out there that feels right in terms of support and give it your all. No doubt you can do it and make your life even better than it would have been without this challenge to begin with.

Hold your chin up, whether you feel like it or not
Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!

Sobriety did not give me my life back but rather gave me a better life than I dreamed possible. Hang in there and keep working on your sobriety, the other things will fall in place.

Are you working a program of recovery? If not you might check out the link in the top of this forum "recovery programs". There are many to choose from and they definately help with finding and maintaining sobriety.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

flavinho.....Welcome!

Yes...it's a start and I do hope you continue.
Keep in focus and do keep posting with us.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

flavino congrats on the 3 days sober, for me for many years I was able to quit..... my problem was staying quit!

Alcoholism is a very difficult disease to bring under control, very few alcoholics find long term sobriety alone, most use a long term program of recovery to help them stay sober.

There are quite a few qprograms out there, I encourage you to check them out and find one that works for you and work it!!! What ever program you choose follow to the best of your ability all the suggestions.

I chose AA because I found it crucial to have face to face support and also to be able to help others recover from alcoholism.