Notices

Antabuse - my story

Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse - my story

I have been an alcoholic for a long time. I had trouble relating to people in AA because I never hit rock bottom, so I rarely went to meetings and never quit drinking for a long time. 2 years ago my doctor offered me Antabuse. After a 'last' binge I started taking 500mg/day. After a while I cut back to 250mg/day. I was sober for 9 months on it.

After 9 months I decided that I wanted to drink at a concert, so I stopped taking the med 2 weeks before the concert. After the concert I went on a 2 day binge (no big surprise). Then I went back to the drug and stopped drinking again for several months. I have followed this pattern for the past 15 months - a while on the drug and sober, then off and drinking for a few days, and then back on.

My dosage is now 250mg every other day. I have experimented and found that I need to be off it for 4 days before I can drink without side effects (AT THIS DOSAGE). When I drink too soon, my blood pressure goes way up and my entire body turns beet red - very scary.

Overall I'm very happy with the results of the drug. My system only works because I have the willpower to return to it after a few days of drinking. I feel that Antabuse has allowed me to 'control' my drinking better than I could do on my own or with meetings (gee - do I sound like an alcoholic? Yes). Your mileage may vary...
Old 03-29-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you are pleased with your lifestyle
so be it.

I do hope you are having regular blood
test for liver enzymes function.
That was a must for me when I used Antabuse.
My doctor insisted or no script for the drug.

Welcome to SR...
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Interesting approach to dealing with alcohol intake concerns. For me controlling my drinking in any fashion, including the way you are trying, was not an option for me. My life was unmanageable from the inside out and it was more than just a case of slowing down my drinking. I needed a solution to my living problem.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Interesting post. Thank you.

I was thinking the whole time - "this is about how the OP controls their drinking" - and it seems you agree.

I had to quit drinking, there was no inbetween. Attempts at control always brought me closer and closer to death.

Does your Doctor know that sometimes you stop/start taking the medication?

I am pretty sure it is not prescribed so people can take the occasional binge and go back to being dry.

Thank you for the post.

~a
Old 03-29-2008, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took Antabuse for about three months when I last quit drinking 19 years ago...I have seen people die from drinking with this drug and also a person being loaded into an ambulance with sky high blood pressure and a beet red face.

I would be so afraid I would mess up and die if I did what you are doing...pretty dangerous...bet the doc would not prescribe it if he knew what you are doing.

retiredmom_oldwoman
Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Antabuseuser, welcome to the forums.

I had real success with antabuse for over a year. Then, my doctor talked me out of continuing with it. Consequently, I started drinking again.

When I was on it I never tested it to see if it was working. I took my pill every morning without fail. The personal gains I made during that year were quite astounding to me. My health was great, I was mentally alert, pretty much a happy camper. Even after a year I was able to see how the benefits of not drinking were accumulating.

I think that where I failed was neglecting to work on some sort of a program while I was on it. I don't do AA but I did find that REBT helped me at first. I relied too heavily on the drug as a deterrent.

I would discuss with your doctor the consequences of this med. I will make an appt soon with mine and try to get back on it. For me, there were no side effects from this med and it worked very well. It sure isn't a miracle "cure" and is merely a tool to help.

And yes, I've fallen back to old habits but by golly I sure am NOT going to stop trying. This is life and death, a choice. I want me to make that choice, not the booze.

I have some rather abrupt life style changes happening now and I hope that with these and what I've learned from my many years of recovery I will get to where I want to be.

Good luck to you and keep well

Ron
Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank on Antabuse and ended up in the E.R. My blood pressure was through the roof and I became bright red. I did stay sober for a few months on it though.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i've thought often of going on it, the finality of it if taken every day. Of course i haven't taken it. No drunk would ever want to.

I wonder what this site would look like if every single person was on it. No choice but to work with each other on our sober lives.

I guess until there are injections for that drug, that last weeks, like with some mental illness drugs injection wise these days, theres still a way around it.

I would have found the way around it also i think.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If alcohol consumption was my problem, I may have tried that.

Unfortunately for me, my mind is where the issue lies, the alcohol was just a symptom.

Like putting a band-aid on cancer for me.

Glad it worked for you!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back David
Old 04-01-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Wow! As a nurse, all I can say is that's scary. I realize this is working for you, but what a razor's edge!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ive been using antabuse for nearly 6 months, and its been great. ive had
no side-effects, i can have very impulsive thoughts of drinking, and in a while it passes, and this is where i found antabuse fantastic. it gets me through that phase.
of course i believe that its only a crutch until i sort my mind out. i am going to AA though and the life i have at the moment is amazing to what it was 6 months ago.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Where do you get antabuse?

I have contacted several doctors in dallas (mainly quick stop places), and none of the doctyors wanted to prescribe it. Does anyone know a doctor in Dallas that will monitor use of Antabuse? If not, can you suggest where I might go to look for one? Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Andrew...

If you ask your questions in a
local AA meeting....someone will know.

You are correct...Antabuse does need
to be monitored often by a Doctor.

Hope that helps...
Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Interesting, I have never heard of someone using Antabuse to control their alcohol consumption, my impression is that it is designed for you to remain totally abstinant. I would suggest talking to your Dr. to make sure that you are not risking any severe side effects with your method.

My only other thought is that I have seen many stories involving willpower and alcohol, willpower rarely wins out.

Good luck to you - I hope this method is healthy and I hope it keeps working for you!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I checked with the locall AA group office, and they claim not to know of any doctors prescribing this medicine. If anyone knows of one in the Dallas fort worth metroplex, please let me know!!@ Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Andrew...I said go to a live AA meeting.

You asked the wrong people.

Take care...
Old 04-05-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think most doctors do not want to prescribe this because if one drinks on it there are serious consequences. My heart rate was going through the roof. It is very dangerous to drink even after stopping for 7-14 days. I really felt like I was going to have a heart attack and I'm only 30.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I only had to "test" it once to realize it works. I will never forget the feeling.

But I thought long term it was bad for you. I had always heard it was very hard on your liver. (Of course so is booze).
I just don't think it is a long term solution. I would talk to a different doctor,or dig a lot deeper on the internet about long term side effects.
While it is no doubt a tool to stop drinking I think there are better (more healthy) ways to do it.
Fred
Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
skg

I have been prescribed Antabuse (disulfuram), along with Campral, Librium, Lexapro, and a host of other goodies and psychotropics. That stuff made me an alcoholic!!

Antabuse works exactly as advertised and the effects of drinking on it are hellish, violent, and severe, and (some have argued) suicidal. Ask me how I know. I had similar effects to others described here, but I, too, learned that if I took it M-W, I could drink by Friday and only vomit/cramp/etc. a little bit if I drank certain types of wine. I played that game for about 1 year and 6 months, but the meds interfered with my drinking and my thinking, so I stopped taking them like a good self-diagnosing alcoholic.
Drinking on Anti-Deps allowed me to drink more in quantity, with less effect, except that it started shutting down my vitals--like blindness, hypothalamus (thermostat, heartrate, etc.) functions, speech dissipation, and so forth. Oddly enough...
That stuff made me an alcoholic...
ROTFLMAO!!!
AA became the last house on the block--AND the easier, softer way.