Notices

What have you substituted for alcohol?

Old 04-19-2008, 05:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

almost forgot...

at a meeting some time ago, was way too many donuts left...

the person that brought them, said... tale some back to trishes (miracal's) for her, the boys and yourself..

i had shoved about two dozen in a bag...

when i got there, six were left!!!

i ate thirtheen donuts in a matter of 15 minutes!

do i dare have one drink! yikes!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarssweetpea View Post
sugar, high fat foods & overeating in general.
unfortunately this has lead me to gain a few kgs... then lead to eating nothing.
Love fizzy(addiction to sugary soda similar to alcohol with less detramental side effects,lol)
so sparkling mineral water, lil more healthly than the sugar in fizzy drinks.
i have never been the biggest choc fan but love lollies so they were needed in the first wk or so....
but now for the past few days i've had a rotten toothache!!!

talking about anything to keep me sober (without leading down a path of eating disorders)...
In the way of subsitution, i'm considering would be to seek spirtuality/ higher power (not god, pls don't be confused)
i'm drinking the sparkling mineral water to ease the crave... now needing the psychological,spirtual,mental,emotional subsitute...

found temporarily by getting to as many AA meetings as possible, using that energy (of a fellowship) to help me calm n balance.... this may also be leading to a tea obsession... as i have them at meetings now i'm makin more cuppas at home to restore a sense calm.

lighting candles, incense, using crystals as means of cleansing my home to bring peace n harmony, has become a daliy ritual. brings me a lil closer to my true spirtual self and awareness.

also went through derverison with a short lived hobby(2days) making AA selfhelp related bookmarks... just a handful of motivation/spirtual gestures that gave me relief from anixiety n a few place markers for all the new readings i'm embarking on (bigbook, daily reflections, living sober).

now the physical detox is over, i'm starting/trying to read... but i'm easily confused its hard to explain. i've mentioned before in my recovery that i'm going on autopilot... but really, without alcohol, living sober, i feel like a spacecadet... i have no idea!
its like being unplugged from the matrix(alcohol) and having the innocense of a child in comprehending the reality around u...

One day at a time.

think i got a lil off track there somewhere... anyways nothing food/ drink is doing it for me anymore, i've gone from overeating to eating nothing in last few wks.
crazy anxious behaviour manifested in a range of ways incl. blanket therapy, late night fussing over an elusive object, craft or cleaning, replacement of obessions to anything but the drink. now toothache isn't helping.

All i desire is to live sober for today.....

thinking a power greater than myself , alcohol, fizzy, lollies and the rest of my vices is required here.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

I haven't had a particular food or drink craving in place of my craving for alcohol.
But what have I substituted for alcohol? Thinking.
Instead of reaching for a drink, I think things through.
Think, think, think. It has been a great substitution for drinking.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Really really cold Gala Apples are fantastic!! Ice water throughout the day. And with all the beer I drank, I crave small amounts of sugar from time to time, like 4 or 5 jellybeans or one square of chocolate. Enough not to consider it more than a small sugar boost.

I've also substituded genuine happiness without the real bad downs for the highs and lows of drinking.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I seemed to have substituted alcohol with food... I've been hungry nonstop for the past few days. I hope the hunger subsides soon though, as I really do not want to gain anymore weight!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

... a new life; why substitute with anything else?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I drank beer and liked the carbonation apparently as I now crave and drink constant perrier water.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Ohhhh.. okay. I see there's TWO trains of thought on this question - *I* thought you meant the sub-tull ways the disease leaks out when we quit drinking....

ok - there *is* one thing that substituted alcohol when I quit:

hope.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hmmm. . . lets see.
I substituted all of the following for alcohol:
  • drugs (of all kinds)
  • sex
  • cigarettes
  • sugar
  • caffeine
  • food in general

There are more than likely more but I cant think of them right now.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Benzo's like Ativan, Xanax, Valium ect.... I found those to be a great substitude for alcohol.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by least View Post
Just curious if anyone else went bonkers in substituting 'something', food or drink, for alcohol? I have found myself drinking copious amounts of fruit juices, especially orange juice. I find myself craving cold orange juice at all times of the day and nite. Just wondering if anyone had gotten hooked on some special food or drink after quitting drinking.
I believe the original meaning of this thread was what one has replaced their alcohol use with in sobriety not what things did one take when not using and not sober.

It is always a good thing to read the original post when responding to threads. Just my opinion though.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Coffee and Blue Bunny Birthday Party Ice cream. Ironically I am losing weight after stopping drinking....hmm. guess all of that alcohol was taking my liver too much time to deal with and everything else was stored as fat. But hey if I can eat ice cream and lose weight and burgers, steak, chicken and pasta ........then who needs a drink??????
Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

As far as cross addiction goes lust/sex was a major substitution for alcohol. For a while it was the best way I could get out of my head. I didn't become a full blown sex addict or anything, but my alcoholism traferred right over into my sex life.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Well I'm sitting here with a big cup of decaff coffe. I actualy gave up drinking caffine a few years ago as it tend to make me too jitery. But I still love the taste of it. But one thing I get major cravings for is dairy. Milk, cheese sandwishes, string cheese or heck even just opening a pack of cheese slices is good enough. I'm still fresh into my sobriety but I noticed other times when I've been away from drinking my cravings for dairy are through roof. I wouldnt think I have a calcium inbalance since normaly I ate a pretty sound diet of all the food groups. Just feel like a giant mouse! :rof
Old 04-23-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

weed fills in nicely
Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

kidding of course
Old 04-23-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
weed fills in nicely
Mcribb you made me laugh, thanks. Although what my mind first pictured was weeds in a garden and someone pulling them out to keep busy, then it dawned on me that you meant pot...... Hopefully that is a good sign....lol
Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

yeah it was a joke. Although the thought has crossed my mind, no hangovers, etc but it is illegal here. The thought passed my mind back a couple years ago, but come on. Time to clean up.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I just need to be drinking all the time. I guess thats why I could drink 24+ beers a day. It is 11am and I have had 2 glassess of water, 2 32 oz homemade Hazelnut sugar free lattes and a 12 oz diet mountain dew. Next I plan to have some green tea crystal light. I just seem to always need a beverage but as long as it isn't alcohol I will just keep on drinking!