Notices

liver function test

Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

liver function test

Ok ive decided to post this after much deliberation, and my apologies to anyone who has had real medical problems for sounding lame.
I know were not supposed to ask for medical help on these forums but i am completely obsessing about the possibility that i may have done serious damage to myself by drinking.
The trouble is i have a COMPLETE fear/phobia of needles and im aware that one way to put my mind at rest is to have loads of blood tests done but the thought fills me with terror,
I feel amazing since stopping, am running 8- 13 mils regulalrly and have no obvious signs of any problems, i did go to my doctor and he told me that as i only really went for it for 3- 4 years (only really the last year that was excessive) and the fact that im young, there was little if any chance that id done lasting damage but despite this i still cant stop worrying,
Anyway just throwing this out there , any thoughts/ experiences would be gratefully recieved.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's natural to worry about it after a lot of drinking. From my experience and hearing that of others it is extremely unlikely you've caused any lasting damage. Any damage you caused will be healed by now given the restorative powers of the liver.

As long as you don't go back to drinking excessively and there's no symptoms i'd say forget about it mate.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you know im such an idiotic obsessive person, i reckon if they scanned me, biopsed me and TOLD me im ok, i STILL wouldnt believe them.....thanks for responding.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ever closer...

For me part of the true fear about my liver function test results is actually telling my doctor that I am an alcoholic! I work with her at the hospital and it is just one more person that I have to admit my huge character flaw too.
Your needle fear is common but drawing blood is just one second and hurts way worse than the isolation and devestation that alcohol has caused us all.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i think my doctor thought i was really stupid for raising it, as im in my 20's and obviously told him that i havent drunk for 7 weeks and dont intend on ever doing so again, hasnt stopped me from going away worrying about it all tho
Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Super ( I refuse to call you supernothing because you are something!!!! LOL), worry if you must, perhaps I can help a bit with my experience, this does not substitute for your own personal blood work, but since your doctor is aware and not worried I will share mine.

After 40 years of drinking I went into detox at the young age of 52!!! They checked my liver enzymes and I was diagnosed with a fatty liver which is a precursor to cirrosis of the liver, 90 days after my last drink I had my liver enzymes checked again, all my levels had returned to normal!

BTW my liver was swollen and tender to the touch, it had been that way for 20 years! The swelling was gone entirely in about 6 months, the tenderness in less then a month.

Super perhaps you can talk your doctor into checking your liver enzymes if that will make you feel better.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

perhaps i should lie and tell him i drank upwards of a bottle of vodka a day instead of wine and he may take me seriously! (jk)
Thanks for that tazman it did help, im having a bit of an anxious/ stressful time atm and this in just one of many things i think if i face, will help me feel better.
One day at a time.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

As an alcholic I know that the alcohol in wine, vodka, beer, bourbon, whiskey, etc. is all the same, it amazes me that a doctor would not be aware of that as well. I knew that when I was drinking, one of the reasons I drank a bottle and a half of cooking sherry, to get the job done!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well, im 29 and would still get ask for I.D to buy the stuff as im very slight in build and look young - there's alot of prejudice out there in the world of how old/ what an alcoholic should look/ act like, and all of us here know that we come in all shapes, sizes, ages and genders.
I think he just thought i was too young to have had a problem with it that would be serious enough to cause me health problems. If only he knew how much little me could put away in one sitting.....
Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

If only he knew how much little me could put away in one sitting.....
This is where HONESTY with one's Dr is SO IMPORTANT. My doctor KNOWS my WHOLE STORY so because I have permanent damage, when I have my 3 months blood work done (I have diabetes now also) she always does a complete liver panel and I'm holding my own.

I believe part of your 'fear' is coming from not having been totally honest with your doctor.

However, that being said, your doing well apparently, hopefully eating right with all that running, and sounds like you are all right. Take that obsessing and obsess on working on you in your recovery. Turn it into a positive instead of a negative.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Isn't a supernothing a freestyle moto x move?............any way as mentioned before the liver is pretty amazing and with proper care can heal if you have done any damage. So get your blood tested, you may be pleasantly surprised. Here is your chance to put the concept of surrendering or acceptance to the test.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by supernothing View Post
you know im such an idiotic obsessive person, i reckon if they scanned me, biopsed me and TOLD me im ok, i STILL wouldnt believe them.....thanks for responding.

How are you ever going to recovery if you don't believe the truth when you hear it?

Did you worry about liver levels when you were drinking?

Just curious; thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you everyone, im going to bite the bullet and face my fear and get them done.
Did i worry about my liver when i was drinking? no not at all.
Funny that isnt it?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You can do it.......Best to you!