Notices

First Step for Me

Old 03-16-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Member in S W France

Post First Step for Me

Hi Im Michael and I am taking my first step to sobrietry today after 30 years of heavy drinking . i Owe it to my lovely wife and daughters one of them told me I was making her life a misery with my Binge drinking habits. I live in the South West of France surrounded by wine and vinyards so I think it is going to be quite Hard for me so any support that anyone can give would be helpful best regards Michael aged 45
Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael,

I'm glad you found us!

My suggestion would be that you focus on yourself and do this for yourself. It's hard, but you can find lots of support here.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

hi Michael,

Welcome..glad that you are here!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

You might want to consult your doctor
about a medically suprevised de tox.
Sometimes withdrawing from alcohol can be dangerous

Keep posting with us....we do understand.
Blessings to you and your family
Old 03-16-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member in S W France

Thankyou all for your kind thoughts I managed to find an English speaking Meeting about 45 mins from me which is great news and I have the no. of the Supervisor who has been sober for 5 years so I cant wait for tuesday to meet other sufferers. My dad died from Alchohol abuse and I think I was heading the same way into the Gutter Best wishes Michael
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Michael, welcome to SR. I'm 44 and finally got serious enough about sobriety to really reach out for help a little over two months ago. I spent many years trying to fight it on my own. Good for you for seeking that help right away. You should heed Carol's advice and talk to a doc just to be on the safe side. Glad you are here keep coming back.
Dan
Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member in S W France

Thankyou Dan for your support I will have a word with a doctor next week ill keep you posted
Old 03-16-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR! I wish you the best in pursuing a better way of life and hope you find all the peace, serenity, and happiness you deserve.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Michael, that's great to see you're taking the first steps to sobriety. Going to meetings and posts here have been a great help in keeping me sober.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Godspeed on your journey Michael!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Admission and acceptance is the hardest step.

It's also, the most rewarding thing you can do to improve your life.

Praying, for your recovery!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the forum! I"ll keep you in my thoughts. I"m just quitting myself, on day four, but on day one I didn't think I"d get to day four. Having medical supervision would be ideal tho I did my detox at home. I drank a lot of water and fruit juice and chamomile tea. YOu can do it. ONe day at a time.:ghug:praying
Old 03-16-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Family Alcoholics....

Hi Michael,

I was 48 when I quit drinking and had drank off & on-with the last four years every day-for 24 years. I detoxed in a hospital setting, went to in-patient treatment for 30 days, and attended AA every day for one year. As I did progress with the steps and using the program in my daily life, I reduced the number of meetings to three a week.

After one year of sobriety I went back to college & got my BA Degree. That was my long-term goal. All of my kids were raised but one and she was 11 when I quit drinking. I worked half days and went to classes in the late afternoons, early evenings.

I also had major depression along with my alcoholism so got both treated at the same time with different counselors.

I then got a job at the same Mental Health Center that I went to for my counseling for my alcoholism and depression.

I had a lot of support from my family, friends, & co-workers. I did a lot of work on myself and for myself. I wanted to be sober more than anything else in my life.

Welcome to Sober Recovery...this is a good place to share your feelings & progress as you move along in recovery. We share our experiences, strengths and hope with others so they may find a path to sobriety. :ghug

kelsh
Old 03-16-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
doing nothing

I very much hope you success in sobriety.
Deciding to quit drinking was easily one of the best decisions in my life.
I quit drinking today too, but it was one year ago.
I hope that on this date next year, we are both celebrating a sobriety anniversary.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Michael, wecome from a fellow wino. I wish you well -- your life can change for the better once you get some sobriety behind you!!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael

this is a great place. Yeh, the south of France might not be the easiest place to give up LOL but it's always possible.

There's lots of help here. Good luck.

D
Old 03-17-2008, 01:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Member in S W France

Thankyou Kelsh for your support and story I do so wish I can mirror just some of the results you have achieved, at the moment I lack self belief and it is only my 2nd day and there is only one meeting a week so finding this site is important for my success and future because the options to sobriety are too hard to comprehend.

Love and light to everyone Michael
Old 03-17-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Member in S W France

My second day today and for the first time in my life I feel positive about the outcome. I know its early days but the support I am recieving from everyone I speak to is overwhelming and good. Together we can win

Michael
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Michael, please stay in touch and feel free to ask us questions, seeing a doctor is an excellent idea just to be on the safe side.

I was 52 when I quit, 4 of my kids were grown, I was grown but still at home, and 2 were in High School. I went through medical detox, really did not have a choice in that matter, things would have gotten really bad for me without medical detox. AA was what made the difference for me. Just remain willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober today. Just focus on staying sober one day at a time, that is how I do it, tomorrow it will be 18 months sober for me and I could not have done it any other way exceot one day at a time using AA.

Keep posting here, there are a ton of AA folks here and there is a 12 step forum you can use as well as this one and the "New to recovery forum. There are some great folks here, both AA and not, that can lend you support and suggestions. Recovery is recovery, AA or otherwise.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Member in S W France

Well here I am on the start of day 7 ( one week) into my sobriety and new life . I feel amazing at the moment , I still have a lot of the problems left behind by my drunken past, but I am embracing them in a new light with a clear head and with an intelligent mind as opposed to my former drunken half life of running away and burying my head in the sand . I wish all of SR a happy Easter and Thankyou again for being here.