Notices

I know you're all getting tired of me but...

Old 03-21-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think what concerns me is you went off of your medications against doctor's advice, and are now trying to withdraw from the alcohol.

There are warnings on a multitude of psychiatric drugs that warn not to stop abruptly without consulting with your doctor.

I just see you making things twice as hard on yourself, honestly.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I did consult my doctor, freedom, and he said it was okay for me to do it even though he didn't want me to since he was sooo convinced that a medication would finally work even though they haven't for a YEAR. I'm the patient with the feelings and I had to test/feel it out without medications for once, at least I'm trying to be PURE.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Getting Sober & Staying Sober

Hi Paulos, :ghug

I am glad you are back...I saw your name on the list of people doing the Chat Group but didn't see you make a comment.

I have Chronic Depression/Anxiety and I take meds for this....but they waited to diagnose my depression until I had been sober 9 months to be sure the alcohol wasn't the cause of depression.

I was first diagnosed with depression/anxiety when 14 but went on and off of my meds most of my life until 19 years ago when I finally hit my bottom & asked for help.

I had help from a counselor, AA, and my doc but I worked hard with my AA Program and other sober people to stay sober for myself. I wanted sobriety more than anything else in my life when I quit.

Hope you can get it together soon...you are a special person...keep coming back so we can give you support.

KELSH
Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks a lot kelsh I appreciate your words, now I'm on a strict campaign to stop drinking and to stay away from nicotine/booze to see what is really causing my anguish.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When you are having your "OCD" moments like you mentioned about the bathtub, do you ever just step back, relax, and take your time to figure the situation out? I know for me I was always blasting through all my problems/ challenges and would get very upset and very frustrated very fast. I learned to take a step back, take a breath, and assess the situation before I do anything.

Take your time, don't rush. When I rush I get upset and never get anything done. Now I step back and take time to look at whats happening and what I need to do. Take your time, especially with sobriety. Stop counting days and just live for today. In all reality that's all we have anyways.

Do your best for today, and worry about tomorrow, well, tomorrow. Nice to see you back!
Old 03-21-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I did consult my doctor, freedom, and he said it was okay for me to do it even though he didn't want me to since he was sooo convinced that a medication would finally work even though they haven't for a YEAR.
Were you drinking while you were taking the meds? Alcohol impedes the effectiveness. They may help if you take them without drinking. Don't give up on the idea of meds working. Get clean of the booze than re-access.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

good point user name... hm. how'd you manage to control yourself? lol
Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Paulos I'm glad you're on here and that you haven't said *uck it like I did soooooo many times when someone said something I didn't like or one little thing went wrong. For me, I would let something so simple as a cigarette breaking when I got it out of the pack as an excuse for me to give up trying and get drunk and high.

You asked if we thought the alcohol contributed to feelings of anxiety . . . oh yeah! I went to so many psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors and everyone of them asked me right away if I drank or used drugs. And of course I lied. They put me on sooo many meds that I was a walking zombie. And I'd bet my final dollar that a big reason that was happening to me was because I was drinking with them. Alcohol alters the affects of just about any med. There are antibiotics that alcohol renders useless. Look at all of the people who took benzos and drank and were tore up from the floor up! In my opinion, and they're like rear ends, everyone has one, if you haven't stopped the meds for too long, just focus on the alcohol withdrawl. You may find that the meds work wonders for you. I have to take Prozac, and I could let that bug the crap out of me. But for me, I have to take it. It's a fact of life for me. Just like a diabetic needs insulin, I need it. Also, there is a number of sayings in AA/NA. You've heard many, "One Day at a Time" is a big one that many have shared with you. There's also two that come to mind after reading this thread. "Keep it Simple" and "Easy Does It" I only say this because you are trying to overdue it right now, IMO, trying to get off the alcohol, meds and smokes. I'd have tore my hair out if someone tooks my smokes in early Recovery.

And finally, I think it was BEST who said, if someone called you a kid, it's only in reference to your age. Look at me, I'm 45. To you, I'm an old Broad. But to someone in their 60's, I'm still a kid. I seriously don't think anyone meant anything negative by that. Just think about that, ok. I have a son close to your age and he is "my kid"

Hang in there!
Judy:ghug2
Old 03-21-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
good point user name... hm. how'd you manage to control yourself? lol

Actually this was from a book called "The road less traveled" by M. Scott Peck M.D. For me I had the realize I was doing it (not taking my time), and stop. Step back and assess.

AA has helped me as well, I felt so alone for so long until I walked through the door with my tail between my legs and decided to see if it was for me. I was on tons of meds for about 1 year and stopped them after I decided they just made me tired. I guarantee you would like AA.

PS- If you want me to send you my copy of "The road less traveled" PM me and I can send it out in the mail to you. I have read it a few times. In my AA group we do an informal "bookshare". We lend books to eachother as long as the person who borrowed it agrees to share it with another alcoholic. We know we aren't going to get it back, but if it may help someone else that's better than it sitting on our coffee tables. Let me know, I'd be glad to send it to you if you will read it.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Hi Paulos

I've been here for a while now and it just occurred to me whilst reading this thread that you might find DBT useful. It's a form of CBT that can be applied across a range of issues.

Here's a link:

Distress Tolerance Handouts

and there's other skills info there too you might find useful as well.

I feel for you, I know anxiety and depression very well, it can be a bloomin' nightmare to deal with, but there are things you can do to help yourself.

Have you explored your options re counselling? It's done me the world of good in so many ways.

Good luck Paulos - this will pass if you are prepared to take some steps to help yourself :0)

Go well!