Notices

Just starting....Need help and advice...

Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Just starting....Need help and advice...

OK,

I'm going to start an intense outpatient Hazelden program on the 21st of April. After I met with my counselor I really realized how I need help and how i can't do it alone.

I went 2 days after that without alcohol and just couldn't take it anymore. I severe anxiety and couldn't stop thinking about that first drink. I then realized that the entire bottle of wine that i did not want to drink was gone! I drink 4 days a week and black out reguarly....

I guess I really scared and was wondering some good ways to cut out cravings, i anyone who doesn't drink everyday but drinks heavily or at least 4 days a week experience withdrawl and how they deal with the pressures of not drinking, does it become easier?

Please help. I feel hopeless, embarassed and scared. I don't know why I can't be normal like everyone else.

Thank you.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

if I don`t take the first drink,my physical craving won`t bother me today.3-7 days without a drink and your physical body probably will be booze free in most cases.I drank orange juice with honey in it because my physical body was really wanting sugar,and I mistook it for booze.It helped.Now my mind kept focusing on a drink,that was my obsession to drink.

After my last drunk,which was 3 days,I worked a little,ate a lot,rested and slept as much as I could and made it to a meeting 6 days later.Been sober ever since.That was late July 1988.The little work I did helped me get my mind on something other than drinking for a little while.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I noticed those 2 days I did not drink I was eating more..... I am scared to pick up another addiction. Is it safe to work out when detoxing? This is just so hard.

Do you know any online resources that could help me become more educated?

Such a bummer.... I can't believe i could not make it.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I think it safe to workout some during detoxing.In the old days the oldtimers would get a newcomer and get them to pace the floor,back and forth, for hours.It burned up restless energy too
Old 04-12-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...

Here is an article you might not have read
No reason for embarrassment.

How We Get Addicted - TIME

De toxing from alcohol without medical
supervision can be dangerous. Please talk with
your medical doctor. Be both safe and sober.

Glad you are here with us

Last edited by CarolD; 04-12-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Link
Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 04-12-2008, 11:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm from Chicago and have attended AA meetings at Hazelton. I just want to tell you that you are going to one of best out patient treatment centers in the country. Hazelton has a very good success rate. Unfortunately, I did not have the funds to go there. Anyways good luck. I take Naltrexone for alcohol cravings but it really doesn't work.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THe advice about medical supervision while detoxing is good advice, since withdrawing from alcohol can be dangerous. Drink lots of water and fruit juice. I'm taking Campral which is supposed to help with cravings and to restore the chemical balance in the brain. It seems to be helping me with cravings. Ask your doctor if he/she thinks it might help you.

All the best to you! Keep coming back here for support. Also you may want to start going to AA. Theres another great source of support and friendship. It's easier to stop drinking if you aren't alone. AA and this site are great resources - use them! :ghug2:ghug3 You are not alone, we are right beside you, cheering you on!