Notices

Alcoholism and depression

Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and depression

Hi,

Like so many here in the Gulf Coast I really hit the bottle after Katrina. I'm in therapy, on medication but the depression never ends. I've not been able to find steady, work without lack of trying there's just nothing left in my field. I can go without drinking for a week or so but the depression just kicks me so hard that just getting alcohol in my system gives some sort of temporary relief. I don't want to place all the blame on Katrina but like many, many thousands of people my life has changed so drastically. Losing y house, job, friends both dead and and displaced, my mother getting sick and dieing a year after. The sacrifice to help my father. I just feel so lost. Now, due to the bad times from drinking my girlfriend left me for good, other friends who are not from here won't speak to me because of outbursts. It's like I've become lost and don't seem to be able to find my way back.

I must also say that I'm not religious and will not even think of that as an option. I just don't truely no where to begin. I've stopped, but for how long I don't know. I think about taking a drink as soon as I think of being left by the only one that I could count on, my girlfriend. I'm also not a person that believes 100% in therapy. SOmetimes I think that it gives you wrong answers....like putting a box around yourself and not helping the ones you love with all your heart. Case in point, my ex. Her therapy taught her to put her foot down and leave instead of understanding I was getting help.

ANyways, I just don't know what to do anymore!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Although I did not experience a Katrina, my alcoholism took me to where you are at now, once I hit the point where I was willing to do what ever it took to get and stay sober was I able to find a solution to my alcoholism.

Are you willing to do what ever it takes to stop drinking and stay stopped?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really sorry to hear about what has happened in your life.

But you know, I always tried to find a reason why my life was so bad. I was molested as a kid, was in a fire, lost a baby, my husband died of cancer and so on.

But my problem was addiction. I found every excuse to justify my use. But i truly believed it was a way to cope for me at that time. There are so many people that go through pain without using like I did.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel for you. Things beyond our ability to control...

Actually, I think that the only person you can count on is yourself. That may be the unkind lesson of Katrina. It is a deep and painful wound not only for individuals like yourself, but a black eye for the entire country.

Also, your girlfriend may have gotten some rather good therapy. The prognosis for living with an alcoholic isn't all that great, and therapists know that. She may have simply chosen to arrange the odds in her favor.

I wouldn't discount the power of therapy. Like anything else, it has to "fit." Depression, like alcoholism requires that we change the way we look at things. If you can do it by yourself, fine. Few, I think, are able to do that thoroughly by ourselves.

I think it is unfortunate that so many of us alcoholics are the world's biggest skeptics. Many of us are even cynical about "programs" and approaches that others find help in. I have to force myself to approach things with an open, but critical mind. I never expect THE answer, but I continually find tools in unlikely places.

Godspeed. You have some real reasons to feel the way you do. I have no qualifications to say this, but PTSD may not be far fetched. I do know that my 19th century male stoicism did me in eventually. I now accept help wherever I can find it. The stakes are too high.

warren
Old 05-14-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

there is help for you, but you have to really want it more than the life you are currently living.

do you?

I hear your pain, but you seem opposed to help. please reconsider therapy, healing, recovery and a power greater than yourself. you never know, maybe now would be a perfect time to try something you've never tried before.

i wish you the best, I'm sorry for all you've been through and i will even pray for a good outcome for you.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...tragedies do happen to many.
....I am sorry for your losses.

Depression is why I began AA.
AA gave me ways to cope and move into
a sober life with joy and purpose.

Welcome to SR!