Notices

3 months sober- Doctor visit and blood tests

Old 04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 months sober- Doctor visit and blood tests

Hey guys

Havn't posted here in awhile.

I used to drink everyday for about 8 years. About 8 months ago i stopped that pattern of drinking. The last 8 months I've drank on about 5 separate occasions. I havn't had a drink since dec 31 07 so technically i have 3 months sober as of today.

I went to the doctor a week ago to get blood tests and see if i needed to be treated for anything alchohol related. I've had some health concerns like - fatigue, muscle wasting, swollen stomach. About 10 months ago I went to a different doctor and he ran some tests and a lot of them were high. I wasn't completely honest with that doc when he asked me how much I drank. I think i told him now and then. I didn't much care for the doctor anyway because he spent maybe 3 minutes with me and never followed up. I had to personally ask for the test results to be faxed to me and was given no explanation what the high results meant. To me the high results meant I had to stop drinking so in that sense seeing all those high results was good for me even though I am still pretty unclear what they all mean.

So last week I went to a new doctor and I was completely honest about how much I used to drink. I showed him my previous blood tests and he wanted to check them now to see if there was much change.Again the appointment was very short..maybe 5 min and I didn't get to go through my symptoms. I got my results back today and there are still some high marks. One thing i notice is that i wasn't checked for any B vitamin deficiency. I think I should have. Also I talked to the doc but he said to check back in 6 mos. I didn't get much info out of him. I'm gonna be looking for another doc so my question is what else should i be tested for that is alchohol related? I know this isn't a medical forum but i thought it was a good place to ask.

I've had a complete blood count and that is normal. Magnesium, potassium both normal.

Metabolic panel is all normal except for ALT

may 2007- ALT 66 (range5-49)
march 2008- ALT 47 (range 5-40)

hepititus is all negative

I havn't had a liver ultrasound. My stomach is still swollen after stopping heavy drinking 8 months ago and altogether 3 months ago.

I know some might want to respond with "Ask your doctor" but with the current health system in the us you don't really get much time to ask your doctor anything.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm sorry but.....SR members are not allowed to
give medical opinions. Our SR Policy forbids
such.

Members are allowed to use
e mails or PM's to contact
you if they so choose.

..Personally....I'd be asking a doctor.
Not a bunch of anonymous strangers who may do
more harm than good ...even if they mean well.
I want to see the credentials on the wall.

Congratulations on your progress
Glad you came back to share with us.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am with Carol on this, I would not trust something as important as medical advice from anyone that I could not be sure was a doctor. A person can portray themselves as anything or anyone online and unless one is really good about knowing how to track the person there is no way to find out what is true and what is false. To be on the safe side I would only take my doctors advice. JMHO
Old 04-01-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd just like to say, kudos on having the courage to go to the Doctor and be honest.
I'm 8 days in, and have an appointment for a full Phsyical on Monday. I'm scared ********.

One suggestion on finding a good Doctor, is just asking your friends and good neighbors.

Good luck, and Congrats on the 3 months!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I'm sorry but.....SR members are not allowed to
give medical opinions. Our SR Policy forbids
such.

Members are allowed to use
e mails or PM's to contact
you if they so choose.

..Personally....I'd be asking a doctor.
Not a bunch of anonymous strangers who may do
more harm than good ...even if they mean well.
I want to see the credentials on the wall.

Congratulations on your progress
Glad you came back to share with us.
Hi

I understand the rule but disagree with your characterizations. Alcoholism is a disease. Therefore any questions that have to do with alcoholism therefore could be considered "medical opinions".

Let me use an example. I have a endocrine condition and belong to a forum where other members discuss the disease. We are anonymous strangers. I've found that people with the disease very often know more about it than many doctors do, even one's trained in endocrinology. They know more about testing, they know more about medications that work, they know more about symptoms. None of these people I assume has a diploma on the wall.

That same idea can be applied to alcoholism. Those of us who are alcoholics are more than likely to have medical conditions related to our alcohol use that may need to be treated. I fail to see how asking other members what deficiencies they may have because of alcoholism translates to asking for medical opinions anymore than asking how to stop drinking alcohol or what kind of diet they should eat would be a medical opinion.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Hi

I understand the rule but disagree with your characterizations. Alcoholism is a disease. Therefore any questions that have to do with alcoholism therefore could be considered "medical opinions".

Let me use an example. I have a endocrine condition and belong to a forum where other members discuss the disease. We are anonymous strangers. I've found that people with the disease very often know more about it than many doctors do, even one's trained in endocrinology. They know more about testing, they know more about medications that work, they know more about symptoms. None of these people I assume has a diploma on the wall.

That same idea can be applied to alcoholism. Those of us who are alcoholics are more than likely to have medical conditions related to our alcohol use that may need to be treated. I fail to see how asking other members what deficiencies they may have because of alcoholism translates to asking for medical opinions anymore than asking how to stop drinking alcohol or what kind of diet they should eat would be a medical opinion.
Wallace, the bottom line is that whether or not you agree with it the Policy here at SR is No Medical Advice.

There is a difference between sharing experience, strength, and hope regarding a persons experience with alcoholism and asking someone to interpreting lab results. I have been a nurse for 20 years and spent 12 of that also working as a paramedic and I still would not give medical advice over the internet. I easily could have interpreted your results and given you my advice but I choose not to do that out of respect for this forum.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Wallace...
This is the SR Policy rule from the Forum
Please do not give medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice.
It's clear and to the point.

Sorry you feel it's too restrictive
or you don't agree with my reply.
however...we do follow the SR guidelines.

As I said...members may contact you
privately on this matter.

Last edited by CarolD; 04-01-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Quote Aded
Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile

The next time you see your Dr, just tell him that you may be taking up a few more mins of his time as you have questions that you would like answers to. Your paying him, if you can make a list of your questions before you get there they can't read minds. Take notes and don't be afraid to speak up if you don't understand what he said, ask him to explain exactly what he means.
Linda