Notices

withdrawl diet

Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

withdrawl diet

Hey all, I hope everyone is having a good day. I tried searching through the posts, but to no avail (wrong search terms, I guess...) but I seem to remember some thread about getting sober and dietary suggestions.

Not dietary suggestions to help with sobriety, but rather things that are good to eat when detoxing, supplements, etc.

If someone could point me in the direction of that thread, or another resource about this topic, I'd be filled with gratitude.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course a healthy diet is best.. Vegetables and fruits and low fat. One supplement I've found that helps me sleep better is saint john's wort.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As de tox/withdrawal is usually over physically
in 3 or 4 days ....I don't think there is much
time to do anything about diet.

...Most of us were too sick to be concerned
I could not keep food down for 48 hours.

I suggest you try a soft diet easily digested.
For me it was broth and ice cream.
Depended on if I felt hot or cold.
Drink oodles of water...caffeine makes for jitters.

Then....
Many alcoholics follow an eating plan in early
sobriety. I did for 6 months.
I found mine in the book
"Under The Influence"
Google for hypoglycemia for info.

I did start taking vitamins about 5 days sober.
A daily multi + a B complex + Zinc

Hope this helps...good to see you again
Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks! That's what I'm looking for, probably, the diet from "Under the Influence." I will pass it on.

I suppose you are right about the actual withdrawal thing. I'm not an alcoholic myself, but I am an Italian, and it's dang hard for me to accept that there isn't a perfect food for every malady.

Last edited by good_luck; 03-31-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: that smiley was too enthusiastic
Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That book is great!
It also discusses supplements and vitamins.

I'm sooo glad you have the book
that convinced me to quit drinking.

I do hope your loved one will find success.
Blessings to the two of you.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit drinking two weeks ago and I feel that I still have some lingering physical symptoms. I know about paws. I guess when they say the physical side is over in 5 days they really mean the overwhelming physical stuff.

I had my last drink about 18 days ago. Since then my diet has been non stop comfort food. Total junk. Lots of milkshakes. Wings, potatoes, Pizza, grilled cheese.

There has to be something going on. I have gained about 10 pounds now. I have to start a new diet and control the junk. Fortunatly I am normally rather skinny.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

There's a treatment center in Minneapolis that focuses on alternatives to the 12-steps. I'm not too familiar with their methods (and I'm not promoting this method). But I've been told one of the major components to their program is diet. They have some books that cover the subject. Maybe that's what you're looking for?

Last edited by CarolD; 04-01-2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Commercial Link Removed
Old 04-01-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One thing i started eating after I quit drinking was trail mixes. I'd make my own. They are very filling and if you use the right seeds they are really nutritious.

Get some roasted pumpkin seeds and unsalted sunflower seeds(out of the shell). Pumpkin seeds are loaded with nutritional value, lots of potassium, magnesium, loads of protein.

Go to a market like trader joes or whole foods and buy dried fruit like dried cranberries, dried blueberries and raisens.

Then mix together with the seeds. The seeds are high in calories so you want to mix them with the dried fruit.

munch on them and it takes care of that sweet craving you may get and also fills you up with nutritious calories.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're on the right track!

One thing I did was to listen, really listen, to my body and what it wanted for nourishment.

I also found, that as I began to care for myself in general, it was very easy to choose the right things to eat. It's all about balance.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
One thing I did was to listen, really listen, to my body and what it wanted for nourishment.
I really agree with Anna about this point. I found that I would start to crave specific foods and have no idea why. These cravings ended up being linked to some vitamin deficiencies. One thing I seem to forget is that my body is pretty darn smart at telling me what I need to know. I just forget to listen.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I really agree with Anna about this point. I found that I would start to crave specific foods and have no idea why. These cravings ended up being linked to some vitamin deficiencies. One thing I seem to forget is that my body is pretty darn smart at telling me what I need to know. I just forget to listen.
Well, my body is telling me to eat Krispy Kreme, Vinegar+Salt chips, and drink milk and water by the gallon.
My body can't be trusted, it appears.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

For the first month or so, I was craving fish like crazy. Go figure.

One thing that helps me, for whatever reason, is really cold cranberry juice. Besides that, I was told by a lot of people to load up on B-vitamins. You can't go wrong with adding a good multivitamin (get the green-foods type if you can find them: they smell terrible, but are much better than the normal kind).
Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HI,
I am on day 3 and have really looked at this this time. Good healthy food, veg, fruit, pulses, etc the whole Earth Mother stuff plus some basic vitamin and mineral supplements tho with the food I am eating they are probably not required. Oh and Milk thistle for my liver. BUT my body is used to BIG sugar hits from the booze, so I am having friut juice when I want and a snickers bar at the time that I would normally start to drink about an hour later I go for a walk then have supper. So far so good! Hope this helps

Pete
Old 04-02-2008, 02:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am an Italian, and it's dang hard for me to accept that there isn't a perfect food for every malady.
I am English/French, I think my French part agrees with your Italian part!! LOL

Balanced diet, lots of water, something sugary to help with cravings, multivitamin & B Complex. I still do the multivitamin & B Complex daily.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank a homemade herbal tea with catnip (good for stomach aches) and chamomile (for calming) and milk thistle (for detoxing the body). (as well as other herbs with medicinal properties) I drank it a lot and it helped me relax a bit in the first week(s). I also took vitamins, especially B complex, as alcohol depletes vitamin B. The best food I could tolerate was soup: vegetable soup and chicken noodle. Comfort food. And lots of fruit juices.