Notices

Safest method

Old 03-18-2008, 01:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Safest method

After much deliberation and hearing that my old neighbor (an alcoholic) died last Friday, I've decided enough is enough.

I've been drinking very heavily for the last 8-months, since my girlfriend left me. Its the one things that has brought me consolation during this period but like any addiction has become more of a burden than a blessing. I'm starting to feel the strain, hangovers are unbearable, night sweats occur when I don't drink.

I'm wondering if its safer to ween yourself off to lesson symptoms, perhaps a drink or two before bed? I know this could seem counterproductive to some, but the willpower is certainly there. I just don't want to experience any ridiculously painful withdrawals, though perhaps that would teach me a valuable lesson.

I'd just rather not wind up in the hospital, I f'n hate hospitals!

Thanks and hello btw.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Withdrawals are different for everyone, but to me it sounds like yours would not be dangerous. I think the first thing you need to do is try going one day without. I would recommend planning to go without for at least one day, preferably when you don't have to work the next day.

Continuous drinking will feel worse than stopping. It will wear you down to nothing until you can establish at least some small stint of sobriety.

Start out by going just one day... And go from there.

Be safe.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know what 'very heavily' means to you, to me it would be 4 or 5 glasses of wine, a week. That's heavy for me. We're all different and I've never been addicted, but I would advise you see a doctor or some other medical professional, tell them honestly about your drinking and take it from there. Take care x
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Trisomy first of all welcome to SR.

Number one thing to remember is NONE of us are doctors here at SR!!!

You need to go and see your doctor first thing and be perfectly honest with your doctor about your drinking.

Detoxing can and does kill folks even in some rare cases under medical supervision.

Night sweats if you do not drink are not a good sign of an easy detox at all, the DT's usually do not set in until the 3rd to 5th day, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

There are numerous ways detox can kill you, first of all your blood pressure can go crazy leading to heart attack or stroke and there are no real warning signs like if this happens you are going to have a stroke in an hour, it just happens and you are dead!

The DT's can kill you via stroke, siezure, heart attack, and once again there is no warning ahead of time.

I was honest with my doctor, he had me medically detoxed, even with all of the meds they were giving me my blood pressure was all over the place, I still got the shakes into the third day of detox even with all the meds. They kept me full of anti-siezure meds to keep me from going into DT's and having the bugs and spiders come!

See a doctor, detox kills!!!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Best not to take chances, for the reasons stated here. I did a medical detox. Outpatient programs have them too, so you don't have to show your butt and wear slippers.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I stupidly did it at home. I took vacation days, went in my room and locked the door. I wish I had gone to treatment. It was the most unpleasant week of my life.

I agree with Taz, sweats are a good indication that you're gonna have a rough time.

There's a sticky at the top about withdrawals and it was my saving grace during that week. My experience is in there.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome

Again, no one here can in good faith give you that advice. It is a medical decision.

That said, there is a guy here who successfully weaned himself. The thought of it sends shivers up an down my spine. I couldn't do that nor would I wish to. I now have over a month and am doing rather well. I shudder to think what I'd be doing if I'd tried to "wean." To me, a progressive withdrawal would be "unmanageable" and only prolong the insanity. I know most here would agree.

Here is the thread on weaning that I was referring to:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-weaning.html

He hasn't posted since 3/2. Draw your own conclusions.

Best of luck!

warrens
Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The safest method is whatever your doctor suggests.

This does not necessarily mean a long term treatement center.
Physical de tox usually is done by day 4.
There are meds to ease withdrawal symptoms.

Do read this for our experiences and general information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Be both safe and sober!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I heard this from an alcohol counsellor

"I can take a herion addict and lock him in a room for a week, when I let him out, he won't be happy for sure, but he will be alive".

"I can take an alcoholic and lock in a room for a week, when I go to let him out, he very well might be dead".

Go see your doctor please.

Under doctor's supervision I weaned myself down at home, but it was only done on her advice. After a few weeks I was down to zero booze, I then, through the support of my online program, waited for three weeks and went to a 28 day treatment inpatient program, as I believe that knowledge is power, and the more knowledge the better.

Seren