Notices

So I am up for the meeting topic...

Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

So I am up for the meeting topic...

What do you guys think about like suggesting a topic in relation to things that enhance your recovery? I have been attending this one meeting pretty regularly and I would like to share some of the online resources I find useful as well as the books and stuff I use from time to time.

This would foster a discussion then as to what you do to enhance your own recovery....and if you don't already....here are some options I use...type thing
Old 04-28-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sounds like an excellent topic to me, you will have to let us know how it goes.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Should I bring like 5-10 printouts of urls and explanations for people who would maybe want them? I am thinking so...and add on their the books and stuff I use too...i will not pass them out, but I will offer them to anyone who would like them at the end of the meeting type thing

No one has ever done that, but when I am set for something I always prepare and get ready I guess....the people at the meeting are always like well i guess it is my day but they sign up for it so its like wtf
Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It would depend on what this groups decision
is on what topic you may use.

My home group voted to only use AA approved
literature for meeting topics.
The chair chooses the topic.

I'd check with the GSR to make sure.

Blessings ...

Last edited by CarolD; 04-28-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added Info
Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sources such as books to enhance our spirituality are mentioned in chapter 6, some meeting in their group conscience do limit it to only AA aproved literature as Carol mentioned.
If circumstances warrant, we ask our wives or friends to join us in morning meditation. If we belong to a religious denomination which requires a definite morning devotion, we attend to that also. If not members of religious bodies, we sometimes select and memorize a few set prayers which emphasize the principles we have been discussing. There are many helpful books also. Suggestions about these may be obtained from one's priest, minister, or rabbi. Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

i will have to make an effort to ask tonight....
Old 04-29-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting once and the discussion leader read something out of a book by Tennessee Williams. There was no real central topic. After the meeting I looked at someone and said, "that's the best BB I've ever heard" He said, "what's BB? I said, " I don't know, but it wasn't AA". Here we have a Big Book, 12 & 12, and As Bill See's It to come up with a topic and this guy reads out of something from Tennessee fricken Williams. Sorry, but I prefer the clear message intact.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

[]Personally, I think it's really thoughtful of you to want to share the things that you have found helpful in your Recovery. If I were you, I don't know if I would actually bring it up as a topic. I have shared about a few Recovery related books as well as this site during a meeting though. I waited until a topic came up where this could fit in. At one meeting, one of the topics at a newcomers meeting was activities that we can do that don't involve drinking/using. It fit right in.

Glad to see you taking an interest in meetings like you have. I only wish all of the individuals who say that AA/NA isn't for them would try going to at least 5 or 6 meetings to see if they change their minds.

After all, part of Recovery is to be willing to go to any length. If someone who wants Recovery can't invest 5 or 6 hours in their Recovery, I would question their sincerity.

Don't mean to hijack your thread. Just as with your question, I brought this up somewhere where I felt it fit in.

God Bless,
Judy