Notices

Remember those that just can't get AA

Old 05-10-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remember those that just can't get AA

Hi, I am a 21 year sober alcoholic, I'm glad to be on this forum right now, I just wanted to ask all of you to please remember those who are still out there and who are dying from this disease and just can't get the program. There are folks that no matter what, can't get it. I especially want to remember this today because my alcoholic husband is loosing his battle with this disease and it destroyed our lives. I hurt so deeply because I wasn't able to help him and I'm having a hard time helping myself right now becuase I have been around the program for so long that I know what happens to people that don't go to meetings. I know folks die. I see a broken person that can't work, lives on the street, no money, no family and no friends. I am also in "Alanon" and I know I can't help him and that he is in Gods hands, but that doesn't make it hurt any less. 7 months ago, we were going to the gym, making good money, family and friends all around, livng in our beautiful home and all was well - alcohol has taken my precious husband, his job, our home is in foreclosure, the kids are not around anymore and Im just hanging on. my purpose here wasn't to do anything but to remind especially those that are strugglling with sobriety to hang on and remember, always remember that booze wants us dead. It kills, it's an awful devastating disease. Please pray for my michael, please pray for him.

Thank you for reading my thread and God bless you all.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Dear Lord, may Loreena and Michael feel your blessings upon them. May they feel Your warm, loving grace and mercy.

Thank you, Loreena for reaching out to me with your message. That was an act of kindness that I appreciate this evening.

Liberty~
Old 05-10-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Two prayers I have modified just for you. I don't know if you are Roman Catholic, like me, but I hope they help you either way.
For all those reading this who are not Catholic, please understand that many Catholics frequently ask Mary to intervene on our behalf in prayer as she has a special place in our faith, especially in May, the month of Mary and of mothers. We don't pray to Mary, as she isn't God, we ask for her to pray with us.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, on this Mother's day, pray for Loreena and Michael. Please ask your Son to help these two children of God in their hour of need.

Lord, let your grace shine upon them, and give them strength and peace. Help Loreena to bear up in this time of crisis and for her to know that she never walks without you. Help Michael to beat this disease. Help him to know what he needs to do to achieve recovery with all your strength and love.

Love from KJ
Old 05-10-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Loreena, people who go to meetings need to want to be sober too - even if they get it.

If your hubby doesn't want to be sober, no amount of prayers, meetings or anything else for that matter will be able to do anything for him.

He really should get to the doctors and get himself checked out - as well as possibly hooking him up with resources to try and help him get sober (maybe AA, maybe something else he hasn't tried yet) they can prescribe him with medicine to help curb the cravings or help him face the physical symptoms/hardships of withdrawal - I know that fear of withdrawal symptoms was a huge barrier to me quitting, and it wasn't until somebody finally convinced me to go to the doctors that I was able to quit.

There is always hope and I hope your husband wakes up to the fact that he's killing himself before it's too late.

If he doesn't get AA, there are other programs out there too. But he has to want to quit, no matter what he tries.

I hope everything works out for him.

PS - Have you tried to get him to post here, or maybe just pop in for a look? Might be worth a shot.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers for both of you going out.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

((((Loreena))))

Thank you for your touching post. How soon some of forget that some do not make it to the rooms. My Sister, Linda, was one of them. In '91, my Sister had been hosptalized in and out of ICU for 6 weeks. On a Good Friday that year, she decided that on her discharge date, scheduled for that Wed., April 3, instead of going home, she wanted to go into treatment. Linda never made it. She passed away on Monday, April 1. We buried her on what would have been the day she went into treatment for her alcoholism. Linda was only 26 years old when complications from Cirrhosis of the liver took her life.

Each day in my morning Program, I say a Prayer for those who will pick up for the first time that day, those who will suffer yet another day and for the children who have no say so in the matter. I will now include Michael by name.

God Bless you both. It has to be hard looking at him slowly being destroyed physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually as you continue to grow in your Sobriety.

Thank you again for reminding us just how precious our Recovery is to each of us.

God Bless &Thank God . . . Just for Today,
Judy
Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my first wave of AA a man said something I will never forget:

Statisitically speaking, less than 20% of the people in the room will choose sobriety. The other 80+ perecent will continue being alcoholics and all that comes with it.

So there you have it. This board is probably similar. Sorry about your husband. I am battling the same demons he probably is. At this point of life, whether it's him, or me, we make decisions and nobody is going to talk us out of them.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dear Loreena - My prayers are going up for you and your husband - I am a Catholic, and we often ask St. Joseph to intercede for us as the protector of families. He will hear my prayers for you today....incidently, my husband's name is also Michael and I often refer to him as "my Michael" because we have several Michaels on both sides of the family. While I am the alcoholic in this family, your post touched me very deeply and your whole family will be in my prayers. Keep posting. Jomey
Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Prayers to you and your husband Loreena.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Loreena all of you will be in my prayers, we have a moment of silence in almost all of our meetings for those still suffering.