Notices

Completely new to withdrawaland needing help..

Old 04-02-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Completely new to withdrawaland needing help..

Hi All

Im a 30y/o male in Melbourne Australia. Im single, live with my mum (dad died 4 years ago) and i work f/t as a chef's assistant. Work is hard.

I want to ultimately get back into multimedia dn web design as thats where my heart is, and i believe i can do this however i drink too much. I dont drink during the day, but when night comes and ive finished work i drink on average 1 bottle of red, and 3 long-necks of beer (ie. roughly 16 standard drinks every night - for the past 2 years)...

Im scared of withdrawals..the thought of dt's......and nocturnal panic attacks (ie. insomnia)

what can i do guys ? with my history of drinking and my abuse of alcohol, am i likely to go through dt's ? please help me, i want to lose weight, gain confidence in myself, and overcome this habitual and repetitive life but im scared of withdrawal as i am extremely unfit and feel very low due to this fact and dont know how to move forward carefully...also i dont have much money./.......what would you do if you were in my shoes and you had hardly any money, but it was critical that you maintained your job (ie. im a massive support for my brothers business - he's my boss and he;s, great, but he knows i drink way too much after work)
Old 04-02-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

None of us are doctors here so we can't give you any medical advice, I would go see a doctor and check out AA. Welcome!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

There's no way to anticipate the DTs. Everyone is different.

The best advice anyone can give is to go for medically supervised detox. It's not to scare you by any means. There's just too many unknown factors.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

See a doctor before you stop drinking, then look into recovery programs, AA was what saved my life.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

go to the DOCTOR and be HONEST !

your worry about money should not keep you from saving your life friend...what about talking to your bro...telling him whats going on...letting him know that you want to change...be there for your mom , him and the business etc etc ...but you wont be able to be there for anyone if you dont get some help...and be there for YOURSELF 1rst...and you may need a couple of days off...

remember...your in for a hard road physically if you stay on the booze too ! I mean that much booze for that long dos'nt feel too great either does it ? ...the DOCTOR can possibly offer medication for those 1rst few critical days to ease some of that suffering ( if there is a need for it ) ...and monitor you while you Detox

Be safe ...try and do the right thing...go to the DOCTOR asap...and keep in mind...you can stop drinking...there is a solution to this endless cycle you are in.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I'm not a doctor.

If you want to test the waters though, plan on not drinking for the night. However, keep some booze around in case the withdrawl gets really bad, then you can drink to ease the pain of the withdrawl and not cause any bodily harm (like a seizure, you may have one and fall and crack your head open or some other terrible thing). If you are just sweating and can't sleep, tuff it out. This is a good way to find out how your body will react. Afterall, a doctor can't tell you about your own body. Doesn't sound like you drink enough to get a seizure though. But it can happen, I 've known people who have had it happen. So it's pretty serious stuff, this withdrawl crap. Once its over though, its over unless you start drinking like a mad man again. Then you gotta detour back and do it all over again.

Happy detoxings.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please read this link for information
and for some of our personal experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

16 drinks every night is a lot of alcohol. You will probably have some type of withdrawal. I would seek medical advice.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All I know is continuing drinking is not going to solve your problems.

I was one of the "Can't drink, can't NOT drink" crowd. If I went 3 or 4 hours without a drink, and my BAL dropped, all hell would break loose. I de-toxed my last time unsupervised, which I would not recomend. That said, one way or another, I was was gonna stop drinking. (If you get my drift)

Seek medical help, but do find a way to stop and stay stopped.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I did withdrawal without a Dr. and PLEASE GET TO A DOCTOR before you decide to do the same.

There is no way for me to describe in writing the pain and terror that self attended withdrawal can be like. I am very lucky to have survived. I was drinking between one and two fifths of Canadian Club a day at the end of my drinking and the withdrawal and DTs and spasms nearly killed me.

GET TO A MEDICAL SUPERVISED FACILITY!

Jon
Old 04-02-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

It's not a big thing - just go to the doctor, tell him what you told us, and do as he says...simple! Nothing to be afraid of or ashamed of! MIllions would love to do what you're suggesting, but not everyone finds the strength or the miracle. You have a plan to get back to your first love - that's awesome...but first things first...

My advice :

Go to doc - get idea/input on how to detox;
Then check out local AA meetings...there are awesome meetings in melbourne i was there recently...that's what's going to get you to not only stay stopped but fully live your life and your dreams.

Good luck!

Cathy31
x
Old 04-02-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Medically supervised detox is best. See a doctor and get some info on rehab places too. AA would be a good move also. But do see a doctor before doing detox on your own. Withdrawal from alcohol can be very dangerous.