Notices

Am I alcoholic or going down that highway?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I alcoholic or going down that highway?

I may be in the wrong place, but I hope not. I have a question though regarding my drinking.

I don't believe that I am alcoholic, and my girlfriend/roommate don't think so either, but I'm starting to question it.

I drink pretty much every night. I don't drink to get drunk, I hate being drunk. Two drinks gets me buzzed and feeling good and I am able to relax. My tolerance has not increased at all.

Starting a few months ago the stress of my job, combined with trying to deal with my ex who's sole intention was to disrupt my life as much as possible, started me down the path of drinking to chill out. I use to just drink during the weekends with friends while out, had fun, etc. Never had a drink during the week, social drinker I guess. Never interfered with my life at all. Now I have 2 drinks a night of vodka/monster.

Before, I could not relax, or sleep. If I tried to go to bed without having some drinks I wouldn't be able to go to sleep because I would just have thoughts running through my head that would upset/frustrate me non stop. Drinking lets me let go of my stress and tension, and I was able to sleep like a baby. I've developed insomnia, but I've narrowed that down to the monster, obvious I know!

I can go without drinking, especially if I'm not home. I don't obsess, and I don't think about it either. If I'm home though, 9pm rolls around and I make my first drink. To me, it just seems to become habit and part of my nightly routine, if I'm not in the mood to drink (which is rare) I can without problems. Although I can obsess about it sometimes, and will run up to the store real quick to grab some monsters.

Am I on the road to becoming alcoholic?? To this point, having 2 drinks a night has not caused any disruption in my life in any way, at least that I can see or has been pointed out to me.

My girlfriend is worried that I could be if I started drinking more. Addiction runs in my family, and because of that I've never done drugs, and I will almost never take pills.

Thank you for any feedback and opinions!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi casev-

Welcome to SR!

YOu know, no one can 'tell' you if you're an alcoholic...
that's the kind of thing you have to read up on ...
and decide for yourself.

And after we do some recovery work -
we all admit we pretty much 'knew' from the get-go.

Why not read some of the stickies at the top of this forum ...
follow a few of those links ... maybe that will help you decide.

One really easy way to find out -
is to go out and try some 'controlled drinking'.

Or -
Just up and quit for thirty days.
See how hard it is.

As a retired alcoholic bartender -
I *did* have customers who could do that.

Just ... up and quit drinking.
For however long they wanted to.
Wierdest thing I ever saw.
*no thanks barb, I don't want anything*

OThers, though....
swore up and down they weren't alcoholics -
but could NOT go one day longer ...
than however long they'd 'swear off' for.
Not. One. Day.

(for example - if they were on medication,
or had a blood test coming up , etc)

Just something to think about.

People who don't have drinking problems
don't wonder if they might have drinking problems.
They know.

Last edited by barb dwyer; 04-24-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by casev View Post

Am I on the road to becoming alcoholic?? To this point, having 2 drinks a night has not caused any disruption in my life in any way, at least that I can see or has been pointed out to me.

Thank you for any feedback and opinions!
Welcome to SR casev, u are in the right to be asking these questions, keep posting/reading, there is a heaps of great info and support here@SR.

i'd only like to point out the rest of ur post... i believe u may see that ur drinking has caused some disruption... in particular physical disruption of cravings and sleep problems.
not to take u out of context or tell u that ur an alkie... u can only answer that question...
best way is to educate urself about alcoholism, talk to ur Doctor about these physical disruptions that u have obviously narrowed down to the monster.

stick around:ghug theres a lot of good feedback @SR to see u thru
Best wishes casev
Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Here is a link to a 12 question test Alcoholics Anonymous : take it honestly and see what you think.

I can tell you this, alcoholism is a progressive disease, some people progress in their disease at a very rapid rate, for others the progression is slow, it took me 30 years of drinking before problems really started to surface for me.

The test I provided the link to if I had taken it when I was 19 or 20 I would have answered 4 of them with a yes, when I quit drinking I would have answered 11 out of 12 with a yes!!!

Keep in mind also that if you do determine you are an alcoholic that the sooner you can quit entirely the easier it will be.

Alcoholism never gets better, it always progresses with every drink.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hi casey,

I don't know if you are an alcoholic but what you write seems to indicate that you are developing an alcohol dependency. You are using alcohol like a drug and, by the way, alcohol is a drug as much as marijuana is a drug. If you have a family history of addiction, it is good that you are concerned now. It would be much better for you to stop completely or return to your previous "only drinking with friends on the weekend" than it would be to continue what you are doing. If you find out that is harder to do than you think it will be, you may have an answer to your question.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

hm....like the others say only u can identify your alcoholism. If i were u i'd deffo do some of the questionaires for alcoholism diagnosis, this may give you a better idea. Whether your an alcoholic or not there is no doubt that u r dependant upon alcohol - u need it to carry out a normal function- sleep. With addiction being present in your family maybe it's time you gave up booze just to be on the safe side?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I started wondering if I had a drinking problem, I HAD a drinking problem. If it hadn't been a problem I wouldn't have been wondering if it was. The point is, when it wasn't a problem, when I could stop after one or two glasses of wine, I didn't think about it.

The fact that you're questioning your drinking habits and the effect it has on you makes me think that YOU think there might be a problem.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery site...

According to the CDC....
Moderate drinking is no more than 2 drinks a day for men..1 for women
They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.

Just something to think about...
good to see a new member
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just don't drink , then you will not have to ponder that question. If you can,t go without it then you might want to ask that question again..

Take care,
John
Old 04-24-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

hey casey and welcome...do the questionnaire and see what you find...furthermore...give up for 30 days - no alcohol whatsoever...see how you get on?
Good luck - great to be asking those questions BEFORE there's a problem!
well done!
cathy31
x
Old 04-24-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You could try reading the AA big book to see if any of it relates to your situation.

You may also want to seek help with your coping skills. If you are drinking instead of addressing a problem such as insomnia, racing thoughts, stress, etc. then the problem will still be there and you will be out the cost of the drink.

Finally, try not drinking for a period of time and see if you can stick to it.

All of these are just suggestions, keep posting if you have questions, you are always welcome.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Starting a few months ago the stress of my job, combined with trying to deal with my ex who's sole intention was to disrupt my life as much as possible
wouldn't be able to go to sleep because I would just have thoughts running through my head that would upset/frustrate me non stop
Although I can obsess about it sometimes,
I'm not one to tell you yes or no. I can say, though, that any alcoholic should be able to relate to those thoughts. I know I can.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you are questioning it... you just may be.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The question is not whether you're an alcoholic, it is what stage you are in. You can quit early, but the psychology of alcoholism will remain. One thing I know about non-alcoholics is they don't go on this website, they don't have to question whether they are alcoholic or not, and they can permanently quit drinking without missing alcohol.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Last year, before I could even think about admitting to myself that I had a problem, I asked a very wise family member a question: "How do I know if I have a problem with alcohol?"

She replied: "The fact that you had to ask indicates a problem."

She was right. (Although I didn't learn this until several months later down the slippery slope).
Old 04-26-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Try limiting yourself to one drink a day for 2 weeks. No more, no less. See how that works out. Drive you crazy or not a big deal?

I more or less drank as much as I could as often as I could from the very beginning. Economics and legal concerns held me back, not a feeling one or 2 being enough.