Notices

having a rough spot

Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

having a rough spot

I had a great week at work... a good weekend. and Whamo sunday comes and for some reason I hit a bottom. I thought perhaps I wasn't having issues with riding mania followed by depression but well... that great 2 week period of intense ability to work hard and be happy... came to an end.

Next thing I know I am hating my wife... wishing for a way out... longing for a drink.

I know this isn't real but it still hurts. Thank God I have a year plus sobriety, a home group, a sponsor... and I have been asked to lead this saturday (known about it for a couple weeks)... because to get to that first drink I would have to turn my back to all of that.

Depressive cycles suck... but they last longer if I feed them with booze.

Hear I am right back where I started over a year ago... feeling the same screwed up way... but the difference is... I know what to do now. Today I seek concious contact with my higher power. I will attempt to find serenity and peace through meditation and prayer. This too shall pass.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Mega
Well done on using your tools!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol...

I think I am feeling it worse this week because I thought I was past this. It had been quite a bit of time since I have been down here.

I took my gaurd down... I got too happy... I swung too high... and the pedulum has swung the other way.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I read somewhere that it's only after
sadness we find happiness.

I don't intellectulize my life or recovery
I will send out prayers for your comfort.

Hopefully... other members will share their experiences
Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

life is cyclical, you know? up, down, up, down... and so on until we pass. the nice thing is that the longer we stay sober, the more we appreciate the good times and the less we obsess about the bad times.

way to go, getting spiritual instead of smashed up.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah - I have found it more helpful to me to accept the highs and the lows. They seem to be a part of life. If I'm not drinking and taking all my medications as directed, the downs and ups don't end up causing me to create crazy situations.

One of my favorite spiritual readings was Dark Night of the Soul. It helped me to be more accepting and deal better with those down times.

Just hang in their and share honestly with at least your sponsor.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thanks Debaucher on reminding me what i gotta do- im new to recovery - been on a total 'pink cloud' all last week then this week been v low (i think doing my step 4 is draining me a bit- though i know it'll be worth it in the end.) I hope things get better for u soon- "It works if u work it", something i always hear and thats just what u doing, so you'll be fine im sure!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks for that! That is exactly what scares me. On day 9 now I'm still High over my decision to quit once and for all this time and all the hope that that inspires.

Your share brings me back to reality..the pain isn't gone, it's just hiding at the moment.
Thanks for the warning! Hang in there! The sun will invariably come out tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Originally Posted by Debaucher View Post
Depressive cycles suck... but they last longer if I feed them with booze....This too shall pass.
So very true. So very, very true.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Debaucher my depression dissappeared after I had been sober for about 4-5 months, a lot of it was lifted after steps 4 & 5. I experience highs and lows, but not to the degree some others do, all I can do is offer prayers that you have this pass sooner then later.

Unigirl what helped me immensely when I was doing step 4 was reading the promises after step 5!! I can attest that if one does a good step 4 & 5 they do come true!!! Do not worry about getting step 4 perfect, no one does or can, just do the best you can, step 10 can be used to handle things that come to mind later and there is nothing that says one can not do more then one step 4 & 5 if they feel the need.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

update
My mood is coming back. I feel emotionally tired today but that is a step up from yesterday. I had a yoga class last night and that helped some. I needed to quite the mental chatter. I got a good night sleep. Resftfull.

and dito on what taz said...

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.
We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not.
They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
They will always materialize if we work for them.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Actually Debaucher I was talking about these promises after step #5:

Once we have taken this step, withholding nothing, we are delighted. We can look the world in the eye. We can be alone at perfect peace and ease. Our fears fall from us. We begin to feel the nearness of our Creator. We may have had certain spiritual beliefs, but now we begin to have a spiritual experience. The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will often come strongly. We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe.