Notices

Naltrexone Implants

Old 04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Naltrexone Implants

Hi, Has anyone heard of these implants where you live. Obviously available in tablet form but there is a suggestion that the implants release slowly over 3-6 months to block receptors and assist cravings.
In Australia, it will cost $5000 plus anything else for a day surgery.
Any info or advise welcome so thanks.
JJ
Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You asked for advice, so here's my 2 cents:

AA is a lot cheaper, and will enable one to live in a way which relieves the obsession of the mind -- which un-recovered leads us to put alcohol into the body, which triggers a craving for more.

"The main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body." This is the reason people don't come out of treatment centers "recovered." Removing the alcohol from the body and taming the physical manifestation of craving is just one aspect of the disease. For me, the physical cravings died down much more quickly than the mental obsession. And that's the part I need to maintain on a daily basis. If I live in a way which keeps me emotionally and mentally sober, I can be pretty sure that I will remain physically sober as well...

NMB
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justjo View Post
Hi, Has anyone heard of these implants where you live. Obviously available in tablet form but there is a suggestion that the implants release slowly over 3-6 months to block receptors and assist cravings.
In Australia, it will cost $5000 plus anything else for a day surgery.
Any info or advise welcome so thanks.
JJ
Naltrexone did work for me to stop cravings, but the side effects were untolerable so I can't take it. Whatever you do, make sure you try the pill form 1st, if you haven't already, prior to making any consideration to the implants.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have absolutely zero experience in this area.

I do agree with NoMo that AA is a lot cheaper.

Sometimes I wonder how anyone stayed sober in the early years of AA before all these newfangled 'reduce cravings' medications.

Oh, wait a minute. They did it like me and NoMo, working on where the real problem was, right between the ears!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Jo...I know your trying everything to save your sister.
Is this your idea or hers?
What happens after the time is over?

Personally...I think we make too darn much of cravings

The physical ones are over with rather quickly
if not activated by additional alcohol.

A strong recovery program is needed for the
mental obcession.
Again...this is not going to work if
drinking is resumed.

JMO

Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anything that helps to reduce cravings is a positive thing. The year is 2008 not 1939. Naltrexone isn't even that expensive in pill form.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
Anything that helps to reduce cravings is a positive thing. The year is 2008 not 1939. Naltrexone isn't even that expensive in pill form.
Yes, it is 2008, and all I can share is what has worked for me very well
Old 04-09-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've talked with people online at another site who took the pill form and it worked for them. Just been digging through my drawer now i realized i have a prescription to it that i never filled from july 07. I'm just not comfortable taking a med to counteract another drug. When i haven't tried every program fully.

I despise implants personally, I've taken mental illness medication faithfully for eight years now, sorry, anything that takes away what little shred of independence i have i despise, i'm really sensitive that way. My guess is eventually people will be court ordered on to this drug implant, same as with what will happen with mental illness medication implants. Regardless of the side effects for the person.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

No med will work for any alcoholic that has no desire to stop drinking justjo.

Justjo is this your idea or your sisters? If your sister really wants to quit she will find the power to take the pills as prescribed.

Short of locking a person up and totally controling them, there is no pill or operation that is going to stop an alcoholic who still wants to drink from drinking.

If she wants to stop Justjo then there is no need for the operation, she will be more then willing to take the pills as prescribed.

Anti-craving meds help an awful lot of alcoholics who want to stop get over the early phases of sobriety.

Who wants this justjo, you or her?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Ok I confess, I saw it on a TV program here and you know I was having one of those - heck, does this really work moments, lets find out more.

She has tried the tablet form but doesnt take it long enough to work. Yes, ok , I know what you are going to say. She has to want it and I really, really, know this. I guess, I was thinking it may help her. You know how bad she is, (the worst, she may aswell be dead).

Yes I had a desperate moment (again!!) and was looking for any answers on this. I guess I knew it was gonna be a quick fix or not!!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In my experience, no medication is a quick fix.

I take meds for mental health and even they take at least 30 days to get into my bloodstream. Those pills don't fix me either, at least not totally. I have to meet weekly with a therapist and work with him, in combination with the medication.

The root of my addiction is in between my ears. I wake up every morning reminding myself of that.

It is a good idea to do research. Sometimes after we have tried everything else, we take the next step.