Notices

Air travel after detox

Old 04-12-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Air travel after detox

Hi,

I think this is the most important forum on the net in terms of the help and support it gives to its participants. I am not an alcoholic, my brother is, so I hope you dont mind my asking questions on his behalf.

We are in a country where alcohol is illegal but widely and easily available, however, there are no detox centers. He's 42 and has been drinking for some 20 years. He's detoxed before outside of the country but has relapsed and its gotten worse. Sometimes disaster strikes, like a dui car accident or some crisis at work where he gets a warning. There have been 2 such incidents in the last 6 months where it has prompted him to quit cold turkey and he pulled through out of sheer will, but both occasions lasted about 2 weeks (the last time about 4 months ago). He's been drinking ever since, heavily on weekends.

He's been called upon to travel internationally for some work next week, so he's decided to detox himself on some valiums before he goes. His BP is high so the valiums are needed and he can travel with them.

Problem is, the long flights (first one about 8 hours) to his destination. He reckons if he can sleep by taking a valium he will be OK. He gets off the flight, waits about 2 hours for a connecting flight that will last another 4-5 hours. On all these flights, booze will be freely available.

How do alcoholics handle such situations? Especially coming off of a week of self-detoxing, would their be vulnerability to relapse be especially high? Of course the valiums can reduce his anxiety when not drinking, but would that be helpful (or advisable) to keep one off of drink while traveling? He knows that drinking while on valiums is a big no-no.

Sorry, for asking such difficult questions, I realize no two people are alike and everyone can react differently, but I hope to at least hear some views on this.

Thanks,
mimir
Old 04-12-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...

I have absolutely no personal experience on this situation.

While I did de tox with a friends help ...
I did not have to be traveling nor mentally sharp
in early recovery.

Darn good thing ...as my mind was too saturated
from years of excessive drinking.

Hope other members will have answers for you.

Blessings to you and your brother
Old 04-12-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Serenity today

Originally Posted by mimir View Post
...coming off of a week of self-detoxing, would their be vulnerability to relapse be especially high? Of course the valiums can reduce his anxiety when not drinking, but would that be helpful (or advisable) to keep one off of drink while traveling? He knows that drinking while on valiums is a big no-no.
My opinion: This is a recipe for disaster, based on your brother's history of relapses. I travelled alone a couple of days after treatment, a mistake, and relapsed. I'm sorry, I know you hope to hear something more positive, and perhaps you will get a different opinion from another contributor.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I appreciate you're frankness Stobert and having lived with an alky bro for 2 decades I guess I can understand. His drinking problem always seemed manageable before and he would travel a lot with no problems. Its just in the last year its gotten out of hand. At times he amazes with me with his will power, like staying in a hotel room for hours with a minibar but not touching it (usually when he has a work appointement or something important at hand), but also lately he seems to have much less control than before.

I guess the worst possible scenario for any alky trying to abstain is being cooped up on a plane with booze being served. If it was a bar, he could just walk out, not on a plane. And the minutes seem like hours, I can think of no worse situation for a recovering alky to cave in than on a long haul flight.

Fortunately, he just told me his assignment has been post-poned for a month. So hopefully he will proceed with his detox asap and be a bit more clear headed when the time comes for his travel. I realize though that when the time comes, it will not be any easier.

My regards,
Mimir