Notices

Antabuse - my story

Old 04-20-2011, 12:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Re:antibuse

Originally Posted by antabuseuser View Post
I have been an alcoholic for a long time. I had trouble relating to people in AA because I never hit rock bottom, so I rarely went to meetings and never quit drinking for a long time. 2 years ago my doctor offered me Antabuse. After a 'last' binge I started taking 500mg/day. After a while I cut back to 250mg/day. I was sober for 9 months on it.

After 9 months I decided that I wanted to drink at a concert, so I stopped taking the med 2 weeks before the concert. After the concert I went on a 2 day binge (no big surprise). Then I went back to the drug and stopped drinking again for several months. I have followed this pattern for the past 15 months - a while on the drug and sober, then off and drinking for a few days, and then back on.

My dosage is now 250mg every other day. I have experimented and found that I need to be off it for 4 days before I can drink without side effects (AT THIS DOSAGE). When I drink too soon, my blood pressure goes way up and my entire body turns beet red - very scary.

Overall I'm very happy with the results of the drug. My system only works because I have the willpower to return to it after a few days of drinking. I feel that Antabuse has allowed me to 'control' my drinking better than I could do on my own or with meetings (gee - do I sound like an alcoholic? Yes). Your mileage may vary...
Thanks...for the observation. Certainly...food for thought.