Notices

what im most guilty about....

Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what im most guilty about....

im most guilty about the money ive thrown away on booze. that money could have gone to my son. that money could have gone to toys, college fund, or even bills.

instead i have chosen to hide behind the bottle. no matter what pain alcohol has caused me (constant stomach problems..being low on money...etc) i still choose the drink.

pretty darn low if you ask me.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In case you didn't notice, guilt isn't going to make you quit. It'll probably make you want to drink even more.
There's still a way out with no hard feelings. Just say the word.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR,

As pinkcuda said guilt doesn't keep people sober. There are many paths to recovery that have worked for many and I am sure there is a path for you as well. There is a list of recovery programs at the top of our alcoholism thread that you may find useful. Personally AA is the recovery program that saved me.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to SR and I have to say ditto on what cuda and nandm said, guilt will not help you get clean and sober at all! For me, the guilt kept me out there even longer! I'd think about all the things that I had done and start thinking, poor me, poor me, pour me another drink!

I hope you stick around, read some other threads, post some more. The more you are willing to share with us about you, the more we can get a clearer picture of where we can be of assistance in helping you dump the guilt, shame and all of the other feelings that will keep you using.

You've came to a great place! There's a great deal of experience,strength and hope here! Free for the taking!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I did my AA Steps 4 & 5
all my guilt and remorse vanished.

Here is one of our AA Promises
from the First Edition of our book
Alcoholics Anonymous.

"Fear of economic insecurity will leave us"

That has also happened for me.

You need not be living with fear or guilt.
Millions of us do not.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The steps as a whole resolved my guilt issues, this was a man who on more then one occasion put the milk back on the shelf because I did not have the money to buy both my beer and the kids milk!

Look yesterday is gone, there is now way to erase it, it is gone and can not be changed so why worry, what is done is done!

Living in the past kept me drinking for many years.

We only have today, that is all we have control over and all we need to be concerned about. Only what we do today will matter. Today we do not drink, so the money is not wasted! Today instead of drinking we can take actions to do something else with or money.

Tomorrow is not here and never will be.

If we live our lives with one foot in yesterday and the other in tomorrow we have no choice but to crap all over today!!!!

If we do the right thing today, then tomorrow will be better, and tomorrow yesterday will not be regreted. If we stay in today, do not drink today, and do what we can today we have done okay!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have to say that for me, guilt was a powerful motivator. Not the best one maybe, but it did galvanize me into action. It's been hard but by taking it one day at a time I've now been sober for 25 days. It can be done, you just have to want to stop drinking more than you want to drink. AA is very helpful too, as you can get advice from people with a lot of sober time, and you can get phone numbers to call if you're having cravings or other problems with your sobriety. All the best to you!:ghug