Notices

AA and other substances

Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question AA and other substances

I have not had a drink since May 31 of 2007, and on June 1 of this year I will have one year. But.............. I have been smoking pot during this time. I have not used in the last week. So I am asking for opinions from people with some sober time under thier belts. Do you think I need to take a new sober date in AA?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mhigh26 View Post
I have not had a drink since May 31 of 2007, and on June 1 of this year I will have one year. But.............. I have been smoking pot during this time. I have not used in the last week. So I am asking for opinions from people with some sober time under thier belts. Do you think I need to take a new sober date in AA?
Your choice. But I have to chuckle inwardly when I sit at a table with a person that talks about two sobriety dates, allowing that in reality they've only been sober for a brief period of time. Even minimizing it by saying that they haven't bought any weed in quite some time. Now substitute alcohol for weed to see how ridiculous that sort of statement is "well, had a relapse last night but it wasn't so bad, didn't actually buy any drinks, they bought them for me"

How you work your program is strictly up to you.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Have you discussed this with your sponsor?
Looked on the literature rack in meetings
for i pamphlets?
I can't remember the title but there is at least one.

As I quit pot years before I quit drinking
I have no personal experiences to share
but others who do will be along I'm sure.

The only sober time I count
is my own...
Old 05-23-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I have talked to my sponsor, whom has 22 years of total sobriety. I know my answer. I just wanted to hear from others with sobriety.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

So, am I safe to assume that you are looking for a different answer than your Sponsors?

And what is "total sobriety?"

Old 05-23-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No I am not looking for a different answer. I am an alcoholic addict. So for me total sobriety means no drinking, no drugs, and even gambling. I just wanted to hear what others in recovery thought. For awhile it just seemed so easy to justify smoking pot. That is untill I did my 5th step with my sponsor. We are only as sick as our darkest secret!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me, and for most of us in NA and AA, if I am taking a drug that isn't prescribed for me, or taking more than prescribed, then I am not clean, I'm abusing drugs (pot is a drug). So unless you have cancer or glaucoma and a doctor recommended that you smoke the pot, I wouldn't be able to say I was clean in your circumstances. I know some people that don't count occasional use of pot as drugs, but I do. It's really all up to you.
kj
Old 05-23-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a firm believer in what 'AA' says as opposed to what AAer's say (oft-times AAer's opinions are not in agreement with AA). Therefore, my suggestion would be to go to Alcoholics Anonymous ; go to INFORMATION ON AA; then double click on the list on the left for the pamphlet on Problems Other Than Alcohol ( Alcoholics Anonymous : ) ; and just download from the 'pamphlet icon.' In this pamphlet you will read what AA has to say about drugs other than alcohol.....(ie, AA is ONLY about ALCOHOL and recovery from ALCOHOLISM)

Happy Searching,
NoelleR
Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi mhigh26
I have a very similar story to yours. I quit drinking on Sept 24 2005, but didn't stop smoking pot until Jan 3 2006. I call Jan 3rd my sobriety date.

In my situation, it made sense to change my sobriety date. I was going to AA everyday, and getting "blasted" on weed every day as well. I carried a large burden of guilt and anxiety with me. I told my sponsor and he said I could choose what to do about the sobriety date issue. I changed it because in my heart I knew that I wasn't sober when I was getting blasted on weed.

On the other side of the coin, there are those who believe that AA should only deal with alcohol. "AA has no opinion on outside issues" This could be applied to the weed debate.

I saw my weed smoking as being an extension of my alcohol addiction. For me, I actually see it as being one and the same (alcohol and weed). I wasn't free untill I put the bottle AND the joint down.
chip
Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hey Mhigh! 1 year off alcohol is great AND doing the 5th step is awesome well done. I had the very same dilemma a year ago - what would one joint hurt in Amsterda (where it's legal LOL Navysteve, talk about insanity!! ) I went to an early aa meeting and heard a woman share (I was going to pick up a joint straight after that meeting) saying how she 'used' successfully for short period and then it all led back to alcohol - but worse the spiritual malady was nearly killing her. Now I know that sobriety is all or nothing...however it would be a shame to just negate all the alcohol clean time - I'd start it again the sober date but always remembering you've had this big chunk of clean time from alcohol and that's not to be sniffed at excuse the pun! you're doing great!!! as carol said the only clean time i count is my own - we are all only clean and sober just for today.
Well done,
Cathy31
x
would probably keep 2 dates LOL
Old 05-24-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

"To thine own self, be true."

If I claim a sobriety date, if alcohol is but a symptom - and I acknowledge that there may be other symptoms - then my sobriety date is the day that all my symptoms are in remission. Only then can I see what's left for my HP and the steps to straighten out in me.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Chip.... That describes my story to the t. And thank you to everyone who has replied.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your sobriety date is what it is. Whether you chose to tell anyone the true date or not will not change that date. Just be honest with yourself based on your beliefs and your heart and take it from there.

Then again, you can do it like I do it - if it would taint my court ordered ua's then it isn't staying sober.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

not to change the subject, tennis, but what is a "ua"??

thanks
Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

urine analysis
Old 05-25-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

mhigh-yes to your original post